Page 1 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 6:44 pm

Is it normal to keep buying the same make and model of shoe? I have just bought the fourth and fifth pair of these shoes. The first pair no longer survive. The second survive but are on their last legs. The third I am wearing now. They are worn but they are holding together. I have spent a year patiently waiting for these shoes to come back in stock, and today with the Christmas money my Mum gave so I could get myself something (And with a bit of my money mixed in) I bought another two pairs... Pair four and pair five which are both currently sitting on my bed.
While pair one went to shoe heaven, I do still have the shoelaces somewhere I believe, so they still survive as shoelace memories.

Shoes are personal. Wellies I am the same with. I buy the same pair. I do not neccarily mind if the wellies are black or green, as long as I get the same make and model and size as I get on with them.

Why is it that I tend to get the same makes and models? I guess it is that once I have found something I can wear and are comfortable and last me a year or three, I want more of them because I know they are good?

Anyone else do the same?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 7:56 pm

My feet are a bit wide and I ride a bike with toe straps, so it used to take me a solid day every year to find a good fit at a reasonable price. Eventually, I hit upon a model that remained available for more than a year, and decided to stock up on them. Unfortunately, I then moved to a colder climate, where the soles would crack if I squatted down. I don't think they were very good for a foot problem I have, either. When I finally ran out of them, another long search turned up a brand of particularly lightweight shoes, which I like, but I've been buying less ideal models just to stay with the brand.
I'm reminded of a character in a novel who moved from a small town to a big city and was overwhelmed by the clothing selection. After one foray downtown, he learned to mail order, and never went again.

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 8:30 pm

I've been buying the same kind of shoes (same brand, style, color, and size) for years. I think I actually got my first pair in 8th grade, so it's been a while definitely. I have wide feet and find a lot of shoes uncomfortable so I'm glad they make something I can wear. If they stop making them, I'll have to find something else but I'll worry about that if the time comes.

My Tumblr

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 8:47 pm

I wish. :o

My most comfortable footwears only exists 'once' and... Then I had no choice but to find something similar again.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 9:17 pm

Somedays you can’t own too many Shoes ........ :D

where ever you go ,there you are

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 9:41 pm

Jakki wrote:

I only have two feet. :D

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 9:46 pm

It seems like a rational practice to me.

I often buy duplicates when I find something I like that will wear out. Particularly with items that I tend to have trouble finding comfortable versions of, such as shoes, undergarments, etc.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 9:57 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Jakki wrote:

I only have two feet. :D

Some days, I have two pairs of wet shoes. . .

I happily gave away a pair of nearly-new shoes near the beginning of my bike tour, when I was able to buy a pair of special bicycling/walking shoes. It was the only time I approached a landowner for permission to camp, and he, a poor farmer, scuttled away with them before I could change my mind. (just in case)

When I change climates, I usually go overboard on footwear for the new conditions. I have a pair of boots that are mostly insurance against frostbite in a disaster.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 10:15 pm

AuroraBorealisGazer wrote:
It seems like a rational practice to me.

I often buy duplicates when I find something I like that will wear out. Particularly with items that I tend to have trouble finding comfortable versions of, such as shoes, undergarments, etc.

The best sailors will not only carry spares for a long voyage, they will install them, keeping the perfectly sound used parts as spares that they know will work, and know how to change.
A guy building special effects back in the olden days had to buy a lot of pretty strange hardware. He always bought two. If he didn't break the first one, odds were good that the second one would come in handy within a year or so, because he was familiar with it.

SC5017
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Dec 2020, 3:22 am

I have bought two of something in clothes too. There will be long periods when, due to "fashion", I cannot get what I want so if I find something I like it is best to get more than one - not that I buy a lot of clothes. I don't mind slight variations, in colour for example, but completely changing it doesn't make sense to me. The other day a friend sent me a photo from 20 years ago, I don't remember it being taken but I an still wearing that shirt. I know this is a bit off shoes but it takes me a very long time to wear out shoes.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 7:37 am

I would, but usually by the time I've driven the shoes in, as in I'm sure they fit and are comfortable, they aren't sold anymore. Plus one can't really use the same kind of shoes here all year because of the weather.

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 8:01 am

Interesting topic...NT women, generally speaking, absolutely love SHOES, the more variety the better...And i am no exception...However, when it comes to comfortable sneakers, i have been buying the same brand and model since the 90's...The Classic Reebok are made of genuine leather, so they wrap my feet pretty comfortably...The souls are made of rubber so they don't weight at all...I feel as if i am walking on clouds...I have always preferred the black color, because it is a neutral color and because it camouflashes the dirt better than the white pair...The cost is very reasonable at appx 40 dollars...These are so-o-o durable, they last me appx 4 years even though i wash them in the washer machine occasionally...Now that i think about all this, i am beginning to worry that the local Sears has closed...And possibly filing bankruptcy...Where will i buy them now???... 8O :D :wink:

By the way, one of my beloved (Aspie) husband's special interests coincidentally is shoes...Mostly but not limited to brand name sportswear...He has a great taste :D :heart: :heart: :heart: :wink:

SuzieX
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Dec 2020, 8:30 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Is it normal to keep buying the same make and model of shoe?

In a man I think it can pass as a rational decision. A woman, though, would probably be considered a bit extreme. If one alternating between colours though, I'm not sure people would notice.

When I was eight I had a pair of pants that were good enough for my mum to later get me another pair, exactly the same only one size bigger. For a while both were okay in size, though, and I mostly had either of these two pairs, until some other kids in school frowned upon me always wearing the same trousers. 8O

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 8:45 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Is it normal to keep buying the same make and model of shoe?

It is just as normal as manufacturers continuing to produce the same make and model.

Mountain Goat wrote:
Why is it that I tend to get the same makes and models? I guess it is that once I have found something I can wear and are comfortable and last me a year or three, I want more of them because I know they are good?

That looks like you have answered your question.

Mountain Goat wrote:
Anyone else do the same?

Assuming I count as 'anyone else', yes. :D

And right now I'm having a bit of a problem on the shoe issue because it seems the sneakers I've been using the last several years have been discontinued.
They were quite comfortable with a foot problem I have - the layer of tissue which makes the little bit of padding between my foot bones and the bottom of my feet is gradually going away.

Add a little extra padding and that style worked the best of any tried to that point.
I would really rather not spend the extra money and suffer the discomfort of trying different shoes again.
Oh well, such is life.

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 8:58 am

On the same line of reasoning, i should mention that i like dressing with modesty in mind...The fact that i am petite does not helps.. So, i have two difficulties: 1) To find a modest style of my liking; and 2) To find my size in that style...So, if and when i find the perfect dress, pants, pj's or outfit, i buy all available colors that my budget allows for...I am NT, and the way i see it, I am just been practical and a smart consumer...

Also, when i shop for my husband, and i do this regularly for him, i do the same...For example, he likes long sleeve, v-neck shirts...I like breathable shirts (as much cotton as possible) at a good price...So, as soon as i find the shirt that meets this criteria, i buy all colors that complement my husband's skin tone...So far, he is one happy camper...This way, i don't have to wash in the middle of the week if i don't want to...Plus, my beloved husband has enough variety of colors from which to choose in any particular work-day...

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2020, 9:14 am

Clueless2017 wrote:
On the same line of reasoning,

Looking at the overall situation with women's clothing and fashion I am happy to be a guy.
So much simpler to navigate the fashion ocean.
Even though it is not my fault, I'm sorry you gals have to expend the time and effort to deal with that burden in life.