Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 3:33 pm

How good are my typing skills?

Some people make fun of me for having English as my second language, when by brain is just different.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 3:54 pm

I don't really understand what you mean. Is English your second language? And people make fun of it?

It's hard to judge how good someone's typing skills are only based on some posts by him. If you are talking about your English literacy, I don't think it's particularly bad.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 4:31 pm

That makes sense.

I just type completely differently than most people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 4:36 pm

As for typing skills, obviously I can’t tell how well you type, unless I see you type, or you answer a post quickly with a long, accurately-typed reply.

You do okay in how you present your posts. You don’t seem intellectually “subnormal.”

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 4:56 pm

I hate when some people are grandiose and are so peaky about how well I type. It feels insulting, because I try my best to type politicly correct.

Thanks! I am sorry for a little vent, those types of people are annoying.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 5:53 pm

Some people think about "typing skills" as something like "I can type 23 words per minute" - so I cannot really tell how fast you type based on wrongplanet.net posts.

If you mean how good does your punctuation, spelling and English language skills come across on Wrongplanet.net that is a bit easier to tell.

In this case your question "how is my typing" might better be asked "how is my writing" - even though writing sometimes means "with a pen or pencil" it can also mean any way you get idea from your head into the written word - and this includes "typing" - but in this case "how is my writing" would be more correct from the point of view of common convention.

Lots of people on the Autism spectrum have trouble with idioms because the language is not "literal". If you have this challenge and also have English as a second language (which also often comes with trouble using English idioms) then the problem for you may be double, and you may have trouble making your self understood or accepted in some groups.

I spell very poorly which is odd because I read a lot and have a large vocabulary. I don't always notice when other people make spelling mistakes, but if I spell something wrong enough to make what I type "not a word" then my internet browser, or my iPhone will underline that in red. Then I either have to pick one of the options from the "list" or copy the word to google and add some more words to make it a popular phrase then google can catch the spelling mistake using AI, even if the browser cannot. If I misspell a word in such a way that it is a different but similarly spelled word then the browser cannot help me. Sometimes I look at a word I have typed and think "that looks wrong" and check onelook.com or another on-line dictionary to make sure the definition matches the word I wanted (and that I didn't stumble on another unrelated word).

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 6:15 pm

That makes sense.

I am sorry that I am very literal, I just don't really understand why the word "Writing" is correct to say when having a conversation, because I am typing not writing.

I am not trying to be defensive, it's just my social skills is not that good. I am sorry that I don't have the same agreements as you, my disagreements is a bit unusual when it comes to people explaining to me that this or that is an and ideam, joke, sarcasm and deception.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 6:40 pm

It's kind of ironic when I don't get accepted to some of this groups, because they pronounce, and makes a lot of grammar mistakes. They should look at the mirror before judging others. That is what makes me frustrated. I should be more clear about my frustration. I am sorry that I wasn't clear.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 6:44 pm

FranzOren, I accept you. I say you are welcome here.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 6:52 pm

It's not that, I have been in toxic groups that literally judges how I pronounce words and grammar, when they make spelling and grammar mistakes themselves.

But, thank you! But my concerns is how people judge how you pronounce words and grammar in a very rude, haughty, arragont and megalomaniac way.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 7:07 pm

^ I agree, some people are like that. I wish that they would not be like that.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 7:19 pm

I agree.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 9:18 pm

FranzOren wrote:
That makes sense.

I am sorry that I am very literal, I just don't really understand why the word "Writing" is correct to say when having a conversation, because I am typing not writing.

I am not trying to be defensive, it's just my social skills is not that good. I am sorry that I don't have the same agreements as you, my disagreements is a bit unusual when it comes to people explaining to me that this or that is an and ideam, joke, sarcasm and deception.

An author who creates a big book, or play, is a "writer". Like Stephen King, Shakespeare. Ann Rice, Hemingway, whatever. Shakespeare and Dickens used pens. Twentieth Century authors typically used typewriters, twenty first century authors used typing keyboards with computer word processing aps like you and I are using now on WP. But regardless of the technology of the times they lived in they are all still called "writers".

A person who takes dictation- while you speak- and they physically type what you're saying while you say it- is a "typist", or a "stenographer".

If you can type fifty words a minute without making physical slip ups on the key board- then you are "good typist". And are said to be "good at typing". But not necessarily a "good writer".

If you compose text well (your sentences make sense, use proper grammar, etc) then you're "good at writing".

See the difference?

Your "writing" (the way you put sentences together) seems fine to me. Better than I could write in Spanish (the only foreign language that have any skill in at all).

But I would have to stand over you in person with a stop watch (and then subtract points from you for every typing error you made) to judge how good a "typist" you are.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2022, 9:21 pm

That makes sense. I just had deal with people who have delusion of granduer, correcting the way I pronounce words and use grammar, when they make worse grammar and spelling mistakes than me.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2022, 2:55 am

Now I understand what you mean after reading more posts.

Quite often those that criticize others are those that make mistakes themselves. They are very confident for no reason. Or possibly they are insecure and have to put others down to feel superior. That's what happens at my work. There's a guy who is intelligent but his English is not perfect because he is an immigrant. Some are making fun of his grammar and pronunciation. However, from my point of view, this guy is more intelligent and he speaks another language (his first language) and those who criticize him are uneducated and only speak English. I feel really embarrassed for those that criticize him because they are actually inferior to this guy that they make fun of. It's very frustrating that they have this false sense of superiority simply because English is their first language.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2022, 3:05 am

I agree. Thank you!