Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Xander2004
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Aug 2023, 2:23 pm

Hi everyone
I'm a 19 year old guy with a mild form of ASD, I hope I came to the right place with my question.
In the past years I learned a lot of stuff about my ASD and how to deal with the difficulties I face sometimes. There is however one thing I just don't get, I can't wrap my head around it.

I can not handle it when people scream (as in them being really angry). It does not anger me, but it is, however, a very distressing thing for me to go trough. I start panicking internally, my heart starts racing, I can't eat or drink anything, get pale and just want to run from it. I don't know why this happens, because it's been years since someone was screaming for something I did, so I know it's very rarely my fault. Afterwards I feel very tired, probably because the panicking asks so much energy.

I looked it up on the internet so many times, but I can't seem to find a good solution. I do realize that I need to solve this (or at least find a way to deal with it), because it will never be the last time for me to encounter such a situation. Therefore I would like to ask my fellows on the spectrum: how do you all experience this? And do you have a way of dealing with it?

Thanks a lot

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 3:04 pm

Is it an emotional response that you get, or does it just hurt your ears? Or both?

Xander2004
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Aug 2023, 3:59 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Is it an emotional response that you get, or does it just hurt your ears? Or both?

That's a tough question, I have the feeling that the panick comes from being scared of their unpredictability, the distressed feeling might also be a result of the loud noise, that's for sure. Mostly the unpredictability. I have two parents that went through a divorce when I was young, they have both been quite unhappy for some time, wich made them have kind of short fuses, so I saw them angry a lot of times (they never put that anger on me, but I was around it a lot), and not being able to know when they would start screaming, or what could trigger it, scared me. Now whenever I encounter a situation in which someone might lose it, I get quite nervous.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 6:50 pm

Usually I try to rely on my vocal fry when screaming, rather than my vocal cords. :nerdy:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 6:54 pm

Xander2004 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

That's a tough question, I have the feeling that the panick comes from being scared of their unpredictability, the distressed feeling might also be a result of the loud noise, that's for sure. Mostly the unpredictability. I have two parents that went through a divorce when I was young, they have both been quite unhappy for some time, wich made them have kind of short fuses, so I saw them angry a lot of times (they never put that anger on me, but I was around it a lot), and not being able to know when they would start screaming, or what could trigger it, scared me. Now whenever I encounter a situation in which someone might lose it, I get quite nervous.

That sounds like an emotional flashback.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 7:06 pm

Xander2004 wrote:
How do you all handle screaming?
I give the kid back to its mother.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 8:23 pm

It depends. Am I the one being screamed at or is someone screaming at someone else or just screaming at random. If I'm being screamed at, I tend to dissociate and "freeze".