Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

hold_sway
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Dec 2021, 10:32 am

Rarely these days. I find it hard to follow but I have long loved science/speculative/dystopian fiction. And the Sherlock Holmes stories. I don’t care for ‘literary fiction.’ I’m a poet so I spend most of my time reading poetry or craft books.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 10:39 am

Yes, and I write it, too, though I've yet to get anything officially published.

I had a long period of time that I pretty much only read non-officially published fiction from the internet, written mostly by amateurs, but now I've gotten into reading books in actual book form again.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 10:48 am

I read both fiction and non-fiction. While I love reading about historical things, I find that in general it takes me longer to read through a non-fiction book than it is for a fiction book. I love fiction because I can instantly get sucked into the world of the book and I can vividly see in my head the story playing out like a movie.

Right now my current reading material is a Consumer Reports magazine which I suppose is considered nonfiction, but the next thing I plan on reading is a vintage Hardy Boys book.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 11:53 am

How would you feel, Fireblossom, if an inflectional ending in a Finnish word was wrong in a great work of Finnish literature?

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 1:22 pm

I read both but I have trended to non-fiction in the last ten years or so because I can read that at a much slower pace with all the stuff I have going on. I like to read fiction like a good meal.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Dec 2021, 2:27 pm

I read both....though I have to say that non-fiction is harder to get into because it's usually a fluff job. I loved reading personal journals, though. Not the doctored memoirs being manufactured purely for publishing but the personal logs that people would keep for themselves, or as part of their job or those sorts of things. A lot more honesty and coincidental data in those.

Stuff like research journals/books and treatise are just, muah. Chefskiss.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 2:44 pm

Dyslexia and adhd held me back from reading and I only discovered that I could actually do it about three years ago. I've read a lifetimes worth of fiction during this time. I absolutely love it and I wish that I could have done it years ago as it might have helped me in many many ways.

My absolute favourite is The Patrick Rothfuss books and I'm currently reading The Game Of Thrones books for the second time around. They were the first ones I read so they're sinking in a bit better the second time round.

ronglxy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Dec 2021, 2:56 pm

I'm "classead" an hfa, AS, loner-nerd++ and read, write and draw fiction and non-fiction avidly and equally.

They are like breathing: necessary and enjoyable!

It's my grest survival skill to read & write non-fiction like, and as if, it were fiction.

In (weird + wierd) is my truth & sanity ! !

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Dec 2021, 3:10 pm

babybird wrote:
...so they're sinking in a bit better the second time round.

Heck yeah! That's how Lord Of The Rings was for me. It was among the first few books I read and I reread it several times. I kept up the habit and often reread old favorites. It's always nice reading a story you know is good, and often pick up on a lot of other things you missed the first time around, especially the more subtle stuff that takes many parts of the book to culminate into completely new meaning and layers you didn't know existed.

arx3745
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Dec 2021, 8:45 pm

I love reading fiction.

I've slowed down a bit as I've gotten older but I still finish two or three books a month in addition to keeping up with all my other hobbies.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 8:55 pm

I like fiction. But I love non-fiction and the subjects I can get obsessed with seem infinite. So who has time for fiction :lol:.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2021, 10:27 pm

I try to read fiction whenever I can.

Currently, I am trying to finish reading Stephen King's novel The Long Walk.

I also write fiction for people to act out and recently got one copyrighted through the US Copyright Office.

Wish_Caster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2021, 8:40 am

I like Fiction! I read many fiction books as a kid and though I don’t read as often anymore I still love books. Fiction gives you friends that you can return to anytime. I don’t enjoy nonfiction much unless its something I really care about.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 8:55 am

Jay123 wrote:
I've read that people with Asperger's Hate Fiction, I read Fiction and NonFiction, I'm an English Major so I enjoy books up the Ying Yang, I think it's a misconception that People on the Spectrum have No Imagination such as no Pretend Play and hating Literature, what do you guys think?

I love both fiction and nonfiction! I think my bookshelves are about 50/50 (maybe leaning slightly towards nonfiction).

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 3:03 am

Well I didn't (and still don't) do pretend play but I can read fiction. I haven't read much since I finished uni because while I was there I read so much. I got sick of it in a way.

The fantasy world of Tamora Pierce is one of my favourites. Other authors I like are Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Moon. I also like Star Trek books.

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2021, 4:02 pm

Jay123 wrote:
I've read that people with Asperger's Hate Fiction, I read Fiction and NonFiction, I'm an English Major so I enjoy books up the Ying Yang, I think it's a misconception that People on the Spectrum have No Imagination such as no Pretend Play and hating Literature, what do you guys think?

I read absolutely no fiction , and I'm also not interested in the lore of videogames or other kind of games.

I'm a total aspie indeed. I read only documented history books with proven facts by the major historians out there.