“There was no autism diagnosed before 1930.”

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 5:16 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Jon81 wrote:
As one who always wonder about this I'd really like to know what the alternative diagnosis were.

The amount of kids on the spectrum today must be more than they used to be. I'm not talking about aspergers, I'm talking about Kanners kind of autism. To miss these kind of behaviors or lack of communication is not something you can just happen to miss. With all these stories of "improvement" and "recovery" it makes me believe this kind of autism can improve or just go away by itself. When you can credit stuff like stem cells, diet changes, aba therapy, and many more methods, and no one can provide solid evidence for what actually happened.

I will probably need to come back here and explain myself again because I tend to type stuff that is totally incomplete.

ret*d. Mentally ret*d. Mental retardation etc. This is what they lumped everything under before ASD and other diagnoses were more clearly defined.

Also, I believe ASD rates are actually higher today than then due to increased use of antibiotics and poorer modern diet.

Well, that and childhood psychosis later on. Nowadays, childhood-onset psychosis is considered extremely rare, but that wasn't the case in the 1950s. They didn't keep good epidemiological numbers, but there were enough kids diagnosed with various forms of psychosis to fill entire special schools with just kids who lived in easy commute distance, which certainly isn't true now. And whereas nowadays psychosis is only diagnosed in kids who can communicate well enough to report clear hallucinations and delusions, back then, if a kid acted weird enough, they were assumed to be experiencing hallucinations and delusions even if they didn't have the verbal skills to express such experiences.

Also, unless antibiotics and poor diet can cause a previously NT adult to turn autistic, they can't explain the increased autism rates, since the rate of autism is the same in adults as in children:

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaps ... act/211276

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 5:17 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Jon81 wrote:
As one who always wonder about this I'd really like to know what the alternative diagnosis were.

The amount of kids on the spectrum today must be more than they used to be. I'm not talking about aspergers, I'm talking about Kanners kind of autism. To miss these kind of behaviors or lack of communication is not something you can just happen to miss. With all these stories of "improvement" and "recovery" it makes me believe this kind of autism can improve or just go away by itself. When you can credit stuff like stem cells, diet changes, aba therapy, and many more methods, and no one can provide solid evidence for what actually happened.

I will probably need to come back here and explain myself again because I tend to type stuff that is totally incomplete.

ret*d. Mentally ret*d. Mental retardation etc. This is what they lumped everything under before ASD and other diagnoses were more clearly defined.

Also, I believe ASD rates are actually higher today than then due to increased use of antibiotics and poorer modern diet.

I'm willing to bet kids with severe digestive issues (comorbid to autism) or with extremely limited food choices were a lot more likely to fail to thrive, become sick and pass away early on.

Different social circumstances and understandings would have lead to very different understandings. My great-grandmother for example was a reclusive weirdo her whole life who died in an asylum after a mental breakdown in her 40s but she wasn't autistic by the understandings of the time even if she's got descendents who are, even if it's likely she's part of the line so to speak.

I don't think diets or antibiotics are significantly contributing to there being more kids with autism, at least based on what I've seen while reading about it.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Last edited by funeralxempire on 12 Mar 2022, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2022, 5:18 pm

Ettina wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Jon81 wrote:

Well, that and childhood psychosis later on. Nowadays, childhood-onset psychosis is considered extremely rare, but that wasn't the case in the 1950s. They didn't keep good epidemiological numbers, but there were enough kids diagnosed with various forms of psychosis to fill entire special schools with just kids who lived in easy commute distance, which certainly isn't true now. And whereas nowadays psychosis is only diagnosed in kids who can communicate well enough to report clear hallucinations and delusions, back then, if a kid acted weird enough, they were assumed to be experiencing hallucinations and delusions even if they didn't have the verbal skills to express such experiences.

Also, unless antibiotics and poor diet can cause a previously NT adult to turn autistic, they can't explain the increased autism rates, since the rate of autism is the same in adults as in children:

It's caused typically in infancy/childhood, not adulthood. I've been sharing the details of that here on these forums for the last decade.

HiccupHaddock
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Mar 2022, 4:11 pm

Have you read the book 'Neurotribes' by Steve Silberman?

I read it earlier this year and found it fascinating. It talks about the history of diagnosing autism, and how in the early 1900s (1920s, 30s, etc.), children who were autistic were likely diagnosed with all sorts of incorrect labels and terribly misunderstood, and often their parents were encouraged or forced to hand them over to live in institutions, where their standard of living was horrendous. I hate to think of so many children misunderstood and mistreated, and their parents sometimes given little say in the matter.

Anyone else read that book and have thoughts on it?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2022, 4:24 pm

HiccupHaddock wrote:
Anyone else read that book and have thoughts on it?

Yep, have read it & currently see it on shelf across room.
Right now the ME/CFS is kicking my butt and I don't have any thoughts to present beyond that the book was quite informative.

Just now went and picked it up. Don't know what kind of paper they used but book is rather lighter than expected for a 500 page book. Definitely not claycoated paper.

Guess I would describe the book as a history of the paid-professionals' knowledge and understanding/misunderstanding of autism.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 12:12 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Ettina wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Jon81 wrote:

It's caused typically in infancy/childhood, not adulthood. I've been sharing the details of that here on these forums for the last decade.

So, explain why the prevalence of autism in adults is the same as in children, then, if it's caused by things that are happening more to children now than children in earlier generations.