Anyone else really bothered by TikTok ASD portrayals?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Are TikTok portrayals of ASD/ADHD damaging?
Yes 33%  33%  [ 7 ]
No 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Maybe 19%  19%  [ 4 ]
I dont know 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
Can you repeat the question 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 21

What_in_the_what_now
Raven
Raven

16 Feb 2024, 11:49 am

I find these increasingly aggravating. In the attempt to reduce stigma and stereotyped there's self diagnosed and self appointed experts discussing the ins and outs of their lives and if that resonates maybe you too have autism.

I think that's so dangerous.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 11:50 am

TikTok is a really terrible platform.

So I don't visit that website, and thus cannot be annoyed by it.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 11:51 am

SickTok is making human brains go smooth.

What_in_the_what_now
Raven
Raven

16 Feb 2024, 12:00 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
TikTok is a really terrible platform.

So I don't visit that website, and thus cannot be annoyed by it.

I think thats very sensible, unfortunately I get too tempted as I work with adolescents that are often quoting it. So I think that cant be what they are being told. Lo and behold. ASD is now like a horoscope out of tabloid newspaper.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 3:34 pm

Only heard of it.

Never paid too much attention.
Never owned a TikTok account. Unless business tells me to -- otherwise, I'm not a regular user or content consumer of TikTok.

Nonetheless.
I'm more than used to the fact that nothing resonates with me.

So why so many people are, whether or not they're autistic?
Again, with the common circumstances of those with social anxiety and anxiety issues all over again.

The pattern did not changed a bit.
But the audience sure did.

I'd rather ask what this means for the users and the populace involved than about autism's portrayal, perception and whatever associations as a label.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 3:40 pm

I'm getting very tired of those portrayals. Those people need to get hobbies.

What_in_the_what_now
Raven
Raven

16 Feb 2024, 8:29 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
Only heard of it.

Never owned a TikTok account. Unless business tells me to -- otherwise, I'm not a regular user or content consumer of TikTok.

Nonetheless.

Again, with the common circumstances of those with social anxiety and anxiety issues all over again.

I'd rather ask what this means for the users and the populace involved than about autism's portrayal, perception and whatever associations as a label.

Could you elaborate on the latter?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 3:58 am

What_in_the_what_now wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
Only heard of it.

Nonetheless.

Could you elaborate on the latter?

Why the current users relate to such idea of autism or ADHD?
Why the current users think that's what autism or ADHD is?
Why the current users want others to think of the idea of what autism or ADHD is?
Then ask the first question back...

Each platform as a bubble of their own, a web of groups and communities, connected to whatever tags they're in common with.

Are they aware of the advocacy's battle against dehumanization and infantilization?
Are they aware of struggling meds supplies shortages?

Or are they just one of the many individuals who just had enough with the NT populations making them feel out of place and not much beyond that?

At least more are getting aware of certain generational patterns. But how about the collective patterns? Who knows?
How about advocacy work? Who knows? Could be the ratio of advocates vs personal users are 1 to 25 -- that's a guess.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 4:44 am

I'm always more worried by the people who immediately dismiss such people as fakers more than the alleged fakers themselves.

I have no time for people who want to portray anyone who's self-diagnosed as obviously faking because the bulk of people who go on to be late, but professionally diagnosed were first self-diagnosed. As long as there a significant number of undiagnosed people out there and inadequate resources to get them all diagnosed I think attacking people for faking on the basis of self-diagnosis is idiotic.

I'm not sure those sorts of people actually even care if the person has a professional diagnosis, I'm sure many of them would keep dismissing the tiktoker as self-diagnosed and a faker even if they literally showed their report that includes the diagnosis.

I don't see any danger with people who strongly relate to the traits associated with autism considering if they might have autism. That seems like how someone who's undiagnosed might first encounter the idea that they're actually one of us and not just stupid, lazy, difficult, etc.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Dylan the autist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Feb 2024, 10:30 am

What_in_the_what_now wrote:
I find these increasingly aggravating. In the attempt to reduce stigma and stereotyped there's self diagnosed and self appointed experts discussing the ins and outs of their lives and if that resonates maybe you too have autism.

I think that's so dangerous.

