ASD adults and aggression - thoughts?

Page 3 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 5:23 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
skibum wrote:
But to write an article that implies that all, or the majority of the Aspergian community is like this, is absolutely unacceptable. This is what I am saying.

If that's the impression it left you with, I can understand that it's troubling. I just don't share that impression.
I appreciate and respect that. :heart:

Wreck It Ralph

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 5:28 pm

skibum wrote:

I mean it, especially because I've spent my life learning to never view things that way unless I can't find a way not to, I might legitimately be desensitized.

Also, in case this hadn't been added:

Quote:
I think overall we're probably not far off from the general idea that how aggression among autistics right now is dealt with hurts everyone involved (both adults and kids with autism and the caregivers whether pros or family) and improvements are needed.

I went through cycles of becoming deeply inhibited towards expressing aggression only to finally be placed in situations where no other option existed (repeatedly).

I'd like to keep as few of us from occupying either of those extremes as possible, but also, for those who's temperament is passive but still have moments of hyper-aggression, I'd imagine the help also means they'll have less guilt and regrets over actions that occurred during meltdowns or similar states.

As hard as that sort of guilt can be to deal with an a fairly aggressive person, I can imagine people who's temperament is far less aggressive would have a harder time of it.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 5:39 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
skibum wrote:

I mean it, especially because I've spent my life learning to never view things that way unless I can't find a way not to, I might legitimately be desensitized.

Also, in case this hadn't been added:

Quote:
I think overall we're probably not far off from the general idea that how aggression among autistics right now is dealt with hurts everyone involved (both adults and kids with autism and the caregivers whether pros or family) and improvements are needed.

I went through cycles of becoming deeply inhibited towards expressing aggression only to finally be placed in situations where no other option existed (repeatedly).

I'd like to keep as few of us from occupying either of those extremes as possible, but also, for those who's temperament is passive but still have moments of hyper-aggression, I'd imagine the help also means they'll have less guilt and regrets over actions that occurred during meltdowns or similar states.

As hard as that sort of guilt can be to deal with an a fairly aggressive person, I can imagine people who's temperament is far less aggressive would have a harder time of it.
Yes. I know that you mean it. I completely respect your perspective.

I can speak for myself. The emotional and psychological torture that I live every single day because I am not aggressive in nature is actually making me have neurological deterioration to the point now where my therapists and doctors are concerned about how much longer I can stay alive under this kind of pressure. So I understand exactly what you mean. Unless I remain in complete social isolation, almost every single day of my life I have at least one interaction where I am being psychologically, emotionally, or neurologically pushed beyond what I can bear. Some people, including every single nt that I know, would lash out aggressively if pushed to that limit. But I am not capable of aggressive behavior even if it is in self defense. I would be like a toddler trying to fight off a large and strong man. So I end up internalizing everything and sometimes the aggression becomes self inflicted because it's the only option left. The energy has to be released somehow even if the target has to be the victim. So I do understand the concept very well.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 6:04 pm

Great and encouraging update!!

I just got a call back from the author of the article. He actually feels terrible. He had no intention at all of having that article imply that he thinks that all or that the majority of Aspergian people are the way that the article describes. He is actually a very nice and humble person who really thinks very highly of the Autistic community and really wants to help. So I apologize for my initial reaction to his article and website as well. I am now genuinely convinced that he just made some poor errors in judgment that caused his choices of words and how he designed his website to give a wrong impression. I am so happy that he called and that we were able to talk. He will be calling me again and I am really looking forward to having a great relationship with him where we can discuss the challenges that we have as a community and together work towards solutions that help us all.

I am so happy to have been proved wrong in my initial impression. Sometimes that's the best feeling. :D

Wreck It Ralph

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 6:46 pm

That's great news, skibum! Good on you for reaching out to advocate. I hadn't noticed he was an ASD psych. It would be great if he could tune in to WP, or people from the SF area could access his contact info for assessments.

If he wants more input from other people feel free to give him my email which I can PM to you.

Well done!! !!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 7:04 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
That's great news, skibum! Good on you for reaching out to advocate. I hadn't noticed he was an ASD psych. It would be great if he could tune in to WP, or people from the SF area could access his contact info for assessments.

