Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 4:32 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
skibum wrote:
I can't handle aggressive music at all. I have massive meltdowns and can actually go into sensory overload shock.

I like a lot of quiet music too. Everything has a time and a place. 8)

I can't stand a lot of piano music, for sensory reasons. It's like the person is poking me when they hit the piano keys. It reminds me of little kids when they nudge you for attention, which drives me mad.

Chopin in particular makes me melt down. It's too "pokey". Sometimes my masseur plays classical music streams and if Chopin comes on I nearly jump off the table naked. :roll:
That's funny. It's not but the visual is!! My dad is a classical pianist so I started playing when I was three. I love soft piano music especially Chopin Nocturnes! I find it fascinating that you have that particular response to the keys. I can understand how you feel though. We have different responses to different stimuli. Right now I am obsessed with soft Hawaiian music. I spent a very significant part of my life living in Hawaii and I have a very deep connection with Hawaiian culture. It feeds my soul.

Wreck It Ralph

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 4:33 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Indeed.
I do like Discharged, Totalt Jävla Mörker, early Teddybears Sthlm, Abhinanda and so on.
But I also like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbMk8Fd ... FpQk2zbOnc

/Mats

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 4:34 pm

I love that people love different kinds of music. I just with that they were considerate of everyone else. I always wear a headset or earbuds and if I listen through a speaker I keep it soft enough so that others can't hear it. I wish that everyone else would have the same consideration. I understand that people love to blast their music as loud as they can and I am all for that as long as it's through a headset so that I can't hear it.

Wreck It Ralph

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 4:36 pm

Dandansson wrote:
I know that people with ASD can experience meltdowns or go into freeze mode (I don't know the formal term). Some get a bit agressive and other people go into freeze mode. I know one person who is very much into heavy music, eg death metal and other, what I would describe as, agressive music. Is it good for people who go into freeze mode to listen to "aggresive" music?
Is this really good? Does it help? I'm sure it will be of less help for people who experience meltdowns (perhaps even bad). I'm not saying that it will help them get out of freeze mode. I can't imagine that it will. All I am saying is that it perhaps helps them in their life in some way or another.
Why would a person with ASD listen to "aggressive" music?
Has "agressive" music been good or bad for you?

I found this: "The aggressiveness can even be a bonus - it feels like the music absorbs all the negativity I can't express and releases it for me." https://www.reddit.com/r/aspergers/comm ... tal_music/

I don't know much if anything about how music and meltdowns/freezes personally correspond for me, but i can say that I like orchestral, rock and some metal music in terms of "heaviness". There's just something about it that makes me stim happily! I also have noise cancelling headphones which can connect to things via Bluetooth, they're a wonderful thing to have on a long train journey!
In terms of being considerate: all music tastes are valid!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 4:47 pm

NaturalEntity wrote:
Dandansson wrote:
I know that people with ASD can experience meltdowns or go into freeze mode (I don't know the formal term). Some get a bit agressive and other people go into freeze mode. I know one person who is very much into heavy music, eg death metal and other, what I would describe as, agressive music. Is it good for people who go into freeze mode to listen to "aggresive" music?
Is this really good? Does it help? I'm sure it will be of less help for people who experience meltdowns (perhaps even bad). I'm not saying that it will help them get out of freeze mode. I can't imagine that it will. All I am saying is that it perhaps helps them in their life in some way or another.
Why would a person with ASD listen to "aggressive" music?
Has "agressive" music been good or bad for you?

I found this: "The aggressiveness can even be a bonus - it feels like the music absorbs all the negativity I can't express and releases it for me." https://www.reddit.com/r/aspergers/comm ... tal_music/

I don't know much if anything about how music and meltdowns/freezes personally correspond for me, but i can say that I like orchestral, rock and some metal music in terms of "heaviness". There's just something about it that makes me stim happily! I also have noise cancelling headphones which can connect to things via Bluetooth, they're a wonderful thing to have on a long train journey!
In terms of being considerate: all music tastes are valid!
Yes! All tastes are valid. People just have to be careful not to impose their tastes on others especially when it can be so dangerous for some.

I LOVE my Bluetooth noise cancelling headsets!! ! One of the best inventions ever!! :D

Wreck It Ralph

Dandansson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Nov 2021, 4:50 pm

mohsart wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Indeed.
I do like Discharged, Totalt Jävla Mörker, early Teddybears Sthlm, Abhinanda and so on.

/Mats

Handklaver ska're va'!
Nothing beats an awesome accordion!

NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 4:51 pm

Agreed about people forcing tastes on others. It can be quite prevalent in places and can be overwhelming for whoever is on the receiving end.
The headphones aren't just useful for blocking out noise, you can use them to make a journey really atmospheric by playing whatever suits you mood/whatever you are into currently through them. Adds to the excitement of the journey.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 4:54 pm

mohsart wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Indeed.

/Mats

I'd never heard Totalt Jävla Mörker before but they were definitely worth giving a listen to.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 5:04 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I'd never heard Totalt Jävla Mörker before but they were definitely worth giving a listen to.

Happy to oblige, for early Teddybears Sthlm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCulxuP ... nc&index=4 (forget about the newer stuff!) and for Abhinanda https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCzyIvZFCgw

/Mats

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 7:01 pm

NaturalEntity wrote:
Agreed about people forcing tastes on others. It can be quite prevalent in places and can be overwhelming for whoever is on the receiving end.
The headphones aren't just useful for blocking out noise, you can use them to make a journey really atmospheric by playing whatever suits you mood/whatever you are into currently through them. Adds to the excitement of the journey.
Definitely!!

Wreck It Ralph

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 9:02 pm

Dandansson wrote:
mohsart wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Indeed.

/Mats

Handklaver ska're va'!
Nothing beats an awesome accordion!

What...and where is this event?

The folks look Swedish. And the music (and dance steps) seem like a cross between polka, and waltz.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 11:33 pm

I'm partial to Slovenian polka music, myself. :wink:

WeirdMetronome
Raven
Raven

03 Nov 2021, 2:09 am

I listen to heavier music, though it is just one specific band, for some reason I can't seem to get into other heavy bands. I guess it's mostly a stim, though also partially because the darker music is better at expressing how I feel. Most mainstream music is too happy for me or they sing about things I can't relate to.

If I'm anxious though, especially at work, I will play guqin music in the background which is super calming for me.

Other music I listen to tends to be soundtracks from favourite games etc.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 5:09 am

probably depends highly on the individual in question.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson