Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 10:29 am

Yep....I'm a pretty bad "underthinker" myself.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 10:49 am

I probably am an overthinker. I would think of it as being cautious.

But, sometimes people might think I underthink something. I wouldn't associate it with impulsiveness, though...I would associate it with lack of interest.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 10:52 am

We're either underthinking or overthinking, there's no in-between, but it's better than not thinking at all, which many other humans are doing.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 2:03 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
We're either underthinking or overthinking, there's no in-between, but it's better than not thinking at all, which many other humans are doing.

Certainly most of the British public don't think at all :lol: :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2022, 11:08 pm

I'm always underthinking stuff. I've been called goofball and ret*d because of it.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Sep 2022, 4:05 am

Let's be practical. What has helped you deal with overthinking?

I was once told that when I start to overthink the following should be done: keep on thinking for a while and see if it actually helps me. Then if it isn't helpful I should stop.

The person who told me this works with people who ASD issues but...I wasn't helped by his advice beacuse I would not stop thinking. I should have tried to stop thinking at once when I became aware of my overthinking. But I guess his advice could have worked for someone else.

Just stop thinking when you become aware of your overthinking isn't easy at all!! !! ! I think some overthinking is due to frutrations and emotions/feelings. It is not always an intellectual and rational discussion with yourself. This is why just stop thinking is so difficult. It is more than just thinking.

What is helpful?

Double Retired wrote:

But, sometimes people might think I underthink something. I wouldn't associate it with impulsiveness, though...I would associate it with lack of interest.

Lack of interest? Can you choose to think about a subject just because you know it is important or do you have to find the subject interesting?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2022, 4:17 am

Gammeldans wrote:
Is underthinking a thing in ASD?

Yes

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Sep 2022, 4:33 am

lostonearth35 wrote:

:?:

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2022, 3:37 am

Gammeldans wrote:

I was once told that when I start to overthink the following should be done: keep on thinking for a while and see if it actually helps me. Then if it isn't helpful I should stop.

The person who told me this works with people who ASD issues but...I wasn't helped by his advice beacuse I would not stop thinking. I should have tried to stop thinking at once when I became aware of my overthinking. But I guess his advice could have worked for someone else.

Just stop thinking when you become aware of your overthinking isn't easy at all!! ! ! ! I think some overthinking is due to frutrations and emotions/feelings. It is not always an intellectual and rational discussion with yourself. This is why just stop thinking is so difficult. It is more than just thinking.

What is helpful?

Double Retired wrote:

Lack of interest? Can you choose to think about a subject just because you know it is important or do you have to find the subject interesting?

I see what happened here.
When I come to the concrete reality people back off. Are we afraid of being very concrete?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2022, 9:22 am

lostonearth35 wrote:

Not thinking at all is under thinking

I overthink

Almost all my coworkers underthink. They talk too much and too loud. It's like there is no space between their mouths and brains. f**k those annoying lil dipshits

tinkusur
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Sep 2022, 2:07 pm

I overthink conversations and actions from the past; how to cope with practical tasks and routines that don't faze other people/NTs.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 4:18 pm

tinkusur wrote:
I overthink conversations and actions from the past; how to cope with practical tasks and routines that don't faze other people/NTs.

Well summed up. Me too! Exactly.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 6:18 pm

Gammeldans wrote:

Internal regulation.

Just internal regulation -- the type that doesn't happen consciously or manually in executive functions.
Namely the mind works as it should as opposed to the disorganized, disorted and reactive mess.

Unfortunately, as much as it is well sought, it cannot be 'done' except for lucky ones who just need the simple stuff that works for them, or trial and error treatments related to the very complicated mechanisms of human biology and psychology that it can take decades (or beyond one's lifetime) to attain.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 7:57 pm

I tend to think, think, think, think, worry, obsess, plan, plan, think, procrastinate about thinking, think more, worry more, go down rabbit holes, think, worry, obsess, and overdo every course of action ahead of time ....

but when the time comes to actually do the thing, I just wing it without forethought or any preparation.

I just free-fall.

It's ASD planning and ADHD execution.

Then I ruminate about it (ASD again), after my catastrophic failure.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2022, 9:51 pm

KitLily wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

Really? I was sure it was murricans, mostly. Like the post I read yesterday about someone being upset that their kid's teacher was teaching about "homo sapiens" when the parent felt they should be called "hetero sapiens." And then there was a reply from a teacher about how they had a parent complain to them about telling their kid that humans are animals by saying "humans are mammals, not animals".

It's true that all mammals are animals, including humans, but not all animals are mammals. I guess next they'll be complaining about the word mammal since it comes from the Latin word for "breast", which they find offensive.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2022, 10:03 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
KitLily wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

Really? I was sure it was murricans, mostly. Like the post I read yesterday about someone being upset that their kid's teacher was teaching about "homo sapiens" when the parent felt they should be called "hetero sapiens." And then there was a reply from a teacher about how they had a parent complain to them about telling their kid that humans are animals by saying "humans are mammals, not animals".

It's true that all mammals are animals, including humans, but not all animals are mammals. I guess next they'll be complaining about the word mammal since it comes from the Latin word for "breast", which they find offensive.

that's funny about the parents. Hetero sapiens. Offensive mammals :lol:

No, the British are just as unthinking. The majority voted to leave the EU, the nearest, most welcoming trading bloc for the stupidest of reasons. Many see covid and vaccinations as fake news designed to control our minds e.g. putting microchips in our skin. Some even support Russia's invasion of Ukraine and blame NATO :shrug: