Autism and the Covid Vaccination: anyone been vaccinated?

Page 3 of 14 [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2021, 2:13 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
I’m worried to get my vaccine, cuz there are side effects, people can be sore in arm, my arms already have pain. I don’t know how I will get it anyway.

Data coming in (From places such as the ZOE covid study) suggests that one might be rather sore in the arm for a day or so, perhaps have a day feeling very tired or flu like symptoms, but the effects pass
The symptoms are a lotto do with ones innate imune system reacting to the antigen offered to it by the vaccine (the inflamatory response) which in turn gets the antigen to the Adaptive immunue system, which kicks off B cells making antibodies (and becoming Memory B cells to make antibodies even more effectively on meeting the virus) and T cells tuned to the antigen (and hence the signature of the virus itself)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWnq86B5t3s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kDqng9eqsQ
What we've learnt from 100,000 vaccines logged with ZOE (so far)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2koQ6ksdkYY
What to expect when getting your COVID vaccine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj48HmUOEiY

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2021, 2:29 pm

Both I and my wife have had the first shot of the vaccine. I had the Moderna vaccine and my wife had the Pfizer vaccine. They used a microscopic needle and you could hardly even feel it. My arm was sore for about a day. My wife experienced the same. The second shot has more intense reaction. Should probably plan for a day of down time after receiving the second shot.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2021, 10:24 pm

I received the first dose of the pfizer vaccine almost 2 weeks ago. I live in a residential program for adults with developmental disabilities which is why I was eligible. My arm was slightly sore at the injection site that evening but was better by the next morning. The evening on the day after I started to feel like I was about to get a really bad cold but I was fine the next morning. My roommate felt light headed a couple hours after getting her first dose.

Many of the staff at my program are already fully vaccinated. Several had to call out sick the day after getting their second doses due to symptoms like headaches and fevers. So I'm planning ahead for the probability of being sick the day after my second dose. I'm really grateful and lucky that I'm getting it. I'm hoping that eventually some of the restrictions at my program will be lifted. For instance, there are no visitors allowed anymore, even outside visits with immediate family members.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2021, 10:30 pm

For me the vaccine cannot come soon enough....I'd like to be in less danger from people not wearing masks.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2021, 10:41 pm

My bride and I got our first shot on Feb-22. The Pfizer vaccine. We were both characteristically serious frivolous.

She's amused we're supposed to go back to get poked again on the Ides of March.

They asked me whether it was okay to inject it in my left shoulder. I just said "Anywhere above the waist!"

We got the Pfizer stuff. My bride and I both experienced very fast and very painless injections. I chose not to watch the needle go in and was surprised when they told me the injection was complete--I wasn't even sure they had started. She watched her injection and assures me the needle went in and it really was fast and painless. The next day she had a side-effect--she was tired. I had no side-effect, except we both agree that if you press on the spot where they injected, it is slightly tender. (And my arm only feels *slightly* sore and *only* when I press on it.)

I'd say this shot was even easier than a flu shot! And not even in the same league as a shingles shot (those made my arm SORE!).

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 8:19 am

I received my second shot of the Moderna vaccine yesterday. I experienced NO adverse reactions to the second shot. It had even less side effects than the first shot.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 9:37 am

Had 1st shot last Thursday. There were very mild side effects.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 12:02 pm

I am the sensitive-to-medication type as well, so I get that concern. Although I've been OD'd on meds by unknowing or ignorant healthcare providers, I have never had a problem with vaccines (asides injection site soreness), nor have my children (one AS, one sensitive NT). In any case my very-sensitive-to-meds-NT dad and my less-sensitive-to-meds-AS mom (both late 70s) are scheduled for their 2nd Pfizer shot tomorrow. The 1st dose was fine (sore arm like flu shot). For the 2nd, they are prepared for malaise for a day afterward. We'll know more by Monday.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 4:55 pm

Few people are more suspicious of medicines than I am, but if I'm offered the Covid jab I'll almost certainly take it. They've now injected millions of people with it and reported side effects pale into insignificance compared to the effects on some people of catching Covid-19. The jab might make you feel a bit ill for a day or two, but it's unlikely to do anything worse. The chances of anybody dying or suffering permanent damage from it are probably about the same as the chances of being killed by a tangerine. In context, if you so much as go for a walk then you could be maimed or killed.

