Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 12:29 am

Aside from what everyone already mentioned...

Social skills is a multidimensionally thing -- one has the ability to level themselves to others, or make others level themselves to another.

In friendlier settings, people would level onto each other.
But in a more hostile environment, people generally don't. It's either them or you -- a sum zero game.

Social skills is the ability to move that level in real time... Whether it's yours or someone else's.
It doesn't necessarily had to do with words or sets of etiquettes and rules, but the common mode of communication and those rules are relevant to make them move said level.

:lol: Many autistics other people think it's about leveling themselves to NTs. I say it is not.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2021, 12:58 am

It's like describing the color blue to a blind man. We can intellectually try to comprehend social skills. And I think everyone has some social skills to some extent. How skillful one is varies. Average Aspie tends to be much worse at social skills than majority of people (the NTs).

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 8:23 pm

Social skills are something people on the spectrum cannot understand and they know it, and NTs can understand but usually cannot explain.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2021, 9:17 pm

Fenn wrote:
Social skills are something people on the spectrum cannot understand and they know it, and NTs can understand but usually cannot explain.

Some truth in that as a generalization, but I think ASDers can usually make some inroads into it. The internal mechanisms might be different, but sometimes they work.

Something Profound
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Aug 2021, 10:00 pm

Social skills are something that can be described and defined (There are plenty of written descriptions anywhere and everywhere you look, literally since mankind has had the ability to write stuff down), but actually DOING is a different matter, and if you don't know, you don't know.

I like to think I have some social skills, but they are pretty lackluster. I used to say I am pretty bad at socializing until you get to know me, then I become pretty good at it, but honestly I can't say that for certain either. I do a lot of pretending... I pull up skills from a learned tool kit to socialize as needed, but my box of skills doesn't have that many tools. I am just good at making it seem like I have more skills than I do. It is like using a hammer and a wrench for literally EVERY job. Sure, it may be a good hammer and a good wrench, and I am super good at figuring out how to deal with screws with them, but somebody with an entire set of tools will always do better.

Which is a testament to how resourceful I can be in using one or two somewhat lackluster skills in ways that make it seem like I have more skills than I do. But the thing is, if I had more skills, I would not struggle to socialize on first meeting, or the second, or the 15th... or basically all the times I struggle with socialization until somebody else actually tries to socialize with me (I really dislike doing the social stuff until I get to know people, and I don't like getting to know people, so people have to try to get to know me to get past that barrier).

well, anyway, if that makes sense. I feel like I am rambling now.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 11:38 am

The ability to recognize where everyone else's toes are before you step on them. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 11:40 am

^ LOL

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 11:43 am

I feel like it's, mostly, the ability to make another person or animal comfortable.

Though there is frequently an element of social Darwinism and the ability to be canny/"clever"----which I find irritating.

Yep, I do believe that "social skills" involve the ability to make, say, a dog or cat comfy.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 4:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel like it's, mostly, the ability to make another person or animal comfortable.

Though there is frequently an element of social Darwinism and the ability to be canny/"clever"----which I find irritating.

Yep, I do believe that "social skills" involve the ability to make, say, a dog or cat comfy.

Yes I've often suspected that there must be a set of social rules somewhere that are "cleaner" than some of the ones that large swathes of society seem to have degenerated into. Rules that involve a lot less deceit. I would think that skills in making animals comfortable would work quite well on humans, as long as the fine details such as throwing them sticks and constantly patting and stroking them aren't followed indiscriminately.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 4:16 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Yes I've often suspected that there must be a set of social rules somewhere that are "cleaner" than some of the ones that large swathes of society seem to have degenerated into. Rules that involve a lot less deceit. I would think that skills in making animals comfortable would work quite well on humans, as long as the fine details such as throwing them sticks and constantly patting and stroking them aren't followed indiscriminately.

Different animals require different approaches. You can be much more pro-actively friendly with a dog you just met than you can with a cat, for example.

Obviously this is true of humans as well, they require a different approach and often that approach has to incorporate what people in the culture are normalized to accept.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 8:51 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Obviously this is true of humans as well, they require a different approach and often that approach has to incorporate what people in the culture are normalized to accept.

Yes, though (I'm glad to say) there is some degree of divergence from the cultural norm in many real individuals of any particular culture.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 9:02 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Yes, though (I'm glad to say) there is some degree of divergence from the cultural norm in many real individuals of any particular culture.

It's all kinda fuzzy, which isn't something minds with autism always handle well.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う