What kind of humor is acceptable to Aspies

Page 5 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2021, 11:48 pm

I was on a course this week and the trainer was saying Leeds and Glaswegian humour are very similar, so he got on well working with Glaswegians. There's a lot of Mickey taking.

I don't find it funny. I find Glaswegians rude and horrible, when this humour is engaged. Most other times they are very friendly.

Why is saying mean things funny? It's a bit like roasts that were popular a few years ago. Hey let me point out a flaw in your personality and laugh at you. Yeah, real funny.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 10:18 am

This is my kind of humor.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2021, 11:13 am

magz wrote:
mohsart wrote:

/Mats

Good one :lol:

Thats how autistics reproduce. They make vaccines...which cause autism...which causes more science....which causes vaccines...which causes... :D

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2021, 4:24 am

VegetableMan wrote:
This is my kind of humor.[George Carlin clip]

George Carlin was a huge influence on my sense of humor growing up.

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jul 2021, 4:35 am

Here's an example of a joke I didn't like that other people did.

I went to see a local production of "The Addams Family" musical. At one point, there's an exchange between Grandmama and Pugsley about a magic potion.

GRANDMAMA: "One swig of this and Mary Poppins turns into Madea!"

PUGSLEY: "I don't understand your references!"

GRANDMAMA: "Then stop the damn texting and pick up a book once in a while!"

The problem is, the entire idea of the show is that the Addamses are not a "normal" family, Pugsley included. He doesn't text or anything like that. So it's like the writers took a random generic sitcom joke between Old Character and Young Character and plopped in the middle of the show. The joke's internal logic doesn't really hold together that well either, considering both Mary Poppins and Madea are well known pop culture characters that wouldn't require reading a book to know about them. But the audience howled with laughter, so I guess it was effective.

I had a similar experience at the local Melodrama theater, where they generally put on broad parody shows. A lot of the jokes are just referencing local stuff.

CHARACTER: "Hey, have you seen [other character.]"

ANOTHER CHARACTER: "Look, she's right over there by [name of well-known local business]!"

ME: "..."

AUDIENCE: "LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!" *applause.*

neilinmich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jul 2021, 7:45 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Most (almost all) people I meet like "Seinfeld." I find it to be obnoxious.

I am relieved to learn that someone else can't get interested in Seinfeld. I've tried, but I've never been able to watch a whole episode. I just don't identify at all with any of the characters or humor. I lose interest quickly. Now I don't feel so weird.