Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Wolfi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jul 2022, 2:58 am

Hi!
Is it possible to get rid of fixation/fascination, that I'm hating? I'm very tired with this one and want to live without...

timf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 6:03 am

You might try to replace it with an alternative. I remember AA meetings were often smoke filled rooms.

Sometimes you can nibble at the edges such as at the moment a fixation cries for attention, delay it for ten minutes. You might slowly acquire increasing control.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2022, 4:34 pm

You could try saying to yourself "self...you can think about the said thing, but only AFTER you floss your teeth", or "only after you peddle a mile on the stationary exercise bike".

Lizbeth Ann
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jul 2022, 8:29 pm

Can you pinpoint why you have that fixation? Is there a demand that needs addressing(hungry, tired, frustrated, bored, excited)? Or is it a sensory issue?

*Another note is this fixation OCD related? If it is, then perhaps OCD methods of relief can be applied to the response situation.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 10:00 pm

meditation

medication

hobby

job

friends

counseling

diversion

"thin line between love and hate", so i try to avoid both extremes. but that's not great, b/c then i just feel repressed.

there is something wrong with everything.

Wolfi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jul 2022, 11:52 am

Hi thanks for answers :) it's related with focusing on shapes. since childhood I'm thinking about something like perfect shape (like geometric shape) and focusing on what I see as perfect... It's hard to explain, but I'm really tired and don't want to think about this perfect shape, don't want to see it as perfect. I think that it's very likely to be OCD-connected

timf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 1:20 pm

You might try diluting it with other "perfect shapes" such as the perfect crescent, the perfect trapezoid, the perfect spiral, etc.

You might also try to see utility in imperfection such that the idea of "perfect" becomes less elevated.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 6:17 pm

At the ages 7 and 8, I was obsessed with the penis. I asked my mum if I could watch The Dukes of Hazard at the age of 8, and that put an end to my penis obsession. I thoughts of a good TV show to keep my mind occupied.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2022, 6:35 pm

You could try visualizing your perfect shape with an imperfection, that may break your focus on it with time and practice.