Decent at dancing 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Very good at moving to music and very elegant 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 30

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2022, 12:01 am

I've never danced before. :|

Do martial arts and other forms of combat training count? I'm fine there. I did well in some of these things, which is generally rare for me.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2022, 7:23 pm

From what little I know about martial arts, I think it probably does count. I had a friend (sadly, passed away some years ago) who was pretty awkward. She started doing aikido? I think it was. After some years, she showed me one of the sequences. It was like she changed into a different person. So smooth her movements, so coordinated, so beautifully moving, like a river.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2022, 4:59 am

It seems like dancing to me, yeah. Especially when it comes to forms, which are just strings of single "moves" joined together (they have various names depending on many variables); some flow, some are more rigid than others, but the same can be said for dancing too. You have a partner or partners depending on circumstances. Basically the same thing, just under a different connotation. Though in a way, there's beauty in these things (which you saw), as with everything, the intent behind it is often what matters. I guess I've done quite a few dances, and with others too. :?

As above, no problems with spatial issues here. I still don't, even with balance problems (unless I close my eyes or it's abyssal levels of darkness).

jackson_p
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Apr 2022, 5:30 am

I describe my dancing as "syncopated", but it's just really bad. It seems to take a long time for signals to go backward and forward between my limbs and brain.

It's funny because I am actually an electronic dance music producer :)

Imedatingayandere
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2022, 9:37 am

I've only danced once , I had two left feet I'd say

theidealist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Apr 2022, 11:40 am

I pity everybody that saw me dancing. I usually keep away from dancing but when I'm too drunk I go on the floor. (and also hit the walls)

EQ - 22.3
INTJ 1w9

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2022, 4:03 pm

I am a good dancer and was good at martial arts in high school (age around 12 to 16) and gymnastics in grade school (age around 8 to 12). My older brother and younger sister took classes in ballroom dancing in high school buy my social anxiety kicked in and I refused after the first day. In college i got bolder and would go with a group of friends to “Contra Dancing” events. My mom used to like old hollywood musicals and would show us steps - i picked it up well enough. Contra mixes square dancing moves with English Country Dancing. After college. My wife (then acquaintance) and I met for only the second time at a bar and restaurant with (U.S.) Western Line Dancing and Country Waltz and similar dances. They had a huge dance floor and it was a popular spot. She liked dancing with me and we took dance classes together. Classes and practice really help a lot (for anyone who wants to improve).

For me the awkwardness of dancing has always been the social aspect.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2022, 5:41 pm

Contra-dancing or Western Line Dancing are good places to start. And in those groups, many of them are highly tolerant of beginners and will take time to teach or explain or help you along.