Page 3 of 8 [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 2:43 am

Noamx wrote:
Hey guys, didnt think this thread would get that many replies, thanks for sharing your opinions. I'd like to point out a few things regarding some of the things some of you have stated.

First of all, those who dont believe in Astrology obviously wouldn't understand the relationship between Astrology and Asperger Syndrome. And I'm not the kind of person to try to convince someone to believe in something they dont want to believe in, so those of you who dont believe, please ignore what I say about Astrology unless you have something interesting to say about it ( in a polite way, not "whats next, refrigerators" or whatever rude statement I've read in one of the replies here...).
Generally, just because you personally dont believe in something doesnt mean its all lies / false. The generally accepted view, not just mine personally, is the personality traits obtained by individuals based on their astrology sign, contribute to severity of certain symptoms of Asperger Syndrome. If for example you were born under an astrology sign with a less social nature, your social difficulties caused by Asperger Syndrome would be worse than someone born under a more social sign. Thats why you gotta look specifically at certain points to understand the relationship or how it makes an effect.
If you dont believe in Astrology thats your choice, but I believe in it because I have noticed the personality traits described about certain astrology signs match alot what I saw on people I know in my real life.
Just being born under some astrology sign doesnt necessarily increase the chance of asperger syndrome itself. But it increases the likelihood of having certain symptoms worse than if you were born under a different astrology sign.
All of this is for people who tend to believe in astrology, not closed minded people who had replied here and tried to joke / make fun of this subject. Like I said, I'm not here to convince people to believe in anything.

Other than Astrology, yes, there are risk factors which increase the chance of developing Asperger Syndrome. It might not necessarily be something you are born with, but could be something you develop during early childhood. No way you start to have Asperger Syndrome as an adult. It always starts in childhood(or atleast becomes prevalent in childhood).

Generally, as a good advice to improve discussions in generally, its better off to remain polite and not make fun of or joke about something only because you disagree with it. When I disagree with something I state why I disagree, what I think is wrong, what my opinion is, etc. - I do all that with respect, I try to stay polite always. I expect other people here to do the same thing - otherwise, I might re-consider my decision to participate on the forums with long, deep discussions / conversations if I notice there arent many people who appreciate it.

You put it under a list of causes for Asperger's syndrome, as though astrology is a cause factor of Asperger's.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 2:50 am

i was prolly incarnate on another planet before i came to earth. :alien:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 8:22 am

Joe90 wrote:
Noamx wrote:
Hey guys, didnt think this thread would get that many replies, thanks for sharing your opinions. I'd like to point out a few things regarding some of the things some of you have stated.

First of all, those who don't believe in Astrology obviously wouldn't understand the relationship between Astrology and Asperger Syndrome. . .
You put it under a list of causes for Asperger's syndrome, as though astrology is a cause factor of Asperger's.
Believing in Astrology is irrelevant to any associated claim because: (1) mere belief proves nothing, and (3) Astrology is superstitious nonsense.

Believing that the arrangements of planets and stars at the moment of one's birth determine one's personality and future is as futile as believing that "the devil" is responsible for promiscuous behavior and infidelity ("The devil made me do it!") or that an allegedly demon-possessed dog is responsible for a series of brutal, bloody murders.

The arrangement of vehicles in a maternity hospital's parking lot, and the arrangement of the doctors and nurses in the delivery room would have greater influence on a newborn baby than any balls of rock or gas floating light-years away out in space.

So when you come right down to it, Astrology, in its traditional form, is a type of divination based on the false theory that the positions and movements of celestial bodies -- i.e., stars, planets (except Earth), Sun, and Moon -- at the time of birth profoundly influence a person's life.  Many astrologers also erroneously claim that terrestrial events such as natural disasters are predicted by various celestial arrangements or events.

Correlation does not prove any alleged causal connection, but confirmation bias and magical thinking make observable coincidences good enough for astrologers and their misled followers.

