Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2016, 5:02 pm

I bite my nails, but for me, it's not a nervous habit at all. I bite my nails because the sensation of having my nail longer than the nail bed, drives me crazy. I also find the white part of the nail gross (weird, I know). I can't look at non-nail biters nails unless they are painted and the longer, the worse. Just seeing long nails makes me think of the sound of fingernails scraping paper, which is a sound that gives me shivers up my spine.

Anyone one else have sensory issues with fingernails (or toenails)?

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2016, 5:25 pm

I don't hate fingernails, I bite them because I don't like broken nails or when they feel scratchy. I don't have a nail filer on me so I bite bite bite away. I also don't like them uneven either so I do it and I have dirt in them so I do it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2016, 6:18 pm

I don't bite my nails, nor do I find the white part gross, but for me it feels uncomfortable to have my nails longer than the nail bed, so I keep them very short. It also feels icky to touch anything when they're too long.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2016, 6:31 pm

Yeah, my nails are always short. I don't cut them or bite them; I pick at them a lot. You can't see any white part on any of my nails. If I can see it, I remove it right away. It also makes me uncomfortable when I see long nails on other people. I've never really thought of it as a sensory issue, as it doesn't make me think of scratching sounds. It just makes me feel uncomfortable, and I can't explain why.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2016, 9:03 am

I always have really short nails. I can't have mine long or else they start to bother me and then I start picking at them and biting them. I also can't have polish on mine either because I pick at that too.

WhyamILikeThis12
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 May 2021, 9:02 am

I hate having them. I wish I could just remove them so they never grow again. The white part is gross to me too , and if they get even a little long it's super uncomfortable.
I hate seeing long nails , painted nails , whites of nails etc.
I'm not sure why I think so strongly against them but I've been this way since I was a kid.

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2021, 1:58 pm

Is there anything worse than having a nail that's been bitten on?? They are edgy (get stuck in clothes eeeew), will mostly likely damage the cuticle when removing it by teeth, and you run the risk of digging too deep leaving your nails too short. That feeling is unacceptable. The worst part is when your teeth can't really bite through it and you clash with your teeth as you slip off the nail surface. That pain... :skull:

I used to be a nail biter when I was younger. I then learned what I liked and what I didn't like about my nails. Nowadays I need to keep them perfectly rounded. Not too short and not too long. I probably cut my nails every day because I never do them in one. Each one need special attention. My wife is increasingly getting angrier with me for that...

I read somewhere that you shouldn't cut your nails in an oval shape, but square... who the f**k would do that???? Square? right! 8O

Nails are definitely a sensory issue to me. I don't have Asperger but I have these sensory issues that are probably in line or even worse than what autistic people have. In my car there's a nail cutter just in case I need to take care of a nail. Issues with a nail can destroy a whole day if I cannot take care of it. I also cannot stand sand. I always keep a bucket of water with me at the beach to rinse my feet when I'm out of the water. A toothpicks is another thing that is a must have. Something stuck between my teeth and I'm off balance.

However, one thing I still bite is the skin next to my nails. I need to keep that clean and smooth. So biting the skin is OK. Perhaps we should have some pictures posted in this thread to see what our fingers are like?

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022

Last edited by Jon81 on 22 May 2021, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2021, 2:00 pm

WhyamILikeThis12 wrote:
I hate having them. I wish I could just remove them so they never grow again. The white part is gross to me too , and if they get even a little long it's super uncomfortable.
I hate seeing long nails , painted nails , whites of nails etc.
I'm not sure why I think so strongly against them but I've been this way since I was a kid.

I'm no doctor but I know the white part will tell you something about your health condition, and having too much is a bad thing. Perhaps there's something you need to adjust and it will get better? I remember something about lack of sleep being a cause of the white part of the nail growing bigger.

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 2:19 pm

Why don't you just clip your nails? Why bite them?

Jon81
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2021, 2:26 pm

starkid wrote:

That is the easy answer and your conclusion is completely correct. However, what do you do in case of having a damaged nail and not having a clipper close :?:

Diagnosed with ADHD 2022

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 5:00 pm

I've never had long nails. I don't like the way they look on me. I always keep my nails short.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2021, 5:01 pm

I'm freaked out by french pedicures. (White ends on pink toenails). :eew:

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2021, 12:08 am

Jon81 wrote:
starkid wrote:

That is the easy answer and your conclusion is completely correct. However, what do you do in case of having a damaged nail and not having a clipper close :?:

Your question made me realize that I never have damaged fingernails. Maybe you have a vitamin deficiency. That can cause issues with nails.

Also, if you keep your nails clipped short, there won't be much to damage and maybe the damage will be less bothersome to you. I mean that a long cracked nail is more annoying than a short cracked nail.

leo427
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Aug 2021, 1:35 pm

me too, sometimes people say that I should let my nails grow becuase biting them can make them bleed, but I can’t! I hate having white parts or letting them grow longer than my nail bed

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2021, 4:01 am

I've always kept long fingernails. It actually drive me nuts if they're short. Not only my fingertips are exposed and feel so sensitive, I also feel like my fingers are just too short for me to do anything. I use them as tools. They're very handy and let me touch everything, but cannot feel pressure or pain. How do you guys pry open some box, scratch an itch or pick a zit with no fingernail? 8O

Nierly
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Aug 2021, 9:26 am

I do the same thing, I've always been a nail biter all my life so now when I feel myself getting nails it doesn't feel right so I HAVE to get them off.

"In your darkest hour, in the blackest night... think of me, and I will be with you. Always. For where else could I go? Who else could I love but you?"