Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2021, 4:34 pm

As the title says, in my country (Italy) I can go to a special visit with doctors (working for the government) who certify your condition and you can get a % of disability based on your condition.

That said, with 75% disability (out of 100%) you get 290 euros per months (circa 330 usd) but it is hard with only Asperger syndrome to get 75% (the rule is to give 42% disability with asperger syndrome), you can get 75% if you also have something like major depression or manic-depressive status.

Also, this visit is proved to be self-detrimental to your self-esteem I think, what do you guys think?

how does it work in your country? do you get any kind of benefits for ASD and other related issues?

TLDR; In italy you can get 330 usd x month if you have ASD and other issues and some benefits like free hospital visits and free university (for example)

EDIT: sorry for the bump, I'm new to the forum and I was trying out the "Bump Topic" function.
I didn't do that on purpose. :lol:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 4:44 pm

I'm on both SSI and EBT despite working for less than a year.

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2021, 4:55 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

sorry but what is SSI and EBT?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 5:16 pm

BlossX wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live if you are not from the US?

BlossX
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2021, 5:46 pm

BlossX wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live if you are not from the US?

Italy

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 5:53 pm

My government doesn't provide help for people on the autism spectrum. A person may get support if a condition prevents them from gainful employment, but even then its only at a level that is 33% below poverty. A diagnosis of ASD does not automatically provide assistance to adults (financial or otherwise).

Most people seem the think that autism either magically disappears at 18 or that family will provide care and assistance for life.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 6:24 pm

AFAIK there's no UK government help for my level of ASD (I don't know what level I've got because my DX is for Aspergers - all I have about the severity is that my scores were about halfway between no ASD and as severe as it gets). There was once a Disability Living Allowance, and I should have qualified for the cooking component of that, but they turned my application down, for reasons they never explained apart from a glib comment "you do not need help with this." It was a tiny amount of money, and they were about to abolish DLA anyway, so I didn't bother to appeal. It might be theoretically possible to get help, but from what I can see they'd be obstructive about accepting a claim, so you'd probably need the help of somebody who knows how to work the system, and you'd probably have to lodge an appeal and get a lawyer to fight it for you. And they'd probably review it every year or two and chuck you off it if you didn't put a lot of energy into stopping them.

There's no free advice on how to live with the condition either, except maybe from charities such as the NAS, and I've not found them of any practical use to me. I told them I'd been diagnosed and asked what they could do to help me, but they never replied. I told them I was applying for DLA and they said I should qualify, and they gave me a couple of tips about that, but that was all, they didn't do anything profound like take on the case or give me step-by-step, detailed advice on how to proceed.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 6:32 pm

No.

Even then, Texas's disability services are horrible, if even existent.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2021, 6:51 pm

No. I probably would qualify with my combined autism and physical disabilities and chronic pain. But over here you can not own much asset. I guess I don't mind not being poor, but I can't live up to "normal people" expectations. My boys might qualify but we have not tried yet. I heard the process is very difficult.

NoMoreRegrets94
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2021, 9:17 pm

Not specifically. I only take the unemployment benefits. I hate shrinks and related doctors and I refuse to meet with them on principle. These f*****s destroyed my life after all.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 4:20 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
No.

Even then, Texas's disability services are horrible, if even existent.

ya Tell me about it they are horrible in West Texas in my experience.I have waiting to start applying for my first entry career-track level job for the better part of a decade and been unemployed that whole time because of horrible disablity services.I am giving up on Texas disabilty services if they dont help me this time.I think social problems in Texas would get better to some degree if they gave the disabled who could not work a better safety net and better government services.And they typically put all bachelor degree holders in McJobs working part-time.I bet DARS fails me yet again.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 5:54 am

No.

Goverment barely supports seniors, let alone disability and/or indigent statuses.

The most of government support my house receives are mostly to do with indigent status, also the fact my mom's politically involved and active -- not my disability status. And we're all 3 frontliner workers, full time workers before the pandemic.

Not to mention internal politics involved -- to a point of corruption born out of pettiness of politics. :roll:
Small but local political factions deciding who gets a sum per month and who doesn't -- in seniors and in disability support resources towards one another and itself.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 7:28 am

For Aspergers Syndrome/Level 1 autism alone: nothing.

With other conditions combined with the above: maybe. It’s an arduous process to apply for disability. You’re usually rejected the first time. Probably need a lawyer for the appeal.

SSI is about $800 a month. SSDI varies. You get Medicaid and maybe rental assistance through Section 8. $800 a month is doable in rural areas, impossible in cities.

AngelL
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Dec 2021, 8:32 am

I live alone in Seattle, Washington in the United States. I began receiving Social Security Disability (SSDI) of $956/month in 2019. I applied for disability seven years earlier, in 2012, after my doctor told me to stop working for health reasons. Between 2012 and 2019, I lived on state disability of $142/month (which ended when I was approved for SSDI). Why did it take so long to be approved? Perhaps I didn't have enough wrong with me...

Coronary heart disease - six heart attacks
Chronic kidney disease stage 3a
Myasthenia Gravis - muscular auto-immune disorder (no treatment/cure)
Chronic pain - prescribed 40 mg opiates/daily
COPD
Neuropathy

Autism level 2
Dissociative Identity Disorder (aka multiple personality disorder)
complex PTSD
combat PTSD
Major depressive disorder
Panic disorder

Just the fact that most employers wouldn't allow me to come to work on opiates every day should have been enough imo but I was denied seven times prior to being approved. (three denials and an appeal followed by starting over and two more denials prior to acceptance)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 9:53 am

Going through the process to get Disability is a lot harder than working!

I'm sorry you had to go through all that you've gone through.

Were you in Afghanistan or Iraq?

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2021, 10:03 am

If you could get a guaranteed £8,000 a year ( $10,000) without lifting a finger, would you take it?

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)