As for me, I was born under the following sign:

MATERNITY WARD
Delivery Room 3
No Smoking

:lol:

Last edited by Fnord on 21 Jul 2022, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Noamx
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jul 2022, 8:23 am

Joe90 wrote:
Noamx wrote:

First of all, those who dont believe in Astrology obviously wouldn't understand the relationship between Astrology and Asperger Syndrome. And I'm not the kind of person to try to convince someone to believe in something they dont want to believe in, so those of you who dont believe, please ignore what I say about Astrology unless you have something interesting to say about it ( in a polite way, not "whats next, refrigerators" or whatever rude statement I've read in one of the replies here...).
Generally, just because you personally dont believe in something doesnt mean its all lies / false. The generally accepted view, not just mine personally, is the personality traits obtained by individuals based on their astrology sign, contribute to severity of certain symptoms of Asperger Syndrome. If for example you were born under an astrology sign with a less social nature, your social difficulties caused by Asperger Syndrome would be worse than someone born under a more social sign. Thats why you gotta look specifically at certain points to understand the relationship or how it makes an effect.
If you dont believe in Astrology thats your choice, but I believe in it because I have noticed the personality traits described about certain astrology signs match alot what I saw on people I know in my real life.
Just being born under some astrology sign doesnt necessarily increase the chance of asperger syndrome itself. But it increases the likelihood of having certain symptoms worse than if you were born under a different astrology sign.
All of this is for people who tend to believe in astrology, not closed minded people who had replied here and tried to joke / make fun of this subject. Like I said, I'm not here to convince people to believe in anything.

Other than Astrology, yes, there are risk factors which increase the chance of developing Asperger Syndrome. It might not necessarily be something you are born with, but could be something you develop during early childhood. No way you start to have Asperger Syndrome as an adult. It always starts in childhood(or atleast becomes prevalent in childhood).

Generally, as a good advice to improve discussions in generally, its better off to remain polite and not make fun of or joke about something only because you disagree with it. When I disagree with something I state why I disagree, what I think is wrong, what my opinion is, etc. - I do all that with respect, I try to stay polite always. I expect other people here to do the same thing - otherwise, I might re-consider my decision to participate on the forums with long, deep discussions / conversations if I notice there arent many people who appreciate it.

Maybe I decided to phrase it the wrong way in the beginning on this thread. Whether you tend to believe in astrology or not, what I meant was certain astrology signs have a general tendency to be less social, and as a result, if the person who was born under that particular sign, also have Asperger Syndrome, this means the negative social symptoms of the syndrome would be worse for that person specifically. This isn't my personal opinion, its based on intense research I've done around the Internet about these kind of things. If multiple sources which imply a similar thing say it, its very unlikely they are all wrong.

Again, you can choose not to believe in Astrology in generally, and that's fine, but this is what I found out and this is one of the risk factors. Remember also that risk factors are increasing a chance of something, not necessarily causing it directly in every case of Asperger Syndrome.

This argument is pointless if you are someone who dont believe in Astrology. People who dont believe in Astrology shouldnt talk to me about it because it would lead to a boring, pointless argument.

About me, my name's Noam 32 years old from Israel, diagnosed with High functioning Autism at about age 21 but unofficially had this problem since I was born. From age 25 or so I started to function better but I still have alot of problems in my life. I live in Israel in a city called Ashdod, but I was born in Jerusalem. I'm Agnostic when it comes to religion.

Hobbies include Video Games, Music, Sports, Swimming, Watch TV, Sex/Getting laid, Alcohol, Writing, Reading, and more.

Noamx
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jul 2022, 8:24 am

Fnord wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
Noamx wrote:

First of all, those who don't believe in Astrology obviously wouldn't understand the relationship between Astrology and Asperger Syndrome. . .
Believing in Astrology is irrelevant to any associated claim because: (1) mere belief proves nothing, and (3) Astrology is superstitious nonsense.

Believing that the arrangements of planets and stars at the moment of one's birth determine one's personality and future is as futile as believing that "the devil" is responsible for promiscuous behavior and infidelity ("The devil made me do it!") or that an allegedly demon-possessed dog is responsible for a series of brutal, bloody murders.

The arrangement of vehicles in a maternity hospital's parking lot, and the arrangement of the doctors and nurses in the delivery room would have greater influence on a newborn baby than any balls of rock or gas floating light-years away out in space.

So when you come right down to it, Astrology, in its traditional form, is a type of divination based on the false theory that the positions and movements of celestial bodies -- i.e., stars, planets (except Earth), Sun, and Moon -- at the time of birth profoundly influence a person's life.  Many astrologers also erroneously claim that terrestrial events such as natural disasters are predicted by various celestial arrangements or events.

Correlation does not prove any alleged causal connection, but confirmation bias and magical thinking make observable coincidences good enough for astrologers and their misled followers.

As for me, I was born under the following sign:

MATERNITY WARD
Delivery Room 3
No Smoking

:lol:

You are someone who doesnt believe in Astrology and that was enough for me to conclude I shouldnt spend my time, or energy, arguing with you about these matters. You can continue to be a smartass and make weird claims like you've been doing in this thread, I dont care and wont reply to it anymore.

