Page 2 of 10 [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 4:12 pm

It took me until age 6 1/2 to learn to write. My father had me copy my name; that was the first time I wrote. Before then, I used to pretend to write by scribbling.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 4:19 pm

Isnt that when you're supposed to learn to write? In first grade when you're six?

That how it was in my day, if I remember right.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 4:22 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I think my brother would be considered Aspergers in that regard, because he's like a chatty professor. Although he does have sensory issues and other characteristics of Autism.

The spiky profiles are so interesting to me. I can excel in academics, drive a car, and recite strings of information, but I can't make phone calls and I'll have a meltdown if the sun shines.

I take it that you live in the UK (much less sunshine than the US outside of Seattle).

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 4:25 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Isnt that when you're supposed to learn to write? In first grade when you're six?

That how it was in my day, if I remember right.
Usually it's just a bit younger than six. But six is not considered too old to be learning to write. But learning to write starts in kindergarten. They expect kids to know the alphabet before they get to Kindergarten.

Wreck It Ralph

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 4:31 pm

I deal with internal meltdowns, sharp impatience, and bad moods every day during daylight hours. I feel rage and discomfort the whole time. I'm just not myself until the sun sets. Then like magic, everything settles and I'm at peace. I almost feel like I'm allergic to daylight. I just can't handle it. It makes my skin and eyes hurt and I feel nauseated.

Cloudy / stormy days are better than full sun, but I still wanna die between sunrise and sunset. I've taken to wearing colour-tinted glasses indoors and using blackout curtains, but it's still not the same as proper dark.

Winter is the worst. Something about the angle of the sun, and the fact the days get longer.

No I'm not a Goth or a vampire, but my brain just can't handle daylight. I live in a place that I consider very sunny, but I haven't been able to move because of parenting. Now I'm just too settled to relocate.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 5:10 pm

These days, kids learn to write their names in preschool.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 5:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
These days, kids learn to write their names in preschool.
With some of these kids, it makes you think they are mastering calculus and English lit in the womb.

Wreck It Ralph

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 5:17 pm

I’m taking about kids in Head Start. Many of these kids come from disadvantaged backgrounds.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 6:28 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I’m taking about kids in Head Start. Many of these kids come from disadvantaged backgrounds.
Head Start is a great program. I remember when they first started it.

Wreck It Ralph

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2021, 9:48 pm

skibum wrote:
Actually, IQ testing was part of my Autism diagnosis.

In the DSM-5 ASD diagnosis, they state:
"Specify if: With or without accompanying intellectual impairment ..."

I find it hard to make sense out of the published statistics on the IQ of us with ASD. I just looked up the S. Korea study which tried to evaluate all kids in a population of 55,266 kids. Here is the published study: Prevalence of Autism Spectrum Disorders in a Total Population Sample

This study defines ID as IQ of less than 80. The overall average IQ of estimated ASD population is 91 with 24% ID. It is further broken down to those who had been receiving services (High-Probability Group) and those who had not. The 49.1% might be a little low since it does not include 3.5% with no IQ testing in the High-Probability Group.

______Group__________ASD_IQ__ID
High-Probability Group__1.89% 75 49.1%
General Population_____0.75% 98 13.9%
Overall______________2.64% 91 24%

ASD = ASD out of total population

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 12:50 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I deal with internal meltdowns, sharp impatience, and bad moods every day during daylight hours. I feel rage and discomfort the whole time. I'm just not myself until the sun sets. Then like magic, everything settles and I'm at peace. I almost feel like I'm allergic to daylight. I just can't handle it. It makes my skin and eyes hurt and I feel nauseated.

Cloudy / stormy days are better than full sun, but I still wanna die between sunrise and sunset. I've taken to wearing colour-tinted glasses indoors and using blackout curtains, but it's still not the same as proper dark.

Winter is the worst. Something about the angle of the sun, and the fact the days get longer.

No I'm not a Goth or a vampire, but my brain just can't handle daylight. I live in a place that I consider very sunny, but I haven't been able to move because of parenting. Now I'm just too settled to relocate.

North Pole receive 24 hours of darkness. Maybe you should look into moving there lol. No more penetrating rays of a thermonuclear fusion ball in the sky. Sounds like you might be at risk of Vitamin d deficiency, hopefully you take it in capsule form. I feel it is essential for your health and wellbeing.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 1:21 am

I sent my CV to Santa Claus. Maybe I can make toys in my spare time?

Seriously though, I couldn't move because our parenting court order said we couldn't be more than 20 miles apart, from the time my daughter was six months old. Now that she's grown up I can't leave because she and I are both on disability benefits, and because I have to take care of my mother.

So, sucks to be me.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 1:52 am

naturalplastic wrote:
But non aspie autistics could also be 70 (slightly subpar) normal, or above normal IQ, as well.

When Temple Grandin's story was first highlighted it was a big deal that somebody diagnosed as intellectually disabled and non-verbal could end up becoming a university professor and having an IQ of 150 was a one-off.

Today we know that it's not the case.

Nueroplasticity with autistic people is very fluid and global measures of IQ hides other more specific types of intelligence.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 2:03 am

i've tested from mentally ret*d range, to gifted range. i guess i'm mostly average. when i was 11 i did score 100% on a music theory test for children with no musical education. i was told that was rare, everybody else got 60s-70s. to me, that was just pattern recognition.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 2:10 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:

The "days" (if by that you mean "hours of daylight") get shorter. Not longer in the Winter. Unless you live in the Southern Hemisphere. Are you an Aussie? Then your "summer" (hot weather, and more hours of sunlight) would be in the winter months.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 2:22 am

The days get longer after Dec 21 until June 21 in the Northern hemisphere.

Dec 21 is the shortest day of the year, and then the days get longer until summer solstice which happens to be my birthday (I celebrate hard, knowing I can start to relax again until December).