Yeah I’m increasingly disturbed by the idea that autism is this costume you can wear or identify with Willy-nilly, I think it arose around the same time young people mass identified with depression or anxiety and also as non-binary and/or trans, I think in a charitable way there are people who are genuinely seeking a descriptor of their identity to better recognise themselves but I also think there’s a bit of narcissism a wanting to categorise themselves in a plethora of ways for the satisfaction of being ‘other’ in some way.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 10:24 pm

I'm honestly pretty active on tiktok and don't have a terrible lot of problem with the ND videos I see. Maybe it's because I engage mostly with videos that are simply about the relatable (to other ND ppl) aspects of being ND, as opposed to videos that are there for education. But very few of the videos I've come across are actually wrong.

I also don't find the posting about being neurodivergent to be very different from what I do over on tumblr. The only reason I stopped doing it on tiktok is because my boss and people who actually know me in person kept finding my tiktoks.

Frankly, I do enjoy being "different". I also have a professional diagnosis. I also was terrified of being a "fake" neurodivergent to the point it was an OCD theme. I didn't really solidly accept my autism until I was professionally diagnosed.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

JamesW
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Feb 2024, 3:03 am

There's a lot of similar on Mastodon, but it isn't nearly so annoying. That may be because on Mastodon you can't fish for 'likes'.

There is a God.

cattunnel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Feb 2024, 1:15 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I'm always more worried by the people who immediately dismiss such people as fakers more than the alleged fakers themselves.

I have no time for people who want to portray anyone who's self-diagnosed as obviously faking because the bulk of people who go on to be late, but professionally diagnosed were first self-diagnosed.

This is not true, though. I didn't "self diagnose" when I asked to be assessed for autism. I just asked to be assessed for autism to see if I had it, no need for any label. I would never, EVER, have portrayed myself as an expert before diagnosis the way the TikTok accounts OP is discussing do. I wouldn't do that now that I am diagnosed either because being diagnosed with a condition doesn't actually make you an expert on it.

I joined this forum because every single other place I can find online relating to Asperger's is overrun with self diagnosed people who don't know what they're talking about.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 1:46 pm

Hmm...
If I were try to deduce where such portrayal came from, I might guess it came from whatever fandom community -- and portrayed in a certain archetype no less.

Most of which comprises of teenagers and young adults.
The archetype itself is likely a generational thing.

Autism or no autism -- they just want to know "who they are".
It's a situation different from seniors and really late diagnosed cases who all wondered all their lives if they're the only ones instead of being in a state of 'finding their peers and where they belong'; but many seem to not know the distinction.

Again, highly likely personal users who passes around memes and viral stuff -- not advocates who educates such topics.

I myself am not worried about whatever portrayals they show themselves as.

And I could care less if they're being 'tricked' into thinking they're ND and not simply a struggling NT who cannot fit in and wanting to be special -- could care less if they dye their hair and self mutilate or scream supremacy on the roof tops and disrupt whatever livelihood they're rejected out of by not learning how to read.

Autism, ADHD, even neurodiversity itself are but one of the many things that are being upswept by a tide of collective realizations. :shrug:

And I'm waaaaay past the phase of questioning myself whether or not I'm autistic since 15.
Far from the insecurities as to when not to mask; or the fear of someone ever questioning or discovering it.

I might be at it, too, if I were 15 today instead of a decade ago. Just less portrayals and more 'feeling relate' -- and might even be a reason to survive...

Last edited by Edna3362 on 18 Feb 2024, 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 1:49 pm

cattunnel wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I have no time for people who want to portray anyone who's self-diagnosed as obviously faking because the bulk of people who go on to be late, but professionally diagnosed were first self-diagnosed.

This is not true, though. I didn't "self diagnose" when I asked to be assessed for autism. I just asked to be assessed for autism to see if I had it, no need for any label. I would never, EVER, have portrayed myself as an expert before diagnosis the way the TikTok accounts OP is discussing do. I wouldn't do that now that I am diagnosed either because being diagnosed with a condition doesn't actually make you an expert on it.

I joined this forum because every single other place I can find online relating to Asperger's is overrun with self diagnosed people who don't know what they're talking about.

So you didn't pursue professional diagnosis after coming to the conclusion that you had strong reason to suspect a positive diagnosis would be confirmed? :scratch:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 2:16 pm

Not everyone can afford a diagnosis, and there are very good reasons to not get diagnosed as well.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD