Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

hollowmoon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jun 2022, 2:40 pm

Hello,
Thought I’d share. I’ve been taking turmeric capsules with probiotics for a few years now. I’ve noticed a huge difference in nvld symptoms. Thought I’d share.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 2:44 pm

Has your physician confirmed your observations?

hollowmoon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jun 2022, 3:11 pm

Fnord wrote:
Has your physician confirmed your observations?

Nope. Just thought I’d share. I’m no doctor and turmeric isn’t medicine- it’s a natural spice you can find at any grocery store.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 3:18 pm

That makes sense , thanks for sharing.

Turmeric stops inflammation, I suspect a lot of negative mental states like anxiety are due to inflammation. There are other steps to take to avoid it. I did paleo for a while which I think helped a lot, its just a difficult diet to stick to.,

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 3:47 pm

Turmeric and curcumin have been studied in numerous clinical trials for various human diseases and conditions, with no high-quality evidence of any anti-disease effect or health benefit. There is no scientific evidence that curcumin reduces inflammation, as of 2020.

Any relief you may perceive is most likely due to the placebo effect.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 11:54 am

I don't believe in that alternative remedy pseudoscience, so therefore it would never work on me. Even real medicine rarely works on me because I have no belief that it will, all I feel are the side effects.

When people think an alternative remedy works, it's usually the placebo effect, or because their body healed itself naturally. Kind of like that joke about a guy who took a quack cure for a common cold, and claimed it worked because in only 7-10 days, he was better.

Alternative medicine can be dangerous. People think that just because it's natural that it's safe, but there are many plants and fungi that can really poison and kill a person, so nope.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2022, 12:04 pm

Turmeric and curcumin have a variety of interesting biological activities, but they are challenging to study because curcumin is unstable (it easily changes into other substances) and has low bioavailability (not much of it reaches the bloodstream) when it is taken orally.  In addition, curcumin products may differ in composition or contain more substances than expected, which makes the results of research on these products difficult to understand and compare.  Because the actions of turmeric and its components in people are complex and not well understood, no clear conclusions have been reached about whether these substances have benefits for health conditions.

Source: This
 National Center for Complementary & Integrative Health  Article.