And the derogatory stereotyping continues.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2022, 7:45 pm

From a hobby forum I'm on.
Bold added by me.

Quote:
Re: Everything wrong with Hollywood
Post by Bellerophon » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:53 am

Two hours? No thanks! But I hope it mentions characters taking up screen time talking about their feelings so the audience will know how they feel. What happened? Either it's to accommodate audiences that are too autistic to be able to understand the characters' feelings, or writers who lack the basic competence to craft a story where the audience can empathize with the characters.
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/

Location: Near Grovers Mill, NJ, just outside of heat ray range, I hope

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2022, 7:47 pm

Yep....there are idiots on the Internet. They hide under the veneer of anonymity; they are too cowardly to say this to your face. I don't bother to listen to these idiots.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2022, 5:36 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:

Bold added by me.

Quote:

Two hours? No thanks! But I hope it mentions characters taking up screen time talking about their feelings so the audience will know how they feel. What happened? Either it's to accommodate audiences that are too autistic to be able to understand the characters' feelings, or writers who lack the basic competence to craft a story where the audience can empathize with the characters.

People expecting depth from Hollywood (instead of being pleasantly surprised when it does happen) are the idiots.

(Of course, we live in a world where every superhero movie thinks it's Tolstoy.)

timf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2022, 6:37 am

People will always stereotype because it is easier.

In this case the person simply cited what he saw as reasons for the poor quality of dramatic movies.

I think he overlooked the main reason for excessive dialog and that is found in the expression "talk is cheap".

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2022, 7:07 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep....there are idiots on the Internet. They hide under the veneer of anonymity; they are too cowardly to say this to your face. I don't bother to listen to these idiots.

People eventually grow thick skin.
I did.
It upsets the bullies. :mrgreen:

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2022, 3:54 pm

I though it was a sop to the non autistic audience boring enough to be interested in all that feelings nonsense ;)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2022, 4:04 pm

Bold added by me.

Quote:

I am curious why many on this forum think it's ok to use the r-word but get upset when NTs use autism in the same context as a synonym for "slow"?

About 90% of comedians in the US use the r-word and I've seen them use autistic as a slur. Many musicians, actors use it as well.

I would like to see both the r-word iand the a-word in the dustbin of history as well

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2022, 5:19 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Bold added by me.

Quote:

I am curious why many on this forum think it's ok to use the r-word but get upset when NTs use autism in the same context as a synonym for "slow"?

About 90% of comedians in the US use the r-word and I've seen them use autistic as a slur. Many musicians, actors use it as well.

I would like to see both the r-word iand the a-word in the dustbin of history as well

I suggest people just toughen up.
There will always be bullies.
Nature of the human beast. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2022, 6:24 pm

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Bold added by me.

Quote:

I suggest people just toughen up.
There will always be bullies.
Nature of the human beast. 8)

We have no choice

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2022, 7:09 pm

It's sorta funny, as outside of subtle nonverbal cues, people with Autism will generally feel/experience/understand the emotions of others when they're displayed just fine, and sometimes more so.

A good example: someone is crying at a funeral. The person with Autism fully understands this and will comfort the individual if they aren't overwhelmed by it all because they feel it. On the opposite end, a psychopath will stand there dumbfounded and won't understand why the person is crying to begin with (they may or may not try to comfort the person because they know it's appropriate, but they don't care otherwise).

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Mar 2022, 5:37 pm

Dillogic wrote:
It's sorta funny, as outside of subtle nonverbal cues, people with Autism will generally feel/experience/understand the emotions of others when they're displayed just fine, and sometimes more so.

A good example: someone is crying at a funeral. The person with Autism fully understands this and will comfort the individual if they aren't overwhelmed by it all because they feel it. On the opposite end, a psychopath will stand there dumbfounded and won't understand why the person is crying to begin with (they may or may not try to comfort the person because they know it's appropriate, but they don't care otherwise).

Actually, psychopaths are great at "reading" social cues, facial cues, body language, which is why they're master manipulators. If you can't read people you can't manipulate them. How does one guy convince 800 people to commit suicide (Jim Jones)??? Or how about the Heaven's Gate cult leader who got 39 people to kill themselves? I can't even get three people to help me move.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2022, 9:49 pm

You misunderstand me. They can read the nonverbal cues, but they won't care for appropriate reciprocation when there's nothing to gain from it. They won't understand the point of someone grieving over another human because they won't (it's why they can do the things they do), and if they are consoling here, it'll be to gain something for themselves rather than out of genuine care.

This is the trap people fell into when they thought those with Autism lacked empathy, as they assumed the difficulty in showing things = the inability to feel things.