If he wants more input from other people feel free to give him my email which I can PM to you.

Well done!! ! !
Thank you. Please do send your email. I would love to keep in touch with you that way anyway. He said he is not sure when he will call back because of his schedule but he said it will be soon. I will definitely ask him about putting his contact info here.

Wreck It Ralph

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 7:37 pm

Quote:
Joe, I am not saying that your aunt is a bad person or that she is intentionally hurting her son. But there is something going on in the dynamic or the relationship which is very painful to him

Where have you got this from? :scratch:

(Just wondering, maybe I'd posted about this somewhere else but can't remember doing so).

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 7:49 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Quote:
Joe, I am not saying that your aunt is a bad person or that she is intentionally hurting her son. But there is something going on in the dynamic or the relationship which is very painful to him

(Just wondering, maybe I'd posted about this somewhere else but can't remember doing so).
Oh goodness, I am sorry, I made a mistake. It was another person who posted about her aunt's situation earlier in this thread. The other person's post was right after yours. so I accidentally thought it was yours. So sorry for that! I should have addressed this to the other poster, not you. Forgive me. That was my error.

Wreck It Ralph

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 12:16 am

skibum wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Quote:

Oh goodness, I am sorry, I made a mistake. It was another person who posted about her aunt's situation earlier in this thread. The other person's post was right after yours. so I accidentally thought it was yours. So sorry for that! I should have addressed this to the other poster, not you. Forgive me. That was my error.

It's OK, I was just confused, that's all. :)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 2:17 am

skibum wrote:
I can speak for myself. The emotional and psychological torture that I live every single day because I am not aggressive in nature is actually making me have neurological deterioration to the point now where my therapists and doctors are concerned about how much longer I can stay alive under this kind of pressure. So I understand exactly what you mean. Unless I remain in complete social isolation, almost every single day of my life I have at least one interaction where I am being psychologically, emotionally, or neurologically pushed beyond what I can bear. Some people, including every single nt that I know, would lash out aggressively if pushed to that limit. But I am not capable of aggressive behavior even if it is in self defense. I would be like a toddler trying to fight off a large and strong man. So I end up internalizing everything and sometimes the aggression becomes self inflicted because it's the only option left. The energy has to be released somehow even if the target has to be the victim. So I do understand the concept very well.

In some ways I can relate because the stress of never letting it out is overwhelming even if the fear of slipping for just an instant in the wrong circumstance is a strong motivator to continue dealing with that stress.

I've self-harmed in response to having to internalize those feelings. I've self-harmed by releasing those feelings on inanimate objects to avoid taking them out on people who probably deserved to be on the receiving end, as well as to avoid doing so to people who didn't.

It's also caused harm in other ways even if thankfully it hasn't lead to legal problems yet.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 5:21 am

skibum wrote:

I just got a call back from the author of the article. He actually feels terrible. He had no intention at all of having that article imply that he thinks that all or that the majority of Aspergian people are the way that the article describes. He is actually a very nice and humble person who really thinks very highly of the Autistic community and really wants to help. So I apologize for my initial reaction to his article and website as well. I am now genuinely convinced that he just made some poor errors in judgment that caused his choices of words and how he designed his website to give a wrong impression. I am so happy that he called and that we were able to talk. He will be calling me again and I am really looking forward to having a great relationship with him where we can discuss the challenges that we have as a community and together work towards solutions that help us all.

I am so happy to have been proved wrong in my initial impression. Sometimes that's the best feeling. :D

Hi. Just curious if he is going to officially acknowledge what you pointed out and maybe rewrite his article so that there will be no more misunderstandings. Even if he didn't intend to depict autistic people negatively, it could still do harm if the article remains unchanged.

I should thank you for proactively contacting the author of the article for all of us and clarifying his intention. I wouldn't be able to do the same because I'm too disabled and scared of people to contact a stranger.

Edit: added the second paragraph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 10:43 am

Joe90 wrote:
skibum wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Quote:

It's OK, I was just confused, that's all. :)
Quite understandable! Apparently I was also! :) :heart:

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 10:47 am

funeralxempire wrote:
skibum wrote:

In some ways I can relate because the stress of never letting it out is overwhelming even if the fear of slipping for just an instant in the wrong circumstance is a strong motivator to continue dealing with that stress.

