Autism and the Covid Vaccination: anyone been vaccinated?

Page 2 of 14 [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2021, 5:49 am

I’m scheduled to get the vaccine tomorrow. I am glad to be able to get it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2021, 7:42 am

Excellent!

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2021, 7:55 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
These RNA vaccines are designed to kick your body into a dramatic immune response. People with severe allergies, pregnant people, and some other conditions are not supposed to get the vaccine at all.

It is not a medication, true, but if you are very sensitive to other things, you might want to talk to your doctor. Then if the vaccine is mandated you may be able to receive it under a doctor's care and get them to observe you for a few hours to make sure you're okay.

(This is from my neurologist and my son's allergist)

If the OP is lucky enough to live in a country where the Oxford Vaccine is available, that's a DNA vaccine. Might make a difference.

kimosabe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2021, 3:35 pm

I've been fully vaccinated for more than a month now. Took the 1st one on the first week it was available in the US back in December. Took the 2nd in early Jan. Mine's was Pfizer.

1st shot I had was weakness in my left arm, the injection site for about 24 hrs. 2nd shot was just weakness but more intense than the first one. That lasted for 2 days. This was my left arm again. Most of my coworkers had it worse on the 2nd dose. Most I heard about was fatigue. I didn't have fatigue but I also had a wisdom tooth taken out 2 days before. My immune system may have been kicking.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2021, 5:46 pm

I would like to get it, so maybe I won't feel as at risk from people who won't wear their mask.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2021, 7:06 pm

Starting Monday in New York State people with comorbid conditions are eligible for the vaccine. Developmental Disabilities is one of those comorbids.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Asple Pie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Feb 2021, 3:13 am

Thanks everyone for your replies, they have all been very helpful. I'm still a bit concerned, but at least I'm no longer terrified. I'm very happy to know that those of you who have been vaccinated have only experienced mild side effects for a short time.
We don't have any of the vaccinations here where I live yet, they are going through the approval process right now. We are looking at Pfizer and Astra Zeneca.
I watched a discussion between 2 evolutionary biologists who were talking about the new vaccinations. They were both a little concerned because some of them use a new, untested mechanism of action. I didn't really understand what that meant, but apparently, the AZ one may carry less risk because it uses an existing and tested mechanism of action. I should listen again and try to understand better.

Even though they were concerned about long term risks, they had both decided to to get vaccinated when it became available, for some of the reasons mentioned in this thread. If anyone is interested, it's from the Dark Horse Podcast with Bret Weinstein, but I don't remember which episode. https://www.youtube.com/c/BretWeinsteinDarkHorse/videos

.... which explains why I've always felt a bit odd.

Asple Pie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Feb 2021, 3:23 am

MaxE wrote:
SocOfAutism wrote:
These RNA vaccines are designed to kick your body into a dramatic immune response. People with severe allergies, pregnant people, and some other conditions are not supposed to get the vaccine at all.

It is not a medication, true, but if you are very sensitive to other things, you might want to talk to your doctor. Then if the vaccine is mandated you may be able to receive it under a doctor's care and get them to observe you for a few hours to make sure you're okay.

If the OP is lucky enough to live in a country where the Oxford Vaccine is available, that's a DNA vaccine. Might make a difference.

Thanks for mentioning this. Had to check what the Oxford one was, yes, it's the Astra Zeneca one, works a little differently than the others. It's one of the 2 our country is looking at, so fingers crossed I will be able to get this one. This is also the one Bret and Heather, the evolutionary biologists feel most comfortable with. :D

.... which explains why I've always felt a bit odd.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2021, 7:51 pm

My appointment for the first shot is March 9.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2021, 4:09 pm

Congratulations, APOM!

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2021, 7:04 pm

Had my first shot last Thursday. Moderna vaccine. My upper arm was sore for about a day and a half. Really no problem at all.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2021, 7:57 pm

Congratulations!

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2021, 10:46 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:

What other conditions? I have Cerebral Pasly, Psoriasis, Dyslexia & Learning Disability too.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2021, 10:50 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I WISH I could get the vaccine.

I'm probably months away.

Even my 86-year-old mother hasn't gotten her vaccine yet.

People in USA are getting vaccines or one state for now, but I don’t know.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2021, 10:59 pm

I’m worried to get my vaccine, cuz there are side effects, people can be sore in arm, my arms already have pain. I don’t know how I will get it anyway.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2021, 5:28 am

It’s much better than getting COVID.....trust me !