Have you ever taken a "faux pas" test?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 8:11 pm

I took a "faux pas" test, a.k.a. a social decorum test (to use a more positive label) online recently - it was actually created in part by the famous Dr. Simon Baron-Cohen of the Univ. of Cambridge. As I recall there were 20 questions, and guess what?? I got 100% on it :) Mind you, playing devils advocate, I'm in my late 40s now and if I were half my age, maybe I would've gotten about 60%.

When doing the test, they give you a short social story or scenario and at the end ask you, "Was a social faux pas committed?" or "Did Jane say something she shouldn't have?" The scenarios usually entail ToM (theory of mind) like when two people are interacting, one talks about something that upset her, then a 3rd person suddenly enters the room and says something that triggers the upset. Now clearly, in that case, no faux pas was committed b/c that 3rd person wasn't supposed to know, they weren't there for the main part of the dialogue. That's just a basic example, there are some that are more involved. But it sort of alludes to that classic "marble test", the one to test if you have autism where Sally goes out of the room, the other kid takes the marble from the red box and puts it in a blue box, then Sally comes back in...blah blah blah, you know the rest :)

When I answered these, I took care to answer fairly quickly like in less than 10 seconds, as if it were in real-time b/c socio-emotional intuition works much faster than analytical thinking. So, that's one more reason why sometimes getting an ASD/HFA (formerly Asperger) diagnosis can be tricky for some practitioners, b/c Aspies have learned some rudiments of social interaction by heart and they've learned to mask. In a similar vein, I once did a test of facial expressions, and got 17/20 - it was multiple choice (four answers) and two were usually close, like contempt and disgust. Again, I answered fairly quickly to simulate reality. The final score told me that I've got above-average emotional intelligence (ha ha!) - but again ,this is a simulation and is more static, it doesn't necessarily & accurately predict success in real interactions. 8O But the two test results were encouraging, nonetheless.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 8:35 pm

can you please link to this test or tests?

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 8:41 pm

auntblabby wrote:

right? I am afraid of my result XD

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 8:53 pm

Fern wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

right? I am afraid of my result XD

https://docs.autismresearchcentre.com/t ... _Adult.pdf

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 6:00 am

I have trouble discerning any but the most obvious facial expressions.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 4:09 pm

I got all but one of them. The "buying a chicken at the butcher" story makes no sense to me, because she assumes a barbecued chicken isn't free-range for apparently no reason. How does she know what kind of life that chicken had?