Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jun 2022, 3:58 am

I am an overthinker who's been overthinking about weaknesses and strenghts.
Many people say that weak central coherence theory is bad. It basically says that we are weak people. We do not really have strenght.
Are we weak or are we just different?
Does the weak central coherence theory only focus on our weaknesses?
Some talk about us being systemizers. It sounds more postive. It says that we have a strength.
I am not sure that all people on the spectrum are the same. It's not like: either all on the spectrum are systemizers or non are!

Should we really focus on weaknesses rather than us being different?
My thinking is that some people with ASD are systemizers and aome people with NT are.

The big problem here is to define what systemizing refers to!

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 10:26 am

I would say it's a difference. In some situations (quick) it's a difficulty and in other situations (quality) it's a strength.

My therapist says I focus on parts (what studies currently call "weak central coherence theory") and then when I get to the whole ---which I do eventually---, I can do amazing things (I can see it inside and out). I remember as a child trying to learn a dance routine and it seemed like everyone else picked it up quickly, but I suppose I wanted to get each part right. So it took me longer to get it, but when I finally did, I was really good, while they were average. Teasing: Perhaps "weak central coherence theory" means some of us don't half-arse things. :wink:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 2:24 pm

In my opinion, most people (NTs) have strengths or weaknesses in various fields or capabilities. Some people are better at sports. Some people are better at science. Some people are good cooks. But most people are not good at ALL THINGS. Thus strengths and weaknesses.

In the case of Aspies (but not all), also have strengths and weaknesses but to a much larger extent. Some Aspies have ++ strengths and -- weaknesses. And some Aspies are almost off the wall with +++++ and -----.

The key to success is using your strengths to overcome your weaknesses.

I will give an example. When I was going through college I was forced to take a foreign language. This was my worse class. I am very poor in this area. Because I took classes in Spanish, and French in high school, I decided to try a different one. I picked Russian. During the first week of class, a different professor entered the classroom and made an interesting offer. He said I am beginning a new type of class called intensive Russian. Anyone who signs up to this class, I will guarantee an automatic minimum of a B grade for participating.

My hand was raised so quickly in the air, it might have created a windstorm.

So in this case MY WEAKNESS IN FOREIGN LANGUAGE was offset by MY STRENGTH THE ABILITY TO RECOGNIZE A BARGAIN when it comes out of thin air and act upon it.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2022, 4:47 pm

jimmy m wrote:
...He said I am beginning a new type of class called intensive Russian. Anyone who signs up to this class, I will guarantee an automatic minimum of a B grade for participating.

My hand was raised so quickly in the air, it might have created a windstorm.

LOL. Did you get a B?

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jun 2022, 5:05 am

SharonB wrote:
I would say it's a difference. In some situations (quick) it's a difficulty and in other situations (quality) it's a strength.

My therapist says I focus on parts (what studies currently call "weak central coherence theory") and then when I get to the whole ---which I do eventually---, I can do amazing things (I can see it inside and out). I remember as a child trying to learn a dance routine and it seemed like everyone else picked it up quickly, but I suppose I wanted to get each part right. So it took me longer to get it, but when I finally did, I was really good, while they were average. Teasing: Perhaps "weak central coherence theory" means some of us don't half-arse things. :wink:

It sounds like you just described me. 8)
What I thinknis going is that people dance in order to have a little fun. They don't really care if they're good or not. It is more of a social thing. It makes things difficult for us who dance or do something else and care about the results.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2022, 10:28 am

Whether or not the overall ASD brain wiring is a strength or a weakness depends on the task and the individual. I'm good at tasks that require meticulous care and attention to detail as long as the goal is clear and I can see how it might be possible to do the task. I also work best when time isn't in short supply, and I can perform worse if become too aware that failing may be a very bad thing, though I've often been known to be useful in a crisis.

jared11235
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jun 2022, 11:36 am

If you understanding what you are good at and what those around you are good at then your differences can be a big strength. I'm a software engineer and I've been told many times that I overthink my software designs. I have always appreciated the feedback when others suggest "why don't you just do it like this, or that". It allows me to see where the design can be simplified while not loosing my original intent. When reviewing the designs from other engineers, my overthinking has allowed me to provide feedback to help overcome pitfalls that they didn't realize where there. You just need an employer that values this type of diversity.

H_Taterz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Jun 2022, 12:28 pm

If you have some time, DM me. I want to study and go into software development as a noob, but I'm feeling lost - like I don't know where to start at this age. I worked in the government for 20 years (last 10 years in human service) and finally hit burn-out stage.

I'm a top-down thinker. I see the big picture first and then try to figure out how all the parts fit into it or work together. I score in the 99th percentile on form and clerical perception aptitude testing, and 90th percentile in spatial and general aptitude... which might be TMI but I've been told it fits in with software development and/or web design. ???

I don't feel smart and I'm lacking motivation. I'd love to have a mentor or someone with experience help me understand it all. Hit me up if you have the time!

jared11235 wrote:
If you understanding what you are good at and what those around you are good at then your differences can be a big strength. I'm a software engineer and I've been told many times that I overthink my software designs. I have always appreciated the feedback when others suggest "why don't you just do it like this, or that". It allows me to see where the design can be simplified while not loosing my original intent. When reviewing the designs from other engineers, my overthinking has allowed me to provide feedback to help overcome pitfalls that they didn't realize where there. You just need an employer that values this type of diversity.

jared11235
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jun 2022, 6:26 pm

H_Taterz wrote:
If you have some time, DM me.

I sent you a message, or at least I think I did. I've never sent a DM before.

H_Taterz

13 Jun 2022, 8:13 pm

Got it, and it was awesome! I just replied. Thanks!! !

jared11235 wrote:
H_Taterz wrote:
If you have some time, DM me.

I sent you a message, or at least I think I did. I've never sent a DM before.