Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

noisserped
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2021, 4:13 am

So, today I learned Anne Rice had a son, who also happens to be... a novelist, what a surprise? While my mum just farts all day, so I guess I know what I'm trapped by society to doing. :roll: 45k words I wrote, nary a view... very difficult to continue at this rate.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 4:21 am

I don't believe in determinism, i believe in mutations. It's also important to have a strong internal locus of control.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 6:32 am

It's tricky that. Because a lot of that son/daughter of making it in the same industry as the parent is just marketing. You almost have a guaranteed market for a book written by the child of an established, popular author. At least for the first book. People will buy it just to find out if they're any good.

Similarly why it's easier to get published if you're already an actor or a TV celeb or a musician - the market for your work is already proven, it's less risk for publishers so you get to short-cut the selection process that most authors have to fight through.

Who's to say whether they'd have got there on their own merits?

Particularly with publishing because there's an awful lot of factors at play beyond whether you can write a good book or not. Publishers look at whether you're a marketable person, how you come across to people. They look for books that fit with current trends. They look for books that are the first part of a series, rather than a stand-alone work.

I know what you mean though. I had some success with short stories, won a few competitions. But writing a novel has trashed my confidence - I can hardly bear to look at it, let alone edit it. And it's hard to keep your confidence up when literally no-one is interested in your book but you - but then, why should they be?

The only advice I have is to read bad books (as well as good ones, obviously). When I read bad books that have been published, particularly if they've been somewhat successful, I get fired up. I know I can do better than those books and they made it through, without a celebrity name or an established author parent - that's where my hope comes from.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 6:38 am

DuckHairback wrote:
And it's hard to keep your confidence up when literally no-one is interested in your book but you - but then, why should they be?.

That's why if i ever tried to write a book, it'd have to be an unauthorized biography. You have a built in market share. For. e.g. if you publish a book on Jesus, you got 500 million potential readers immediately. It could be anyone famous really though.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)