My new page for autistic pride: "Autism is Sexy"

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Daryl_Blonder
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Aug 2012, 11:28 pm

Hey everyone,

I haven't been on here in a real long time so it may be a bit presumptuous of me to post this, but... I've created a new Facebook page titled "Autism Is Sexy." For anyone who lives in Los Angeles, I have a 14 x 48 poster on the corner of Sunset and LaBrea. If you go on my Facebook page, which is public, you can see it. www.autismissexy.com redirects to my book's website. But I'm not HERE, on Wrong Planet, to hawk my book; I know lots of you have read it anyways. But I do want people to go on over to the Facebook page Autism is Sexy and "like" it, so we can create a fresh image of self-determination and self-respect. Like it and spread the word!! !

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 4:32 am

I find your statement odd. How can Autism be sexy? People with Autism can be sexy, yes. But I don't see how the disorder can be sexy in and of itself.

That seems as absurd as saying 'Mmmmm, OCD, I'm going to bang OCD one of these days', or 'Oh bipolar, blow me!', or 'Oh pervasive developmental disorder, take me now!'

Unless you're using sexy like the Germans use the word giel, which I'm told also means sexy but is used in much the same way that English speakers say 'cool'. But as that is uncommon in the English speakers if think it's unlikely.

CrystalStars
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 4:35 am

I'll admit that I'm a little perplexed by the title.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 5:34 am

What you mean is you think you're sexy hence any condition you might happen to have ie Autism
is sexy too? Or Sex sells so it might just help me sell my book?

I have a particular disliking for the overuse of the word 'sexy' that seems to occur these days. If it isn't sexy it's not worth bothering with seems to me the mantra of society today.
Yes sex is used to sell everything today but associating Autism with sexiness is going a bit too far in my opinion. I wonder how the parents of Autistic children going to respond to this ie at what age does the sexiness kick in?

Jumping on the Autism bandwagon with a cynical marketing ploy that turns my stomach.

And yes you are here to hawk your book as someone will be stupid enough to buy it!

And to the 'lots of you' who have read it - let's have a review!

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 8:06 am

Autism is many things, but definately not sexy

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 8:36 am

I imagine you are appealing to the culture we live in. You've actually made a metaphor: 'autism is sexy'. This is a device used to change people's perceptions, by changing the metaphors that are used to identify/totalize (thus stereotype) people. Did you know human thought is structured by metaphor? Lakoff and Johnson have a great book called: Metaphors We Live By. There is another revealing book called: Metaphors Men Live By. People think it is a figure of speech, but it is not merely that - it is the stuff of thought itself. So, you have the right idea. I do think we live in an over-sexualized and commercial culture; however, I think sexy also has different meanings such as: suave or cool. It may not be any of these things for people who are on the spectrum or have any like challenges, but you probably have good intentions. I will look at your site to see what you are trying to do. I have mixed feelings. It might be one of the most effective ways to have a conversation with the culture at large. I am not a fan of the culture at large is probably part of the problem for me. But more power to people who are trying to do good in this world. I get the impression you are trying to do good.

Ai_Ling
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 3:51 pm

Is this just an attention getter statement? But you dont really mean it, literally. Or is it one of those trying to change the way we look at autism statements. If its that, I feel theres other things you can say but not "autism is sexy".

AutisticBelle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Aug 2012, 4:25 pm

Confusion, confusion. Why is autism sexy? I suppose my intense anxiety when standing in line at the super market, resulting in a humiliating meltdown is now the new hot honey act? I know I wouldn't think it was sexy if I saw that happen to someone else, I'd just feel sorry for them.
But I'm being a little harsh I suppose. I don't mean to mock you or anything, but I think it is just a wee bit insulting, making autism seem sort of like a sex symbol. Its just a part of who I am, and I don't want people to focus on it as the whole of me, whether it is for good reasons or bad.
Ah, well. I suppose I just don't get it.

allakara
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Aug 2012, 4:30 pm

autism is sexy! good for you, don't let anyone stop you!

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 5:45 pm

Autism is sexy!! ! :lol:

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 5:59 pm

I think the title might have been ill-conceived in the sense that lots of autistic people take things very literally and often pedantically (not meant as an insult, I'm the most pedantic person I know). I freely admit that "People With Autism Are Equally as Capable of Being Sexy as Neurotypical People" doesn't have quite the same ring to it, lol :p Assuming you don't just want to sell your book then it's a nice idea but I agree with the negative comments of most of the posters so far.

lady_katie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 6:37 pm

Yeah...I haven't exactly "come out" to most of my friends and family about being on the spectrum...I don't really want to do it by "liking" a page called "autism is sexy". I see what you're trying to do with that title but...it feels a little too inappropriate to me. What about something like "rethinking autism". Just throwing it out there.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 7:12 pm

This is almost a non-sequitar. And Aspie pride is nonsensical. Having a condition is a fact of life. I did not choose it, so there can be no pride. Its not even worth cultivating such thoughts IMO. Because you are simply setting limits in your life, without even realizing it!
And equally, it is nothing to be ashamed of. it just IS..
One thing it is NOT though, is "SEXY". I believe someone here is thinking more on the lines of Nerd/geek being sexy. ASDs? The opposite. See my first 5 word above..

Sincerely,
Matthew

FalsettoTesla
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 7:44 pm

John_Browning wrote:
Autism is sexy!! ! :lol:

No. That person with Autism (is it verified that they are Autistic, I have no idea who they are) is attractive, depending on your view point. A developmental condition can't be sexy. It has no physical form to be physically attractive. It has no definite solid qualities, as people on the spectrum differ widely in their presentation and personality.

For instance I would say that Phillip Defranco is attractive.

He has polycystic kidney disease, but I wouldn't say that PKD is sexy.

Christina Hendricks is attractive.

She's a Taurus. I wouldn't say the star sign Taurus is sexy.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 9:13 pm

I think this comes under "epic fail".

pency
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Mar 2022, 6:39 am

the op is dead
i live near him

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/th ... d=18838101[url]

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/th ... d=18838101[/url]

i'm just bumping into his posts in 2022. i never knew he was here. i joined in 2010. he committed suicide in 2012.

this was his most recent post. i found his posts by searching for "binge eating" and found him here. was well known in my neck of the woods as he had written a book about his autism and been featured in our local newspaper as well as having landed small parts in movies.
rip daryl.