I feel like that I understand how it feels like to have ID

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 4:54 pm

To be honest, I feel like I understand how it feels like to have Intellectual Disability. Because, I have co-morbid of Autism, Specific Learning Disorder, severe type, and tendencies of issues with adaptive functioning.

I read the symptoms of Intellectual Disability, my co-morbid of Autism, Learning Disorder, severe type and tendencies with issues with adaptive functioning makes me feel like I have the mildest form of Intellectual Disability, but intelligent.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 10:49 pm

My older sister, by nine years, has ID, and yet, she owns her own home, drives a car, teaches Tai Chi and has had multiple relationships and known love.

I don't have ID and went undetected for Autism in spite of scoring extremely highly on the Autism Quotient test. We all have our own lives to live, and though ID can be a hindrance, more often than not, people who score below 70, do amazingly well in life overall, everything considered.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 11:45 pm

It makes sense.

IQ tests are no longer required to diagnose Intellectual Disability, they can still use IQ tests to determine Intellectual Disability, but I don't think IQ measures Intelligence accurately.

The current symptoms of Intellectual Disability, and it's even more accurate:

* Problems with memories, academic learning, problem solving, logic, reasoning, abstractive thinking

* Problems with making decisions making, self-care, learning from experience, behavior problems, communication delays

The symptoms Intellectual Disability very in severity.

I have some milder problems with memories, academic learning, problem solving, self-care, making decisions, and abstractive thinking.

I have no issues with logic, reasoning and learning from experience.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 11:59 pm

I have a processing disorder which means it can take a long time to understand what people mean, especially when the information is delivered verbally. Verbal explanations or directions are the worst. I'm still trying to conceptualise part one while they've moved on to part 9.
I know the r word is not considered politically correct these days but that's exactly what it is - a form of retardation, i.e. slowness of the thought process.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 12:04 am

^ It is from people such as you, that people often receive the greatest wisdom.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 12:19 am

^ also the greatest frustration, im afraid

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2022, 12:22 am

Hey guys, thank you! It means a lot to me.

I have problematic self-esteem and get very irritable, and analyzing my worth of existing when people call me "ret*d".The hell with those people!

I specifically meant when people use it as in insult.