Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2023, 8:11 pm

I turned myself to a mental hospital 1 year ago, due to the distressing command hallucinations I had. I got retested for Autism Spectrum Disorder, diagnosed with Adjustment Disorder, with other symptom, Mental health problem and Autism Spectrum. My dad told them some history of my mental health problems and childhood history of developmental delay.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 6:36 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
If you were "level 3," it's at least somewhat likely that you wouldn't have the cognition to wonder, in writing, whether you are "level 3."

It is true that there are people who might be, for the most part, "level 3," but have this cognition and are able to type and express their thoughts.

But one who is "level 3" would likely have to have at least one other person who is around one 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. One would need a considerable amount of assistance in such things as toileting, getting dressed, "activities of daily living" skills in general.

That is not necessarily true. It's most common but not always. I am a level 3.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 6:37 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It’s not mentioned in the DSM—but I stand by what I said.

People who are severely autistic frequently have problems with “activities of daily living.”

This is an example of “needing substantial support.”

Speak to somebody who works with severely autistic people.

There are autistic folks who have difficulty with such things as toileting. That is a fact. I’m not trying to denigrate autistic people when I say this.

Autism runs the gamut.
That is true but severity can also mean different things.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 6:40 am

FranzOren wrote:
I don't think ASD Level of support is accurate to me, because now my symptoms of ASD looks like ASD level 2 and now 3, because I have serious mental health crisis related to Bipolar Disorder, but to a milder degree.

I also learned another social skills to deal with police that are not trained to handle people with serious mental health crisis, as a back up, so it wont go down to hot water caused by so much confusion.

This is what I do:

That is because I don't want to scare the police officer if I showed abnormal and intense repetitive behaviors and obvious mood changes related to Bipolar Disorder.

This is what I did, I mask all of those behaviors and do poker face, and seep out all the symptoms of Bipolar Disorder I suffer from by making lists clinical symptoms I meet the related diagnostic criteria for Bipolar Disorder.

At first the police officer kept speaking too loud without meaning to, and I seeped out sensory issues I had and told him to talk more quietly, he did and tried his best to talk more quietly, and sometimes he talks too loud, but I don't mind it, because he reminded himself to speak more quietly. it went very well.

I wanted to explain why my interaction with the police is actually not that bad actually. I just need to use my social skills appropriately and do what the officer says for my safety and theirs.
It's not always cut and dry. Don't put too much stock in the level that you are. Just know your own needs and challenges as well as your strengths and try to adjust your life according to what you need. The level numbers don't actually matter. You just need to advocate for whatever you might need help with.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 6:42 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
You're lucky you were able to mask and control your behaviours in front of police.
I've had meltdowns in front of police, because of trauma.
Either that or I freeze (shut down / flat affect), and they don't take me seriously.
When I'm in a stressful situation I can't self-regulate and I go mute, or roll up like a child.

You seem to be questioning your ASD status all the time.
Did you ever go for an assessment, and what did it say?
I can't always mask in front of police or anyone else for that matter. Sometimes I can but not often.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 6:44 am

FranzOren wrote:
I turned myself to a mental hospital 1 year ago, due to the distressing command hallucinations I had. I got retested for Autism Spectrum Disorder, diagnosed with Adjustment Disorder, with other symptom, Mental health problem and Autism Spectrum. My dad told them some history of my mental health problems and childhood history of developmental delay.
Please keep us posted. :heart:

Wreck It Ralph

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 9:54 am

Of course, will do.