Have you ever been compared to a murderer?

Page 3 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Have you been compared to a murderer before?
Yes 41%  41%  [ 11 ]
No 44%  44%  [ 12 ]
Not sure 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 27

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 5:31 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
If people really knew about autism, they wouldn't even think of thinking of them as potential murderers.

You don't seem to have anger issues that a lot of young men with autism have. It isn't just autism that makes some young men with autism act out against society, but I think we do ourselves a disservice to downplay that it's consistently an element because it's a problem that harms the autistic community. These guys are a part of that community whether we like it or not.

Your comments have some good points to them. I don't think autism causes anyone to become a murderer, but I've met a lot of autistic people, both men and women, that have emotional control issues due to constant abuse from family and peers + the emotional immaturity that comes with ASD. Couple that with the intense resentment towards others that brews in some people from being forcefully socially isolated for years, and you have part of the recipe for a potential killer. I think this should be addressed and not dismissed.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2021, 7:47 pm

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 3:24 am

Then maybe NTs shouldn't bully or reject us, and we won't be murderers?

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 4:15 am

I have violent meltdowns but iv never been called a murderer before and i work with a lot of ignorant people that hate me

if anything most dont believe i have autism because they say im too f****d up in the head to have autism

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 8:34 am

I was bullied by my peers all my childhood. I lost my best friend when I was about 12. I was a latchkey kid. Not many people treated me well. I had no friends in high school for 3 years. I was challenged to fights after school all the time. I was called many names. I was the pariah of my high school.

Yet, I never thought of shooting up my school, or murdering people. The most I ever thought was Id be delighted if I punched somebody in the face and they started respecting me as a result.

nzka
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Aug 2021, 9:22 am

Yes :cry:

At my last workplace there was a guy who said he didn't want to be left alone with me because I was "too quiet" and he compared me to a school shooter. both sides of my family and my husband's family give me a hard time about not knowing me, that I'm a ghost, or put me on the spot randomly because they don't trust my quietness... even last night my dad said you can't trust the quiet ones, they're always the ones who cause the trouble (referring to a serial killer.)

How about some people have trouble with verbal speech, don't have anything to say that they know normal people will value or care to hear, or no one ever stops talking long enough to interject and i don't feel like shouting over anyone :|

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 9:44 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I was bullied by my peers all my childhood. I lost my best friend when I was about 12. I was a latchkey kid. Not many people treated me well. I had no friends in high school for 3 years. I was challenged to fights after school all the time. I was called many names. I was the pariah of my high school.

Yet, I never thought of shooting up my school, or murdering people. The most I ever thought was Id be delighted if I punched somebody in the face and they started respecting me as a result.

It's good that you didn't think about that, but obviously there's people that do, autism or not, and the issues they have beyond being socially rejected need to be addressed. I don't think just being bullied causes this, but by "abuse" I also wasn't really talking about bullying in the first place. I've noticed these people often have histories of actual familial neglect and abuse.

Though, this is starting to get off-topic and turn into a discussion about what makes someone into a killer, not about personal experiences being compared to one or why people think that happened to them. I think this should be made into its own thread if people want to continue talking about it, or just dropped here.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 9:44 am

Yes, I have been compared to serial killers by bullying classmates decades ago. Being a loner and my preoccupation with the special topic of all thing poisons/toxic materials likely did not help. I also studied dark knowledge (unit 731 stuff in particular) that is mostly hidden from public view. It is part of human nature to want to know things that can potentially destroy you.

There are things I regret knowing so much about. Unfortunately I have an unquenchable thirst for knowledge that can cause me problems sometimes. But, their opinion of me was unwarranted. I dislike violence towards others unless it is needed for self-defense or to protect those who cannot defend themselves.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 9:50 am

nzka wrote:
Yes :cry:

At my last workplace there was a guy who said he didn't want to be left alone with me because I was "too quiet" and he compared me to a school shooter. both sides of my family and my husband's family give me a hard time about not knowing me, that I'm a ghost, or put me on the spot randomly because they don't trust my quietness... even last night my dad said you can't trust the quiet ones, they're always the ones who cause the trouble (referring to a serial killer.)

How about some people have trouble with verbal speech, don't have anything to say that they know normal people will value or care to hear, or no one ever stops talking long enough to interject and i don't feel like shouting over anyone :|

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you. :( I've had people not trust my quietness and try to antagonize me over it. It's such odd behaviour and so stressful to deal with.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Aug 2021, 10:02 am

If folk jump to conclusions, stereotype or make comparisons of us to murderers, then they be the sick ones.... who don't think right.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 10:21 am

envirozentinel wrote:
If folk jump to conclusions, stereotype or make comparisons of us to murderers, then they be the sick ones.... who don't think right.

I couldn't agree more. I've always found it gross that people attribute traits common in ASD to serial killers and school shooters.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Aug 2021, 10:23 am

^ Generally speaking we tend to have more empathy and be much more sensitive than most folk.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 1:12 pm

I have been labeled both dilusionally schizophrenic and psychopathic by a psychiatrist because I refused to agree with him about something about myself that he was clearly wrong about and it turned into an argument. So because I wasn't willing to comply to his stupidness, especially since he had known me all of a glorious five minutes, he decided that I must be delusionally schizophrenic and psychopathic. He also decided in all of that five minute conversation that I cannot possibly be Autistic at all in any way, shape, or form. So that's as close as I have gotten. But considering that serial killers are often psychopathic, I guess that's a big accusation. The funny thing is that I am probably the most opposite example of a dilusionally schizophrenic and psychopathic person as anyone could possibly be.

Wreck It Ralph

nzka
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Aug 2021, 1:15 pm

I don't think it helps either that I am meltdown and shutdown prone. But I always slip away before I start to hit myself or cry or go no nonverbal publicly. I've dealt with meltdowns for as long as I can remember so it makes sense that I could start to sense them. Anyway I slip away a lot during social events and that's another reason why normal people don't trust me.

Last edited by nzka on 22 Aug 2021, 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 1:18 pm

skibum wrote:
I have been labeled both dilusionally schizophrenic and psychopathic by a psychiatrist because I refused to agree with him about something about myself that he was clearly wrong about and it turned into an argument. So because I wasn't willing to comply to his stupidness, especially since he had known me all of a glorious five minutes, he decided that I must be delusionally schizophrenic and psychopathic. He also decided in all of that five minute conversation that I cannot possibly be Autistic at all in any way, shape, or form. So that's as close as I have gotten. But considering that serial killers are often psychopathic, I guess that's a big accusation. The funny thing is that I am probably the most opposite example of a dilusionally schizophrenic and psychopathic person as anyone could possibly be.

When I was assessed the second time the lady I was referred to for therapy afterwards said I didn't "seem" autistic after 5-10 minutes of talking to me, in such a way that it seemed like she thought I just wanted attention. I don't get how "professionals" can think they know someone well enough to make these decisions after talking to people very, very briefly.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 2:37 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
^ Generally speaking we tend to have more empathy and be much more sensitive than most folk.

That excessive sensitivity is probably what forced me to learn how to compartmentalize my empathy at times.

It's valuable as a survival trait but it does make it very easy to act horrifically. :oops:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う