For those with a quick succession of obsessions

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 6:57 am

Currently I seem to get day to week long obsessions, I thought I may start listing them weekly to see a pattern, does anyone else get these short lived fixations that "drop-off"?
This last week:
R.Crumb and Sophie Crumb
Carice Van Houten
Drawing Pencils
Natural anti fungal agents
Modernist furniture
Clint Eastwood

BenJ
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2007, 7:12 am

Yeah i have been like that for years... My obsessions are nearly always very short lived.

natty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2007, 7:53 am

Mine are like that , i hate it , i see other aspies who are really dedicated to there obsessions and know so much information and are veritable experts on there chosen subjects. im not like that at all, if something interests me quite often its for a day and i will sit endlessly at the computer searching and searching for information and then the next day i have little or no interest in that same subject. I find it really dissapointing as id love to be the font of all knowledge on one subject at least even if it is a very precise thing. My obsessions seem to be confined to my head for weeks or months but sont come out in a practical sense . i call them fascinations rather than obsessions , because to me an obsession denotes actively questing after something at all costs , where as a fascination doesnt imply that you have any great volume of knowledge about the subject its just something that intrigues you. for example for a while now i have been fascinated by honey bees and hexagons , however i will never own my own active hive and i do not understand the technical geomotry type things about hexagons. I would however love to have even an empty hive and as many examples of hexagons as possible as well as a collection of bee things.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 8:54 am

Many of my interests are long-standing, but I get the short term ones, too. I will find myself looking up subjects of interest that I heard about on television or briefly fall back on an old interest.

Doc_Daneeka
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Aug 2007, 9:23 am

I seem to have one tremendous obsession that's been with me for about 15 years now. Aside from that, I often get mini obsessions that go on for a few days, a week, a month, and then just vanish. I'm currently trying to decide whether ASD/AS is one of those mini obsessions or not. It's been going on for over a month, and it has actually caused me to miss the last five episodes of 'The Skeptic's Guide To The Universe" without feeling any loss. That is...er...unprecedented.

Not that anyone cares, but here are the last few mini obsessions before ASD/AS took over:
Penn Jillette (though this relates somewhat to my major obsession)
Medieval cuisine
Welsh (It would have been nice had that continued, as it's a fascinating language)
Ants
modding my cell phone

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 10:18 am

Me, too! Me, too! A few things have been fairly constant, like spending hours at a time looking at homes for sale online and spending hours looking at clothes and some other various items on ebay and looking up medical info. Those obsessions have been going on for years. I have enough clothes and books to start my own thrift store if I wanted to. I hoard.

But day in and day out, I have what someone else coined "mini obsessions". I attribute it my being ADHD. Are any of you ADHD/ADD, too?

One obsession might last one or two days. Another obsession might last a week or two. Some for a few months. And I *always* have many going on at the same time which vary in intensity. Like I might spend 3 hours one day looking at homes, and one hour that same day looking at clothes on ebay. The next day I might spend 8 hours looking at clothes and 4 hours looking at homes. Or vice versa. And in between doing that, I have my many tabs open on firefox where I'm reading and participating in threads here on wrongplanet.net constantly, and I'm on youtube looking at hundreds of videos, and I'm 'googling' myself to death looking up medical information. That is just an example of a typical day for me.

Last edited by ChatBrat on 06 Aug 2007, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roseduelist
Raven
Raven

06 Aug 2007, 10:19 am

Some were shorter/longer than others...

EatingPoetry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2007, 11:28 am

ChatBrat wrote:
Me, too! Me, too! A few things have been fairly constant, like spending hours at a time looking at homes for sale online and spending hours looking at clothes and some other various items on ebay. Those obsessions have been going on for years. I have enough clothes and books to start my own thrift store if I wanted to. I hoard.

Shucks, I'm always on ebay looking at every single page of whatever thing has struck my fancy. For years it's been clothes (mostly shirts), high top basketball shoes, and lately bicycles. Also did a stint with electric guitars. I've always got a window or two open on my computer at work.

I'm also obsessing with this AS thing right now, and reading and replying on WP. Don't know how long that might last.

If I see a really good movie, I'll obsess about it and an actor/actress in it, googling it endlessly for a day to a week.

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 2:35 pm

Yes I think I may have a touch of ADD too!
Oh yes just remembered some more from last week:
Running shoes
Cotton bed sheets
Food allergy

Crikey if I'd been a traditional Aspie I could have persevered and been an architect, biologist or writer be nows!!

And today its vintage raleigh bicycles...

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 2:46 pm

For those with ebay obsessions, we should start a club where we can talk about our daily finds and obsessions. I remember when I was obsessed with finding all of my childhood toys/dolls. I spent many hours a day for months just looking at all the auctions for those.

out of control, & at times
hard to handle.
But if you can't handle
me at my worst,
then you sure as hell
don't deserve me
at my best.
-Marilyn Monroe

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 3:00 pm

Yes, I have had long term, but lately, it is almost all short term obsessions. Currently Sudoku and crosswords, tho I have been obsessed with those in the past too.
And I hoard badly. I will latch onto something, and keep buying it.
I must have amassed about 15 pairs of leggings lol
and endless crossword and sudoku books
And now I have started on Cacti.

natty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Aug 2007, 3:18 pm

OMG Graelwyn you just reminded me , when I was a kid I collected cacti, I had dozens all over the place I loved them to bits , I find the appearance of them amazing , have you got those living rocks ones ? they are very cool. oh no now I want a cactus and I dont have any space in this house :( cacti are really addictive.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 3:41 pm

[quote="EatingPoetry"][quote="ChatBrat"]I'm also obsessing with this AS thing right now, and reading and replying on WP. Don't know how long that might last.

[quote]

i'm actually in the midst of that very thing right now :)

EatingPoetry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2007, 5:18 pm

ChatBrat wrote:
For those with ebay obsessions, we should start a club where we can talk about our daily finds and obsessions. I remember when I was obsessed with finding all of my childhood toys/dolls. I spent many hours a day for months just looking at all the auctions for those.

That's a cool idea. I loves me ebay finds! It'd be fun to talk to others about it. :)

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 5:32 pm

natty wrote:
OMG Graelwyn you just reminded me , when I was a kid I collected cacti, I had dozens all over the place I loved them to bits , I find the appearance of them amazing , have you got those living rocks ones ? they are very cool. oh no now I want a cactus and I dont have any space in this house :( cacti are really addictive.

Ooooh, living rock ones? Now you have me interested more, lol.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2007, 5:36 pm

what are leggings