Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 4:03 am

no way to know except to get tested.

ChiefEspatier
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Feb 2022, 11:24 am

Aspinator wrote:
My best guess is that autism and IQ have the same correlation as that of the general population. Only a small percentage of the general population have autism but I would imagine having a high or low IQ would be the same as the general population.

The question is for how long?

IQ is a massive life advantage if you're autistic.

IQ is a measure of general intelligence, sometimes the IQtest can be bunk but ultimately it correlates to the idea of general intelligence.

General intelligence is a very consistent idea that describes exactly what you think it does. How well can you juggle information?

The idea IQ isn't important is just blatant misinformation, ultimately the kind that is dangerous.

It's a general concept but one that is relatively consistent. Your ability to juggle ideas, words, numbers, pictures, social behaviors in your head all more or less correspond to your IQ. Juggling thoughts doesn't correlate to execution of those thoughts, if you can't exercise your mouth the juggling doesn't matter. But if you can the ability to juggle is radically important.

IQ tests attempt to take an inventory of how you process all kinds of information. The idea is the more types of things that are juggle the more accurate view you get of the internal/general ability to juggle.

Being blind obviously means you're gonna score low on your ability to juggle pictures/imagery. But that doesn't mean your IQ is lower.

The same logic applies to autism. If you can't talk that doesn't mean your IQ is lower, that means part of the test isn't gonna be representative of your IQ.

General Intelligence is quite directly what it means to be intelligent.

To conflate a talent with general intelligence is to miss the point of what the score means. It's quite specifically your ability to juggle information. It's a meta ability that you can apply to virtually every area of your life.

There's a radically powerful link to IQ and success in life, not just monetary but your ability to avoid disease, crime, maintain a relationship, get married in the first place etc.

Iq is also something that you inherit, which means across time populations get more intelligent.

In the case of autism IQ is power tool in over coming obstacles.

A simple example is the ability to learn about how humans work, if you can't juggle concepts like personality etc in your head, you're gonna have a radically hard time understanding people.

It's very very likely that the main reason autistic people are seen as intelligent is directly because it radically increases the odds your gonna have a position of high status in our society.

There's a reason autistic people do well in tech and not so much elsewhere.

Your ability to juggle numbers/code/algorithms/detect errors in code etc is intensely powerful.

Since it's heritable, and it's a serious advantage in terms of reproducing it's very likely, if it hasn't already happened, that high IQ'd individuals are gonna increasingly be the mainstay of the autistic population regardless of disability.

There's a movement that wishes to spread misinformation about IQ, but it's more or less a fact. IQ is a sh***y thing to learn about because you're stuck with it more or less at birth. Hard work didn't make you smart, and hard work won't make you smarter. You can neither take credit for being born with a high IQ, nor can you compensate for the inequality it creates either across societies.

If you want to be irrational about IQ I'm not gonna stop you, but please don't spread misinformation.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 1:11 pm

^ While what you've said is true generally speaking,,on a personal level it hasn't been.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 1:45 pm

I think IQ tests are done as the norm when making a diagnosis for autism. In the last at least it was a requirement to not have intellectual disability to be diagnosed with Asperger's. Naturally excluding lower IQ people from the diagnosis will average out the median IQ for aspies to an above average range compared to NT's.

I had an IQ test done with my autism diagnosis. It was unusual as I'm dyslexic and have dyscalculia so it skewed my IQ results with peaks and troughs everywhere you looked.

For me it was 107 "normal" IQ and 117 general ability index whatever that means but it shows an interesting disparity learning difficulties can have on IQ results.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 2:05 pm

I wasn't given any cognitive tests when I was assessed. Perhaps that was due to my age.

ChiefEspatier
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Feb 2022, 2:55 pm

firemonkey wrote:
^ While what you've said is true generally speaking,,on a personal level it hasn't been.

It being cold in your city doesn't mean global warming ain't happening.

FYI I live in Canada winter sucks.

AnomalousAspergian
Raven
Raven

03 Feb 2022, 3:36 pm

IQ tests are based on obsolete "scientific" methods, as Stephen Gould points out.

ChiefEspatier
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Feb 2022, 3:39 pm

AnomalousAspergian wrote:
IQ tests are based on obsolete "scientific" methods, as Stephen Gould points out.

Guy has been dead for 20 years, that's the stone ages in terms of intelligence research.

We now have very good ways of measuring how higher iq brains work, and we have a growing understanding how inheritance is a massive factor in IQ.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 5:03 pm

i joined 4 sigma society a while back because I could. However I soon realised that a society with 13 members who had PhDs was a league or two above me.So I quit.I'm a non university educated,autistic and severely mentally ill 'never was',lower than a 'has been'.

Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 8:16 pm

Strangely, I was never given an IQ test by my assessor. Of course I've done some of those free online tests but those aren't reliable. From what I've read on WP it seems like standard procedure to determine the person's IQ level(s) as part of an assessment. Nevertheless I got the old "Asperger's" label.

Being smart was one of only 3 ways I could separate myself positively from my peers. The second was artistic skill, and the third "being unique". I faked being smart (i.e. spoke in obscure language and devoured French philosophy) for quite a few years because I enjoyed the positive attention. I stopped when I realized that faking intelligence is among the stupidest things you can do.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2022, 12:21 am

I've never felt the need to fake intelligence. I can go from utter fool(my words) to 'occasional genius' and 'often gifted'. Other people's description of me.

Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2022, 2:16 am

I've been called both "genius" and "utter social fool" on several occasions. Not sure how many times the former was said in jest.

Friends some ten years ago colluded to drag my ego down to Earth because I claimed to speak Japanese, so they got a girl who had actually studied Japanese to test my ability to recognise kanji (Chinese characters which are used natively in Japanese). I only got "snow" wrong, but that was because the other ones were strictly beginner level. Close shot, but no humiliation that time. :lol:

indyellisd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Feb 2022, 7:20 pm

1986 wrote:
Strangely, I was never given an IQ test by my assessor. Of course I've done some of those free online tests but those aren't reliable. From what I've read on WP it seems like standard procedure to determine the person's IQ level(s) as part of an assessment. Nevertheless I got the old "Asperger's" label.

Being smart was one of only 3 ways I could separate myself positively from my peers. The second was artistic skill, and the third "being unique". I faked being smart (i.e. spoke in obscure language and devoured French philosophy) for quite a few years because I enjoyed the positive attention. I stopped when I realized that faking intelligence is among the stupidest things you can do.

I was diagnosed with the Asperger's flavor of ASD just 2 weeks ago and I was given a full IQ test. The write up on my dx, and subsequent follow up interview, used the correlation of the two to help me interpret past experiences. My perception is that IQ is one of many ingredients (symptom) that make up a "positive" dx and/but that we all have unique variations of a wide range of ingredients. Whether that is accurate or not, I'm can't say with confidence. I've only had this lens at my disposal for the last two weeks of my (almost) 48 years.

From my dx: "The higher the IQ [and I suspect the inverse, since it's all relative to average] the more one with ASD has difficulty experiencing the world in the same way as their peers."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2022, 12:26 am

even more hurtful to me was being called a social r*tard repeatedly, that cut me more than just being thought of as big/dumb/clumsy/slow/ugly. when one's own kinfolk call one stupid, that is in some ways worse than one's school associates do likewise.

Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2022, 6:44 am

Quote:
From my dx: "The higher the IQ [and I suspect the inverse, since it's all relative to average] the more one with ASD has difficulty experiencing the world in the same way as their peers."

Never heard that one before. Maybe that's because my peers are all living in a lie and I'm the only one seeing the true reality. I don't think calling it "difficulty" suits very well, "inevitability" is better. :twisted: [/sarcasm]

JimJohn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2022, 3:32 pm

ChiefEspatier wrote:
Aspinator wrote:
My best guess is that autism and IQ have the same correlation as that of the general population. Only a small percentage of the general population have autism but I would imagine having a high or low IQ would be the same as the general population.

The question is for how long?

IQ is a massive life advantage if you're autistic.

IQ is a measure of general intelligence, sometimes the IQtest can be bunk but ultimately it correlates to the idea of general intelligence.

General intelligence is a very consistent idea that describes exactly what you think it does. How well can you juggle information?

The idea IQ isn't important is just blatant misinformation, ultimately the kind that is dangerous.

It's a general concept but one that is relatively consistent. Your ability to juggle ideas, words, numbers, pictures, social behaviors in your head all more or less correspond to your IQ. Juggling thoughts doesn't correlate to execution of those thoughts, if you can't exercise your mouth the juggling doesn't matter. But if you can the ability to juggle is radically important.

IQ tests attempt to take an inventory of how you process all kinds of information. The idea is the more types of things that are juggle the more accurate view you get of the internal/general ability to juggle.

Being blind obviously means you're gonna score low on your ability to juggle pictures/imagery. But that doesn't mean your IQ is lower.

The same logic applies to autism. If you can't talk that doesn't mean your IQ is lower, that means part of the test isn't gonna be representative of your IQ.

General Intelligence is quite directly what it means to be intelligent.

To conflate a talent with general intelligence is to miss the point of what the score means. It's quite specifically your ability to juggle information. It's a meta ability that you can apply to virtually every area of your life.

There's a radically powerful link to IQ and success in life, not just monetary but your ability to avoid disease, crime, maintain a relationship, get married in the first place etc.

Iq is also something that you inherit, which means across time populations get more intelligent.

In the case of autism IQ is power tool in over coming obstacles.

A simple example is the ability to learn about how humans work, if you can't juggle concepts like personality etc in your head, you're gonna have a radically hard time understanding people.

It's very very likely that the main reason autistic people are seen as intelligent is directly because it radically increases the odds your gonna have a position of high status in our society.

There's a reason autistic people do well in tech and not so much elsewhere.

Your ability to juggle numbers/code/algorithms/detect errors in code etc is intensely powerful.

Since it's heritable, and it's a serious advantage in terms of reproducing it's very likely, if it hasn't already happened, that high IQ'd individuals are gonna increasingly be the mainstay of the autistic population regardless of disability.

There's a movement that wishes to spread misinformation about IQ, but it's more or less a fact. IQ is a sh***y thing to learn about because you're stuck with it more or less at birth. Hard work didn't make you smart, and hard work won't make you smarter. You can neither take credit for being born with a high IQ, nor can you compensate for the inequality it creates either across societies.

If you want to be irrational about IQ I'm not gonna stop you, but please don't spread misinformation.

Can you provide evidence that there is a movement to spread misinformation about IQ?