Is it good or bad when people tell you their Asperger/

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Technic1
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jul 2022, 3:32 am

Is it good or bad when people tell you their Asperger/autistic or people find out?

What is the good and bad side of being known about?

Meaning [b]in your life[/b] but also Elo Musk, Bill Gates ect.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 6:37 am

The term Asperger (or now ASD) carries with it so little understanding that rather than clarity it often contributes confusion. I prefer that if i need to mention something, it is specific to a particular issue like touch sensitivity, peripheral inattention due to focus, or excessive enthusiasm for a particular topic.

I find this more relevant to a social dynamic and doesn't lead to as many misunderstandings.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 7:16 am

Autism is such a misleading word to name a whole diverse spectrum, and I wish Asperger's could be renamed as "extreme anxiety disorder", because that's basically what it is in my case anyway. Autism means selfism, which doesn't describe everyone on the spectrum, it only describes the non-verbal types that live in their own world and lack the ability to communicate verbally and non-verbally.

Nic na Mara
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2022, 7:46 am

My experience is that some NT's can bring more understanding and respect my sacred space and time to myself, if I have the opportunity to explain a little bit about ASD. It's difficult to describe in concise words (short and simple), what ASD means in everyday life and not everyone wants to understand and respect it. In any case, I make a new decision whether to tell them that I'm an Aspie, because it depends on how tolerant and open the people are you deal with.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 9:10 am

Technic1 wrote:
Is it good or bad when people tell you their Asperger/autistic or people find out?

I don't mind

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 9:11 am

Joe90 wrote:
Autism is such a misleading word to name a whole diverse spectrum, and I wish Asperger's could be renamed as "extreme anxiety disorder", because that's basically what it is in my case anyway. Autism means selfism, which doesn't describe everyone on the spectrum, it only describes the non-verbal types that live in their own world and lack the ability to communicate verbally and non-verbally.

no its not anxiety sweetie

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 9:13 am

Joe90 wrote:

no autism meAns they live in their own world, in their head....its not the same as selfish

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 9:15 am

lack of social need is not selfisim

you can still care about people and not need social relationships

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 9:18 am

I am unusual as I don't find humans like me often

you are OK Joe, you are not not autistic

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 10:28 am

Earthbound_Alien wrote:
lack of social need is not selfisim

you can still care about people and not need social relationships

Which is why I dislike the word autism. It literally means self.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 10:32 am

That was the original intent of Kanner----to document a condition where people live in their own world, and have very little interaction, or desire for interaction, for most entities in their environment other than themselves.

This was precisely where I "was" until I was 5 years old.

Autism has undergone a dramatic broadening of the criteria since the 1980s.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 10:45 am

Quote:

I wish it hadn't though. I wish it stayed the same. Then I wouldn't be 'autistic'. I'd be something that probably specifies who I am more. ADHD is a good label, although it's a shame it's not named after a person, but the actual name of the disorder describes me; I'm disordered in attention and I'm hyperactive (which also includes racing thoughts and emotions and the need to express them), and although impulsivity isn't in the title I have that too.

Sometimes I feel Asperger's isn't autism at all, and I'm not invalidating those that are mild/high-functioning, I'm just saying that it ought to be a different disorder to autism. From what I have read, and seen on autism documentaries, and have seen in mild/HF Aspies (or possible Aspies) I've met in real life, it seems that HF/mild/Asperger's/whatever you like to call it is more like a mixture of social anxiety, general anxiety and depression, and from a young age they seem able to talk in the right tone of voice and present the correct facial expressions and even make friends with their NT peers.

The autism spectrum is becoming so broad these days that it might as well include everybody.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 10:53 am

To me, there are some Aspergians who exhibit overt signs of being autistic----but their autism is relatively mild, usually but not always.

There are also "high-functioning" autistic people who are not Aspergian. They are certainly autistic, though. They learn to interact with the world, though it might take time. They exhibit at least some of the "classic" signs, though.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 1:04 pm

Technic1 wrote:

It all depends on where you live and whom you tell.

Wreck It Ralph

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 12:41 am

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:

I wish it hadn't though. I wish it stayed the same. Then I wouldn't be 'autistic'. I'd be something that probably specifies who I am more. ADHD is a good label, although it's a shame it's not named after a person, but the actual name of the disorder describes me; I'm disordered in attention and I'm hyperactive (which also includes racing thoughts and emotions and the need to express them), and although impulsivity isn't in the title I have that too.

Sometimes I feel Asperger's isn't autism at all, and I'm not invalidating those that are mild/high-functioning, I'm just saying that it ought to be a different disorder to autism. From what I have read, and seen on autism documentaries, and have seen in mild/HF Aspies (or possible Aspies) I've met in real life, it seems that HF/mild/Asperger's/whatever you like to call it is more like a mixture of social anxiety, general anxiety and depression, and from a young age they seem able to talk in the right tone of voice and present the correct facial expressions and even make friends with their NT peers.

The autism spectrum is becoming so broad these days that it might as well include everybody.

incorrect

its not. an anxiety disorder

its I'm not allowed to be myself because I have to pay too much attention to you and give up what I love dis f*****g order

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 2:06 am

personally I would say autism is a combination of learning disorders, sensory issues and a low social drive.

ants need far more social interaction.

I learn socially slowly

I have a l8w social drive

I was developmentally different...beind in some ways but in front in others