Comfy products to try to help soothe self?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

alobaby
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Oct 2021, 9:37 pm

I currently wear ear muffs and now have gotten a sleeping mask and wear those to bed each night to help me sleep. I was wondering what other people do and what comfy, coping, soothing, etc products people use for themselves.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 6:42 am

I use fuzzy blankets instead of sheets, and another fuzzy blanket to cover with in cold weather. I have fuzzy blankets (microfleece is easy to wash and dry) all over my house to wrap around me or to hold/touch.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

alobaby

13 Oct 2021, 3:27 pm

autisticelders wrote:
I use fuzzy blankets instead of sheets, and another fuzzy blanket to cover with in cold weather. I have fuzzy blankets (microfleece is easy to wash and dry) all over my house to wrap around me or to hold/touch.

Thank you so much! That sounds really comfy!

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2021, 4:09 pm

Idk if I'd call it self-soothing, but for bed I use 100% cotton t-shirt sheets or 100% cotton flannel. The former most of the year, the latter in winter. The blankets I use are 100% woven thermal blankets. They're heavy, but don't make me too warm. If I want warmer, I throw a plain sheet (same as above, just not fitted) over the top of the blankets to hold the warm body air in. I don't normally use the plain top sheet in a set. Pillowcases are usually the t-shirt material, but I have a few matching flannel as well. These are all snuggly to me.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2021, 4:34 am

When I sleep, I cover my eyes with a black t-shirt (It came to me in a package deal, but I don't wear black) I like flannel if I'm not wearing night clothes, but at least one interface should slide fairly readily to avoid night tangles. Recently, I've added a 5-lb "heavy" blanket in a narrow single size that I made from some heavy, loose fabric. I also pre-warm my bed with an electric blanket under the mattress topper that I isolate electrically before getting into bed.
I have adjustable mirrors like extended exterior windowsills to reflect sunlight onto my ceiling, which is like having a skylight, and lifts my mood.
Sometimes, some favourite music helps, or a good book. Zenna Henderson wrote SF about people who really care about each other.
Illegal evictions gave me too much PTSD, so I had to move to where houses are very cheap, but having my own walls is a comfort, as is having my car set up for camping if there's too much local noise.
I can get very tense from walking on ice, so cleats also qualify as soothers.
Riding my bike is how I get my minimum daily exercise, but it can also serve to burn off any adrenalin from frustration on the way to the next gig.
I enjoy polishing metal. You work away at it, making it smoother and smoother, and then it "vanishes," reflecting other images. This may arouse positive resonance with an early experience when polishing my shop project made me the cool kid for a day.

alobaby

16 Oct 2021, 7:56 pm

Blue_Star wrote:
Idk if I'd call it self-soothing, but for bed I use 100% cotton t-shirt sheets or 100% cotton flannel. The former most of the year, the latter in winter. The blankets I use are 100% woven thermal blankets. They're heavy, but don't make me too warm. If I want warmer, I throw a plain sheet (same as above, just not fitted) over the top of the blankets to hold the warm body air in. I don't normally use the plain top sheet in a set. Pillowcases are usually the t-shirt material, but I have a few matching flannel as well. These are all snuggly to me.

Thank you!!

alobaby

16 Oct 2021, 7:57 pm

Dear_one wrote:
When I sleep, I cover my eyes with a black t-shirt (It came to me in a package deal, but I don't wear black) I like flannel if I'm not wearing night clothes, but at least one interface should slide fairly readily to avoid night tangles. Recently, I've added a 5-lb "heavy" blanket in a narrow single size that I made from some heavy, loose fabric. I also pre-warm my bed with an electric blanket under the mattress topper that I isolate electrically before getting into bed.
I have adjustable mirrors like extended exterior windowsills to reflect sunlight onto my ceiling, which is like having a skylight, and lifts my mood.
Sometimes, some favourite music helps, or a good book. Zenna Henderson wrote SF about people who really care about each other.
Illegal evictions gave me too much PTSD, so I had to move to where houses are very cheap, but having my own walls is a comfort, as is having my car set up for camping if there's too much local noise.
Riding my bike is how I get my minimum daily exercise, but it can also serve to burn off any adrenalin from frustration on the way to the next gig.
I enjoy polishing metal. You work away at it, making it smoother and smoother, and then it "vanishes," reflecting other images. This may arouse positive resonance with an early experience when polishing my shop project made me the cool kid for a day.

Those all sound really good, thank you!

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2021, 8:02 pm

Dear_one wrote:

this sound very nice and cotton fleece and microfiber blankies fit the bill.

where ever you go ,there you are