I don't see any indication that they're making it compulsory in any country I know of (though I don't follow the adventures of every country on the planet). Best guess, they might start banning jab-refuseniks from public transport, public places, and jobs, but it'll probably take them a long time to do all of those things, so I don't think there's a lot to worry about in the short term.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 5:05 pm

Asple Pie wrote:
There is talk about the vaccination becoming mandatory where I live and I'm terrified. I'm very sensitive to most medications and anything even mildly toxic. I'm sensitive in general. When I take medicines, I usually only need 1/8 of the recommended dose to work, if I take more I usually get bad side effects.

I think my sensitivity might be related to being autistic, but of course not every autistic person would experience this.

Please, if any of you have had the shot, would you talk about how it was, how it effected you, how long ago.

If you haven't had it, are you planning on getting it when it becomes available?

I also have concerns because I have problems with allergic reactions.

There is some talk about making the vaccination mandatory here in Australia, but that may simply have been idle chatter.

I live a hermit lifestyle, so I doubt I would catch covid.
I would like to do some 'fraternising' at some stage, so I am planning on getting vaccinated down the line. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 5:08 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Few people are more suspicious of medicines than I am, but if I'm offered the Covid jab I'll almost certainly take it. They've now injected millions of people with it and reported side effects pale into insignificance compared to the effects on some people of catching Covid-19. The jab might make you feel a bit ill for a day or two, but it's unlikely to do anything worse. The chances of anybody dying or suffering permanent damage from it are probably about the same as the chances of being killed by a tangerine. In context, if you so much as go for a walk then you could be maimed or killed.

I don't see any indication that they're making it compulsory in any country I know of (though I don't follow the adventures of every country on the planet). Best guess, they might start banning jab-refuseniks from public transport, public places, and jobs, but it'll probably take them a long time to do all of those things, so I don't think there's a lot to worry about in the short term.

If you are allergic to 'Tangerines', that may be problematical. :mrgreen:

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 5:22 pm

I had the first dose of the Moderna vaccine recently. From what I have come to understand, the Moderna vaccine tends to give a bigger initial dose than the Pfizer, and so there tend to be more reactions to the first shot in the case of the former. I experienced symptoms within the range of benign and normal (headache, runny nose, moderate first-24-hour fever, 7-day-later swelling in the arm lymph nodes).

They were debating whether they should give me the vaccination at first when I got to my appointment, since I've had severe allergic reactions before (though not to a vaccine). However, I am glad I could get it. Respiratory infections tend to hit me hard and I was afraid of COVID. My side-effects seem to be worse than everyone else I talk to, and still what I experienced was no worse than a head cold + a single bee sting. Totally worth it in my case.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 5:32 pm

Pepe wrote:
I'm not allergic to tangerines but I can't stand citrus fruit. :eew: I'd much rather get another vaccination shot. (The worst part of the Pfizer shot was because of the cold weather--getting them a shot at my shoulder was inconvenient.)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 7:05 pm

My mother is getting the shot tomorrow.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 7:05 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Pepe wrote:
I'm not allergic to tangerines but I can't stand citrus fruit. :eew: I'd much rather get another vaccination shot. (The worst part of the Pfizer shot was because of the cold weather--getting them a shot at my shoulder was inconvenient.)

I am actually allergic to tangeringes. :lol:

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2021, 5:08 am

I got vaccinated recently and it was fine. Jut got a headache and felt a tiny bit off but no more than I would for a cold. My arm was also for like a day but it felt like the sort of ache you get when you exercise so nothing too crazy.