Minimal Race, Sex Bias Identified in the ADOS-2

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2022, 5:39 pm

Physicians Weekly

Quote:
Differential item functioning (DIF) is minimal across race and sex in the Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule, Second Edition (ADOS-2), according to a study published online April 26 in JAMA Network Open.

Luther G. Kalb, Ph.D., from the Kennedy Krieger Institute in Baltimore, and colleagues conducted a cross-sectional study of children who were evaluated for autism spectrum disorder between 2014 and 2020 to examine DIF of ADOS-2 across child race and sex. Item-level biases across ADOS-2 harmonized algorithm items were examined across three modules. Data were included for 6,269 children (25.9 percent Black/African American, 50.3 percent White, and 79.4 percent male).

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2022, 7:42 pm

Wouldn't it be interesting if the subject meant the study concluded that it the ADOS-2 diagnosed Black and Female clients better than White and Male clients? That would be mind-blowing, right?

Recently some technology companies published job descriptions that were "slightly female biased" for male-dominated roles --- after decades of the opposite, I quite like that some job descriptions use the word "collaborate" twice. :P

While we are at it, somebody change the online "are you Systematic?" test. It's so male-biased my stomach clenches thinking about it - add in racism and classism -barf.

Back to topic: This study has my vote to recommend (demand) changes (even "mild" ones) that acknowledge and include the previously underrepresented.