Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jul 2022, 1:33 pm

Does anyone know why there are loud music at restaurants?
People visit such restaurants so they must be really good at tolerating it or for sole reason enjoy it.
I found this "Loud music makes us "drunk." There's scientific proof that the louder and faster the music, the faster (and often more) people eat and drink. In the past, corporate restaurant chains have even developed soundtracks that switch to higher tempo music at a louder volume when they want to turn tables."
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bonapp ... o-loud/amp

Why would anyone pay to sit and eat in a stressful environment? Even tv show nowadays ate more stressful. This is why I love watching old tv shows/programs.
Anyway, am I just too much an aspie who cannot understand why people love stressful environments?
At some workplaces they use open landscapes.
Perhaps we are living in a world that think stressfull environments are very good. :?:

I've been told that the world has changed a lot.
Old tv shows are really slow.
And about music. Sure, there was loud music in the old days but mostly when a real band was playing, right?
I watched one episode of the old version of Hawaii-50 and it was kind of slow.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 7:27 pm

Yeah, I've wondered about that as well. Maybe people like the feel of being revved up? Maybe they don't care because they are too focused on the food or whoever is there with them? I have no idea. Maybe amped up, fast music promotes fast paced conversation? I dunno. I find it all stressful and prefer take-out or delivery if I'm doing restaurant food....seriously, I love grubhub. :lol: All the food I don't have to cook myself, none of the headache/pain in my backside.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 7:35 pm

Sensory seeking.
Understimulation.

Whether it's preferences due to receiving poor stimuli (in a way how some people with cognitive impairments struggle to learn, in a way why someone with poor hearing needed louder music..), or being conditioned/accustomed to have that amount of stimuli to be in their 'normal' (kinda closer to addiction, related to homeostasis and habits -- in which relatively that NTs needed more stimulation than an average sensitive aspie).

In a way why people are just bored and want to hit that sweet spot. By doing it more often and more intensely.

Some are not necessarily about enjoying. Some does.

I was a sensory seeker, but with sensitivities without a lot of intolerance.
I would know -- what being sensitive, 'insensitive', intolerant, tolerant, overwhelmed and underwhelmed meant.

And if I were in an event where I can go all crazy and no holding back with the silliness, I'd overwhelm myself into overstimulation because I'm enjoying it a little too much.

Doesn't matter if it's a crowded mall full of blasting music in several directions, or an active construction site with a lot of heavy machinery.
I'm just "free" compared to supposed 'peaceful
and safe places' where I'm obligated to follow nuisances. :roll:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 8:03 pm

Noise is a bit like alcohol. It dulls your internal strife by drowning it out.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 8:44 pm

Where I can find a restaurant that plays music like this? :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jul 2022, 4:49 am

Edna3362 wrote:
Sensory seeking.
Understimulation.

Whether it's preferences due to receiving poor stimuli (in a way how some people with cognitive impairments struggle to learn, in a way why someone with poor hearing needed louder music..), or being conditioned/accustomed to have that amount of stimuli to be in their 'normal' (kinda closer to addiction, related to homeostasis and habits -- in which relatively that NTs needed more stimulation than an average sensitive aspie).

In a way why people are just bored and want to hit that sweet spot. By doing it more often and more intensely.

I would know -- what being sensitive, 'insensitive', intolerant, tolerant, overwhelmed and underwhelmed meant.

And if I were in an event where I can go all crazy and no holding back with the silliness, I'd overwhelm myself into overstimulation because I'm enjoying it a little too much.

Doesn't matter if it's a crowded mall full of blasting music in several directions, or an active construction site with a lot of heavy machinery.

Do people receive poor stimuli these day?
So people have a lot of hyposensitivity these day?
It's not just about restaurants. Just look at how tv series or programs have changed.
We still have slower tv series and programs.
Theatre are still slower with less stimuli these days but then mostly older people are watching these plays.

One good thing is that people don't smoke at restaurant anymore. People were really tolerable before but nowadays they add the music instead.

"Most sensory seekers are undersensitive to input (this may be referred to as “hyposensitivity”)."
https://www.understood.org/en/articles/ ... ed-to-know

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2022, 6:15 am

Gammeldans wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
Sensory seeking.
Understimulation.

It's not just about restaurants. Just look at how tv series or programs have changed.
Theatre are still slower with less stimuli these days but then mostly older people are watching these plays.

One good thing is that people don't smoke at restaurant anymore. People were really tolerable before but nowadays they add the music instead.

"Most sensory seekers are undersensitive to input (this may be referred to as “hyposensitivity”)."

More like accustomed.
There's a reason why autistics seem to be prone to have sensitivities than most people.

Usually it's filters -- the quantity of stimuli taken and processed, and if desensitization is possible -- a way to modulate and regulate the senses.

It's not that most people are hyposensitive or understimulated -- though it seem that they are compared to an average autistic.

They're just desensitized compared to an average autistic. Senses accustomed to a level of stimuli over the course of time.

And can afford to be around it by having filters.

Entirely different from the premise of 'enjoying' from what anyone with sensory sensitivities a 'stressful environment'.

Most people aren't enjoying 'stressful environment' -- they're just accustomed, "adapted".
Just simply not-having sensory sensitivities -- just a something to be expected.

Anyways.

Not all sensory seekers are understimulated or hyposensitive.

I'm even one myself. :o
Even if I do deal the same amount of sensory stress, just as prone to overwhelm.
I just react differently to it.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Jul 2022, 4:33 am

Edna3362 wrote:
Gammeldans wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
Sensory seeking.
Understimulation.

More like accustomed.
There's a reason why autistics seem to be prone to have sensitivities than most people.

Usually it's filters -- the quantity of stimuli taken and processed, and if desensitization is possible -- a way to modulate and regulate the senses.

It's not that most people are hyposensitive or understimulated -- though it seem that they are compared to an average autistic.

They're just desensitized compared to an average autistic. Senses accustomed to a level of stimuli over the course of time.

Entirely different from the premise of 'enjoying' from what anyone with sensory sensitivities a 'stressful environment'.

Most people aren't enjoying 'stressful environment' -- they're just accustomed, "adapted".
Just simply not-having sensory sensitivities -- just a something to be expected.

Anyways.

Even if I do deal the same amount of sensory stress, just as prone to overwhelm.

Just react differently?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2022, 10:34 am

Gammeldans wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
Gammeldans wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
Sensory seeking.
Understimulation.

More like accustomed.

Anyways.

Just react differently?

Not everyone reacts to overstimulation and sensory sensitivity with anxiety and pain.
Or even discomfort.

Sensory seeking with sensitivity and overwhelm in my case is like...
Attempting to hit that note, again and again, despite feeling really raw and supposedly internally painful and possibly sickening yet still do it again anyways until something inside me is just too tired and hurt to handle it -- yet I'd still want it anyways, if it weren't for the limits of my own body/nervous system.

The typical human response (as in normal to most people; whether they're aspies or not, whether they're afflicted by most mental illness when experiencing it -- aspies just experience this more often times) is to avoid it or make it a source of anxiety, usually because of the pain and consequently loss of control due to overwhelm -- it's just designed that way, a form of defence mechanism.

Not in my case. It still isn't.
:lol: The obvious downside would mean I don't 'learn by fear or pain' as easily and don't do well with limitations.
It's really just me, because it also extends outside the sensory aspects and external factors like environment.