About me, my name's Noam 32 years old from Israel, diagnosed with High functioning Autism at about age 21 but unofficially had this problem since I was born. From age 25 or so I started to function better but I still have alot of problems in my life. I live in Israel in a city called Ashdod, but I was born in Jerusalem. I'm Agnostic when it comes to religion.

Hobbies include Video Games, Music, Sports, Swimming, Watch TV, Sex/Getting laid, Alcohol, Writing, Reading, and more.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 8:26 am

^Yes, I know what you mean now. But I think before people thought you meant astrology being a cause factor, like if you're born in a certain month you're more at risk of having autism than if you were born in the previous/next month.

I don't think I've been rude to you in this thread.

Noamx
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jul 2022, 8:32 am

Joe90 wrote:
^Yes, I know what you mean now. But I think before people thought you meant astrology being a cause factor, like if you're born in a certain month you're more at risk of having autism than if you were born in the previous/next month.

No, I guess there was a misunderstanding then, thats not really what I meant. What I actually meant was, some astrology signs are generally less social, enjoy being alone more or tend to avoid social situations a little more than other astrology signs. I just gave a few examples of generally less social astrology signs, just to give a better idea of it. It doesnt cause the syndrome directly, but can possibly make symptoms worse if you have the syndrome + are born under a generally less social sign. You can still learn social skills, but you'll never be as good at it as certain other more social signs.

And generally, people who think Astrology is s**t / dont believe in it, are not worth my time or effort, because no matter how much I would try to explain things they wouldnt understand / agree with it. Same with religion, you wouldnt try to explain something religious to someone who isnt religious, right? They wouldnt care about what you have to say. Same idea here.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 8:35 am

I'm a non-religious person who doesn't argue religion with somebody who "believes."

I'm a non-believer in astrology who doesn't argue with people who believe in astrology.

But I am firm in the belief that there is never "one root cause" of Aspergers, or of autism in general. Sometimes, it's genetic; other times, it's not.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 8:36 am

Noamx wrote:
Certain astrology signs have a general tendency to be less social.
Evidence, please?
Noamx wrote:
This isn't my personal opinion, its based on intense research I've done around the Internet about these kind of things.
Please provide links to the sources of your alleged "research".
Noamx wrote:
If multiple sources which imply a similar thing say it, its very unlikely they are all wrong.
Implication is not irrefutable proof, especially if, in reality, the alleged "implication" is really driven by one's own confirmation bias to reinforce one's previous beliefs.
Noamx wrote:
Again, you can choose not to believe in Astrology ..., but this is what I found out and this is one of the risk factors.
Found out, or inferred from dubious sources?
Noamx wrote:
This argument is pointless if you are someone who dont believe in Astrology. People who dont believe in Astrology shouldnt talk to me about it because it would lead to a boring, pointless argument.
Telling people who do not believe in fakery like astrology, tarot-based cartomancy, and other store-front "psychic" practices "Don't join the conversation unless you support my beliefs" is typical of the woo-woo crowd -- people who seem more concerned with being believed than with being factual.

:roll:

Last edited by Fnord on 21 Jul 2022, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 8:38 am

Joe90 wrote:
You have not been rude.

Some people perceive opposing, yet valid perspectives as "rudeness" at the very least, and "personal attacks" at worst.

Noamx
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jul 2022, 8:39 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm a non-religious person who doesn't argue religion with somebody who "believes."

I'm a non-believer in astrology who doesn't argue with people who believe in astrology.

But I am firm in the belief that there is never "one root cause" of Aspergers, or of autism in general. Sometimes, it's genetic; other times, it's not.

Well actually, there's never one main cause of Asperger Syndrome. Thats something I learned about it during my intense research into the syndrome, as I was in the process of trying to find out why I have it. When I was a less aware person of myself / my environment, I wasnt aware I even have it at all so I didnt know what I need to find out or how to learn more information. Its a big disadvantage and can cause alot of frustration.

You dont argue and thats a good thing, but some people have a tendency to argue about things they dont believe in. Thats the kind of people I'm trying to avoid. For me, atleast in my personal opinion, I see no point in arguing about something if the other person doesnt believe in the subject being discussed in the first place. When the person comes from this type of mindset, you can explain things all day and they still wouldnt understand / believe. But its great to hear you are a less argumentative person generally, its a good trait.

Noamx
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jul 2022, 8:43 am

Fnord wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
You have not been rude.

