People intentionally misunderstanding

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 10:03 am

Written or oral communication. So if there's a general expectation that one is a poor communicator, then it's easier for people to intentionally misinterpret something you've said. Quite often the response reflects a general understanding that what one said was predicated on a fundamental misunderstanding of the topic or just general naïveté.

Is this really a form of passive-aggressive bullying?

Shellbelle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 10:15 am

It could be, but it depends on context. Could you provide context or an example of this happening?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 10:19 am

Shellbelle wrote:
It could be, but it depends on context. Could you provide context or an example of this happening?

I guess it's more of a trend that occurred to me. I can't recall a specific example, or if I did the context might be too difficult to explain. But if something specific comes to mind I'll post it.

Shellbelle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2021, 2:57 pm

That would be useful.

You mention observing a trend. Are you seeing a trend of some sort with your communcation and other people? Or is it a more generalized communication trend, for example between other people?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 4:48 pm

MaxE wrote:
Written or oral communication. So if there's a general expectation that one is a poor communicator, then it's easier for people to intentionally misinterpret something you've said. Quite often the response reflects a general understanding that what one said was predicated on a fundamental misunderstanding of the topic or just general naïveté.

Is this really a form of passive-aggressive bullying?

I think people do this to troll, do this to argue and they don't really care what you mean and there are people that get so hung up on semantics they will intentionally misunderstand your post. Then they don't care what you meant when you clarify. I also think people will find things to be mad about so they can lash out at you.

But anyway, I sometimes have fun with these people by telling them they need to work on their reading comprehension or ask them if English isn't their first language because I never said that or even ask them "just when does X mean Y?" and if I am lazy, I will quote something from my post because I already addressed it and if they had read the whole, they would know. These people could be trolls but sometimes I troll them right back.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2021, 5:22 pm

Shellbelle wrote:
That would be useful.

You mention observing a trend. Are you seeing a trend of some sort with your communication and other people? Or is it a more generalized communication trend, for example between other people?

This may be a good example here perhaps:

On Twitter someone posts about how much money streamers actually make. Then it's pointed out it's only a fraction on them that make a lot from it and streamers can pull in a million from gambling sponsorships alone. I point out in my post that it's actually less than 1% that make a living off of youtube and streaming so I tell my son this and that most of them actually have jobs and do this in their spare time and I didn't want him to have this unrealistic view that he can just make a living off this when it's only a small number of them.

Someone else commented that I suck and said to at least let my kid try it out and he could be the 1% and that most of these 1% must have had parents that told them the same thing and said I was making him a 100% failure by not letting him try.

First of all no where did I wrote in my post he couldn't try and someone defended me and said anyone with intelligence have started streaming part time and then transition once they reach that point that they are making enough from it to sustain themselves and allowing immediate full time would be bad parenting.

But this is an example of someone reading my post and not understanding it when I never said "I will never let my son stream and youtube" but instead I tell him that these people that do make a living off it are a small percent of them and most youtubers and streamers have jobs and do this in their spare time.

But yeah I think people will find something to get angry about and insult you about it without actually reading or they don't like hearing the reality of things so they get angry and insult you and pretend you said something else.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Ade C
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Oct 2021, 1:36 pm

It's just an example of people being idiots. There's a lot of it about. Don't overanalyze it and just ignore it