Page 3 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2022, 10:43 am

This is a particularly bad day for ambition for me …… would give a eye tooth for just alittle extra today . :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2022, 10:58 am

Lady Strange wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
^^^so did you succeed at all that?

For me? I'm working at it still. Living situation is better than it was (not so much random fireworks going off here, much better for me mentally!). Still working on the job situation, hope to improve that, that is a hard one. Still learning to handle life stuff more like an adult.

we must all handle stuff at our own speed.

turnleftaticela
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Mar 2022, 1:31 pm

It’s comforting to know people are still working on this stuff no matter the decade of their life they’re in. I don’t feel so impossibly behind or over-before-I-started anymore. This is just how the course of our lives goes.

I’m really lucky to have the people I have in my life. My family is supportive of my autism and of anything I want to do with my life. I can’t state enough how grateful I am for that.

I feel I am rather ambitious for someone of my brain wiring — I would like to become a successful music recording artist (successful as in following my project ideas through to completion, not as in getting rich & famous), and I would also like to make a difference in the autistic and social justice world. I want to become some kind of activist someday, or at least, like, a YouTuber. Somebody who helps get the information out there to encourage acceptance across the globe. I want my struggles to mean something, y’know? And I don’t want more people to suffer the way I have. If there’s something based on my experiences that I can do to help other people, why wouldn’t I do it?

I’ve got a lot to sort out for myself first, though, like sensory issues, communication issues, living & health issues, all that stuff. And I wish I could just skip that part and focus on the stuff that’s meaningful to me. But I’m lucky enough that I’ll have time to get to it all, I think. I do have hope and believe in myself, and that’s the most important thing to me.

DoniiMann
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Mar 2022, 3:51 pm

cyberdad wrote:
DoniiMann wrote:

So your ambition is to have an ambition?

I have plenty of ambition, like a fast car spinning it's wheels. What I don't have is a target, destination, or goal.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2022, 3:52 pm

what is ambition without a goal?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2022, 4:23 pm

auntblabby wrote:
A direction instead of a destination.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2022, 4:25 pm

Double Retired wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

i suppose those of us aspies who literally stumble from one situation to another without any overarching goal, are just headed in some direction then, likely towards the exit.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2022, 5:04 pm

I prefer to think of my path choices as trying to go uphill.

It is a little more work to go in that direction but the view usually gets better.

I didn't aspire to reaching the mountain peak, just to continue up.

Sometimes I had to backtrack and try a different path, but the general goal was to make progress.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2022, 9:58 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

i suppose those of us aspies who literally stumble from one situation to another without any overarching goal, are just headed in some direction then, likely towards the exit.

Exactly with the one exception the exit ain't likely, it's gonna happen. Do the best with what you got, what more can you ask of yourself?

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 8:53 am

I have a phrase that covers this, it is a personal experience and I see it in others as well. When I think I would really like to do something, I sometimes even research it and try to prepare to do it, but I just don't have the energy, know how, financial resources, or whatever to make that happen. It is a situation of having more "want to than can do". I think it is probably a human trait and not especially tied to autism.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2022, 6:07 pm

txfz1 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Exactly with the one exception the exit ain't likely, it's gonna happen. Do the best with what you got, what more can you ask of yourself?

"Do your best" is good but "don't put all your eggs in one basket" is better

For example, the cross country coach said "do your best" about a timed mile, but, sometimes unexpected things happen that require extra energy. For example, flat tire. So it is not always to your advantage to "do your best". Besides it was just high school cross country. Not Olympic trials

You can't measure what *your best* is

Doing your best doesn't guarantee the outcome

Every situation is different

Just because you did something before, doesn't mean that you can do it again