Some people perceive opposing, yet valid perspectives as "rudeness" at the very least, and "personal attacks" at worst.

Rudeness is a very personal matter which depends on your point of view and your personal opinion, and so on. Something can appear rude to me but appear completely fine to you, and vice versa. Arguing about whether something was rude or not is mostly pointless most of the time, unless there was a very clear use of vulgar words. In that case specifically, almost everyone would agree its rude. And when there's universal agreement on the matter, an argument is unlikely to happen.

Noamx
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jul 2022, 8:47 am

Fnord wrote:
Noamx wrote:
Certain astrology signs have a general tendency to be less social.
Evidence, please?
Noamx wrote:
This isn't my personal opinion, its based on intense research I've done around the Internet about these kind of things.
Please provide links to the sources of your alleged "research".
Noamx wrote:
If multiple sources which imply a similar thing say it, its very unlikely they are all wrong.
Implication is not irrefutable proof, especially if, in reality, the alleged "implication" is really driven by one's own confirmation bias to reinforce one's previous beliefs.
Noamx wrote:
Again, you can choose not to believe in Astrology ..., but this is what I found out and this is one of the risk factors.
Found out, or inferred from dubious sources?
Noamx wrote:
Telling people who do not believe in fakery like astrology, tarot-based cartomancy, and other store-front "psychic" practices "Don't join the conversation unless you support my beliefs" is typical of the woo-woo crowd -- people who seem more concerned with being believed than with being factual.

:roll:

I dont have the time or patience to share "evidence" of what I say, and quite honestly dont think I have to do so or under any obligation to do so either, you can choose not to believe and thats totally fine. You're the first person I encountered who's asking for evidence of what I say and seriously thinks people have the time, patience, or desire to give that to you.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 8:49 am

Edna3362 wrote:
I have 1/4 at worst.
My younger sister has 4/4 at worst.

I'm autistic.
My younger sister is NT.

Including factors like premature birth, childhood sickness, birth via c session, etc. My sister has them all -- I don't.

She's still an NT, and I'm not.

Even our respective zodiac signs included.
I'm a Gemini -- which is arguably the social butterfly zodiac sign.
And my sister's a Virgo -- which is supposedly an ambivert at best, the least social zodiac sign at worst and it even sounded like very aspie inclined.

My parents had me before they're 30. They have my sister after they're 30.

What else?
Genetics? Being an ND does not run in my family.
Supposedly having an AS sibling would up the chances, with me being the first child and all that -- well my sister still isn't. :o

Heck, most of the factors and odds that supposed to make someone more at risk of autism -- my sister has more than I ever do.

And look how it turned out. :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 8:56 am

Noamx wrote:
I see no point in arguing about something if the other person doesnt believe in the subject being discussed in the first place.
Wrong.  There is no point in discussing anything when everyone believes the same things; yet, when everyone thinks alike, no one is thinking at all.
Noamx wrote:
When the person comes from this type of mindset, you can explain things all day and they still wouldnt understand / believe. But its great to hear you are a less argumentative person generally, its a good trait.
Then know these things: I used to be an astrologer.  I charged money to draw up natal astrology charts (interpreting the results cost extra).  I was so deep into astrology that I also heavily "researched" the topic by reading every book on astrology I could find (just as you have likely done).  Then one day, I read a textbook on astronomy -- a real science -- and discovered the truth about such things as the inverse-square law of radiant forces, the speed of light, causality, and other scientifically-proven physical principles.  I also learned about the burden of proof, and how believers in superstition and religious doctrine tried to silence scientific enquiry to maintain the believers' high status and political influence.

I continued my astrology business, only then with the knowledge that I was perpetuating The Big Lie and swindling ignorant and gullible seekers out of their hard-earned money, just like every other "professional" astrologer.  I had a steady, but modest income, because we all know that there is a
 sucker  seeker born every minute.

Astrology has no valid connection to one's fate, and is certainly NOT a factor in autism spectrum disorders.

Would you like to know what else I found out about astrology from my college courses in real science?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 9:01 am

Noamx wrote:
I dont have the time or patience to share "evidence" of what I say, and quite honestly dont think I have to do so or under any obligation to do so either, you can choose not to believe and thats totally fine. You're the first person I encountered who's asking for evidence of what I say and seriously thinks people have the time, patience, or desire to give that to you.
It seems like you have no evidence to share, anyway; and the excuses (and condescension) you use have been used by others who were more interested in being believed than it being truthful.

Again, astrology has no proven connection to one's fate, and has NOT been proven to be a factor in autism spectrum disorders.