Can Major depression be related to ASD?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

29 May 2019, 1:12 pm

I'll talk about my own experience.

I'm 22 years old at the moment, diagnosed Asperger. I don't have any problem with that, or at least I didn't in the past.
Now it has become an eternal, endless and daily agony. I often burst out crying while hearing certain music/during the day when I'm trying to study/work I burst out crying or get so much sad that I cannot continue with whatever I am doing.

I'm doing a therapy at the moment, but it does not help with seeing the world with a "new, brighter light."
it all started suddenly after when I was 19-20, after I started noticing the major changes between my life (and also future life and prospects) and the ones of NTs. It looks in my own mind and eyes like I am "doomed" to live a life of disappointment, sadness, it just won't end.

So my question is, any other Asperger here suffered from Major depression/depression during his life? how did you get out of it? because I am going to drop it sooner or later..

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 May 2019, 1:40 pm

Might be an autistic burnout.
Partially overlapping with major depression syndromes.

Do you relate?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 1:42 pm

Depression often co occurs with autism

When you get into your 20s you have become an adult. There are more responsibilities and more expectations. These new stressors can be overwhelming. Which is what the Autistic burnout mentioned above is about.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

29 May 2019, 1:44 pm

magz wrote:
Might be an autistic burnout.
Partially overlapping with major depression syndromes.

Do you relate?

This gives me some hope.

I daily try to fit into the society (at least in the few enviroment where I take part) and everytime I see that i'm not up to the capability of NTs I get depress and I want to go away from everything.

I think the last column explains that.

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

29 May 2019, 1:46 pm

Sorry but now I am worried about the source of information.
I am always worried about fake news, fake information and the fear of becoming an idiot that believes in everything he reads.

Is this "autistic burnout" thing proven by medical staff ? (psychiatrists, psychologists)
Can I speak of this with my therapist? (she is a psychotherapyst)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 May 2019, 1:49 pm

BlossX wrote:
Sorry but now I am worried about the source of information.
I am always worried about fake news, fake information and the fear of becoming an idiot that believes in everything he reads.

Is this "autistic burnout" thing proven by medical staff ? (psychiatrists, psychologists)
Can I speak of this with my therapist? (she is a psychotherapyst)

It's not proved by medical staff, it's a shared expirience of autistic adults.
Myself included but I'm not the only one around here experiencing it.
You can describe it to your psychologist.

Last edited by magz on 29 May 2019, 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

29 May 2019, 1:50 pm

This raises some serious concerns about its authenticity.

As a university student, I'm made aware of these kind of "information" on the web.

I like the feedback, but I remain skeptical about it.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 May 2019, 1:54 pm

BlossX wrote:
This raises some serious concerns about its authenticity.

As a university student, I'm made aware of these kind of "information" on the web.

I like the feedback, but I remain skeptical about it.

I understand being skeptical, it's wise not to go on any information digged on the internet.
You can talk to your psychologist about what is difficult to you, what situations make you feel worse, how you feel in which environment and situation. That's always safe and right to do.

Without suggesting any label of depression, autistic burnout, social phobia or whatever. Just your experiences.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 2:13 pm

Studies these days are money driven. Primarily by drug companies. ASD related depression is not something you can treat with drugs. The best way to help someone ASD is to create a more accommodating environment.

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

29 May 2019, 2:16 pm

I am under medication right now for psychosis.

These drugs help me, but they don't help on the mood.

I think you are right. When I was younger I knew how to make myself at ease, with the right enviroment (in my specific case, the best enviroment, so like a fresh haircut, beard done, shower done and full lights on the room)

I remember that I was good at that time, I have to try and bring it to where I live at the moment)

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 2:59 pm

I suggest watching this forum for ideas on what may reduce your stress levels. And experiment to see if it helps. I have a silent clock in my office. And a real office, not a cubical. With a door I can close.

I like to go home and work on my flower garden. :D

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 4:22 pm

I know that I'm not up to the standard of the NT friends I have made, but I would never think of going away. My life is really good now and I never want to retreat into the loneliness that was my life just eight years ago.

breaks0
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 May 2019, 6:56 pm

I've plugged this on several other threads and it's not for everyone, but I've been doing CBT using Valeria Gaus's book for the last couple months and it's helped me alot (and I'm still quite early in the process). The core point is that it uses positive psychology. That's helped alot of people on the spectrum, though I can't really give you any numbers on that. The podcast "Spectrumly Speaking" also follows this school of thought, life advice, etc.

Whatever you do (therapy, medication, support group, etc) should be aimed at trying to improve the quality of your life and your general well-being, i.e. so it's effects are positive overall and causes neither you or anyone else any harm. I'll leave it there, but yes there are tools out there that have worked for alot of people.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2019, 8:10 pm

A disproportionate number of autistics are unemployed, underemployed, no friends,

Depression comorbid with autism

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

13 Dec 2021, 10:31 am

Hey everyone, I'm back in the forum after 2 years and I wanted to express my thoughts after 2 years of creating this post.

I still cope with depression nowadays, at 25, but I've found some ways to "manage" it thanks to my wonderful counselor and psychiatrist.

I don't take medication for depression because I am worried of taking too many meds (I already take 1 pill per day regarding a psychosis event that I had 4 years ago) although my psychiatrist has suggested me to take also the "depression pills".

What are you guys thinking regarding it? I mean, can someone with a similar condition suggest me something? like for example, entertain yourself more, follow your psichiatrist advice, ecc.?

At the moment I'm 25, a failed university student (I dropped economics after 3 years of studying, and now I changed to history I'm at the first year at the moment) and I'm basically locked up in my home (i follow online classes, which really helps me distract myself). I tend to go outside only once or twice a day for a walk with my brother and parents.
I don't see a bright future like my peers, what am I doing wrong? I'm going to the counsellor once per month, and to my psychiatrist once every 3 months...
any tips regarding depression?

Hope my english was decent enough

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 10:42 am

Depression is related to having sh1t things happen to you. (To put it bluntly.) Over and over again.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)