Is bed-wetting more common is children with aspergers?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 8:08 pm

Ok, so I know I've been creating quite a few threads here about various topics on questions about aspergers that I want to get answered. I hope you guys don't mind.

Anyways.... Is bed-wetting common in aspies? I wet the bed til' I was maybe 10 or so, is this normal? I think I read somewhere that it is way more common for a child with aspergers to wet the bed than a "normal" kid. Is this true? If it is, why is this?

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 8:27 pm

Members Only thread (from 2005)-"Bedwetting":
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt3647.html
Seems a common experience.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

30 Mar 2008, 8:31 pm

Well I don't know about everyone else, but I never had a problem with bed-wetting. Although I wasn't completely toilet trained until I was 5 years old [apparently].

Spiral153
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2008, 8:46 pm

pat666rick wrote:
Anyways.... Is bed-wetting common in aspies? I wet the bed til' I was maybe 10 or so, is this normal? I think I read somewhere that it is way more common for a child with aspergers to wet the bed than a "normal" kid. Is this true? If it is, why is this?

Wow, me too. I was a bedwetter, and the bedwetting stopped on its own when I was 10 years old. I never understood what caused the bedwetting in the first place, nor what caused it to stop on its own.

gitchel
Raven
Raven

30 Mar 2008, 8:48 pm

The problem seems to be that a large number of Autistics have sleeping disorders. In one Japanese study it seems to be about 25% of the young autistic children studied were bed-wetters.

Some Italian study concludes that 87% of the autistic children studied have trouble waking in the morning. I think it's safe to assume they may have had some trouble waking in the middle of the night, too.

I've always had various sleeping issues. Luckily, this problem didn't follow me into adulthood.

[email protected]
http://perseveration.org
Twitter: Gitchel

nihil de nobis sine nobis

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 9:15 pm

I was a bed-wetter until I was 6 or 7.

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 9:23 pm

I've always been an extremely deep sleeper, could this have something to do with bed-wetting?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 9:29 pm

I was a bed wetter till I was about 8...then went through extremely emotionally stressful episode when I was a teenager when it started again. I would also sleepwalk.

Joeygeorge
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Mar 2008, 9:56 pm

i thought aspies were supposed to have trouble sleeping not trouble waking for a pee

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 10:14 pm

All aspies are different. There will be no across the board right or wrong answer...

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 10:57 pm

I sometimes have a third stage of sleep. It is ODD! I will like live through a day, realize an inconsistancy, and realize I never got up, and then I wake up. Still, I don't think I ever had this problem.

As for the statistics, AS people are supposed to be less likely to have such problems, and LFA ones are supposed to be more likely, so grouping autistics together isn't a good way to answer this question/

Joeygeorge

30 Mar 2008, 11:10 pm

l??

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 12:31 am

I had a serious bedwetting problem as a kid. I had to have surgery to dilate my bladder when i was about four or five. I just remember pokey needles, cold xray rooms and one evil technician with a catheter. It kind of worked..... I tapered off around 7 or eight too. Maybe the plumbing just took a little longer to develop.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 10:22 am

Zomg, I was the exact opposite. I wanted to be toilet trained when I was a year old already (well, it took some months most likely). Everyone went on how it's not natural, that I was much too young, that my mother should just continue to put me into nappies until I was 2-3 years old... wow, people got really worked about that. But I was trained at 2. I didn't have any nightly accidents after that either.

Bopkasen
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 3:14 pm

Nevermind. Scratch that.

zonmoy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jul 2010, 12:43 am

patrick6 wrote:
Ok, so I know I've been creating quite a few threads here about various topics on questions about aspergers that I want to get answered. I hope you guys don't mind.

I am pretty sure that I wet the bed until I was about 14 or 15, I didnt stop until later than most of you. :oops: