Sudden realisation that I may be autistic?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Confusion.com
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jul 2022, 6:07 am

I’m 38 years old and have 4 wonderful boys, two of them are diagnosed autistic. Over the last year or so, I’ve had a lot of lightbulb moments where I know think I am on the spectrum. I have always felt as though I was placed on the wrong planet and that no one is like me/ I’m different . I’ve struggled with anxiety most of my life and especially socially which can be just awful. I feel like home is where I can just be me and feel safe without having to mask who I am.
I’ve spoken to the gp who asked me to fill out the aq50 and he said he would refer me . I believe a diagnosis would explain who I am. I over think everything and I need a lot of information for my brain to process what I am being told, for example , if someone tells me something that has happened in the world , I need to research that information myself to come to my own conclusion.
I hate compliments , I don’t understand why someone would want to draw attention on you like that, it’s just very odd.
My family and my husband believe I am autistic and I’m ok with it, I would like to know for certain.

This is the first time I’ve reached out on a forum and I suppose I just feel very lost in my own thoughts right now , thanks for reading

Lyndsay

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2022, 9:40 am

Welcome to WP! An interest in Autism is the price of admission, no matter what—if any—diagnosis you eventually get.

I did not even consider I might be Autistic until I was 64. Then some unlikely circumstances aligned and caused me to investigate the possibility—even though I thought it was very unlikely. After a little research, though, it looked right! Then I got my bride to do a little research and she agreed, I had Autistic traits.

I got my diagnosis shortly before my 65th birthday and I was delighted. It explained so much of my life. I really did insist we pick up some champagne on the way home from getting the diagnosis. And there was more champagne after the written report showed up in the mail.

And I agree that "Wrong Planet" is a wonderful description of the experience. When my bride brought this site to my attention the name immediately made sense. However, I'm a bit older than you and Alex Plank...I would've described it as living in The Twilight Zone.

Confusion.com
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jul 2022, 11:42 am

That’s wonderful that you felt delighted about the diagnosis . I imagine that’s how I will feel too. Being able to understand yourself after living a life of wondering why your not like everyone else must feel comforting. Thank you for sharing your experience with me,

Kind regards
Lyndsay