I've self-harmed in response to having to internalize those feelings. I've self-harmed by releasing those feelings on inanimate objects to avoid taking them out on people who probably deserved to be on the receiving end, as well as to avoid doing so to people who didn't.

It's also caused harm in other ways even if thankfully it hasn't lead to legal problems yet.
I totally relate. I have also self harmed rather than hurting those who are hurting me. It's a tough battle. I have also been put into a psyche ward for it. But that turned out to be a disaster because the psyche ward is not designed for Autistic people who are suffering from being socially and neurologically abused. So it did not help at all and I was only abused more when I was there.

People don't realize the amount of courage and strength it takes to go through what we go through on a regular basis just to survive and stay as intact as we can. It's a tough road but somehow we manage it. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 10:53 am

temp1234 wrote:
skibum wrote:

Hi. Just curious if he is going to officially acknowledge what you pointed out and maybe rewrite his article so that there will be no more misunderstandings. Even if he didn't intend to depict autistic people negatively, it could still do harm if the article remains unchanged.

I should thank you for proactively contacting the author of the article for all of us and clarifying his intention. I wouldn't be able to do the same because I'm too disabled and scared of people to contact a stranger.

Edit: added the second paragraph

I am so happy that I could do this. For some reason, dealing with total strangers like this is a strength that I have and a gift that God has given me and I am so happy that I can use that gift to help our community and to advocate. When I spoke to him, he could not actually remember the article because it was published in 2019 and he said that he writes hundreds of articles. So I am really glad that it was actually posted on this thread so that we have easy access to it. I will definitely ask him if he would be willing to write a follow up to change what he originally wrote. I told him that his original article stirred quite an outrage. He understood once I explained that to him and he seemed genuinely sorry that this had happened. I know for sure that he never intended that to happen and that he did not realize how that article had come across. I will definitely ask him to rewrite it and I think he probably will. He seems like a very caring person.

Wreck It Ralph

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 12:10 pm

NO

WE CANT COMMUINICATE IT BUILDS frustration

the nts dont understand...cognitively speaking

ie you don't understand I need my sameneses and you don't care about my passions

thats ok but ido

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 12:11 pm

skibum wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
skibum wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
skibum wrote:
We are not more aggressive than anybody else. I did not read the article itself but from the paragraph that the OP posted, my first thought is, "here we go again, another nt who has no idea how we work trying to describe us." They could just ask us but why bother when they can write articles like that as if they are experts.

Any people (NT or ND) would likely be biased in how they answer if just asked, egos tend to do that. Beyond that, at least some of us are more impaired than others when it comes to self-awareness and social awareness, which will further contribute to unreliable responses. Finally, some portion of autistics who might be most prone to aggression also aren't likely to be surveyed unless someone goes and visits them, which might be disruptive and upsetting to those on the more severe side of the spectrum.

Thinking of someone like my cousin who had to be placed in care because he kept beating the s**t out of my aunt, from my understanding of his degree of severity it's unlikely he would be able to give a comprehensible answer, at least not verbally and possibly not via any method.

The only way to account for people with that degree of severity is asking caregivers, which likely leads to only including what's documented, so all those cases where my aunt got beat-up wouldn't count because she didn't report them to police and she doesn't have a log for incident reports because she isn't a care facility.

That's why they don't just ask us.
I understand what you mean. But the reason I say what I say is that as a verbal Autistic who gets pushed to that point pretty regularly I and people like me are probably more equipped to help them understand why we, and other Autistic people who do not have the same styles and freedoms of communication, feel that way and what pushes us to that point. But they don't ask us. They assume they know. Maybe if they asked us, they might have a better idea of how to help people who do not have the same means of communicating as we do.

The why probably isn't relevant when tracking how common violence is.

If I ask how many socks are on your floor why they're there and how they got there aren't details I care about or need to know about.

Why is much more relevant when considering approaches to reduce violence.
The tracking or how common violence is in the Autistic community is not an accurate science. It's not possible to track because so many people are not diagnosed. It is also completely true that there are far more non violent Autistics then there are violent ones.

stop bullying them

stop it