Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 8:53 am

I would like to discuss psychology of Greta Thunberg, given that she has Asperger.

A lot of people say that her parents made her do it. This is not true because part of the story that she says is that nobody besides her could relate: not her friends, not her parents. That, plus she was the one who convinced her parents to change their careers so that they don't have to waste gas.

This being said, it is still obvious how she reads things from the script, and how she is not able to answer the questions during the interview. Like one example was they asked her, before her speech, what was her message. She clearly looked confused, looked at the script, didn't now what to say, and then said "the message is we are watching you" just to get herself out of situation. And on the interviews when she was asked "what do you want us to do about the climate" she never really answered that question: she just repeated the same old platitudes.

So I am not sure what to make of it. On the one hand it is clearly her idea not her parents. On the other hand she doesn't know what to do other than reading from the script.

It is also amazing how she was able to convince all those other students to protest. Because the way she comes across is that she is clueless about anything and everything besides climate (you never hear her talk about any other issue). So she must be clueless about social skills too: the notion of social interactions is not climate related. So how was she able to get the kids to follow her?

Does she have friends? If yes, it would be really surprising, since friendship involves things other than climate. If not, how did she have a popularity to gain a following?

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 10:02 am

QFT wrote:
This being said, it is still obvious how she reads things from the script, and how she is not able to answer the questions during the interview. Like one example was they asked her, before her speech, what was her message. She clearly looked confused, looked at the script, didn't now what to say, and then said "the message is we are watching you" just to get herself out of situation. And on the interviews when she was asked "what do you want us to do about the climate" she never really answered that question: she just repeated the same old platitudes.

A script can still be self written, in other words, the person's own words. When I go give lectures at hobby events, I make and practice the whole lecture a lot beforehand, so I don't need to read it from anywhere. I also try to prepare for questions, but sometimes, I get a question that was completely unexpected or one that is asked in such a way that I don't know how to put the answer in to words even if I think I have one. I think Thunberg might be in a similiar situation: her "scripts" are speeches she herself has prepared beforehand, but when she gets a question that she hadn't prepared for, she doesn't know what to say because she hasn't had the time to think about it. Like when asked what her message was, she might not have thought of a short summary for her speech or anything of the like that could be counted as the core of the message. Or she could have misunderstood the question, like maybe she thought what the message of some particular thing she said was? As for repeating the same old platitudes, well, if those are the only things she can think of that she wants to be done about it, then it's a proper answer, isn't it? Repeating the same old mantras only becomes meaningless once the problems those mantras are about have been handled one way or the other. Assuming those mantras are about the subject at hand, of course.

Quote:
It is also amazing how she was able to convince all those other students to protest. Because the way she comes across is that she is clueless about anything and everything besides climate (you never hear her talk about any other issue). So she must be clueless about social skills too: the notion of social interactions is not climate related. So how was she able to get the kids to follow her?

Does she have friends? If yes, it would be really surprising, since friendship involves things other than climate. If not, how did she have a popularity to gain a following?

While some people might truly be inspired by her, I think for many Thunberg was just in the right place at the right time. Lots of people were already worried about the environment etc, so when one person opened her mouth, others got the courage to follow her example. It just happened to be Thunberg who was among the first to make big moves; for many, it's irrelevant who the face of the movement is as long as there is a face.

Also, the reason one doesn't hear her talk about other things is likely because she's the face of an environment movement. If she talks about other stuff, it's not relevant to the topic, so it doesn't hit the news. She might also be keeping her social media and other things focused on the cause on purpose as a tactical move to get as much attention on it as possible and have more private accounts that she uses with friends and family to talk about other stuff.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 10:42 am

She's found herself a niche in the world and she's very proud of herself. I'm proud of her too. I'm sure that she talks to her friends and family about other things. She was in the right place at the right time and it helps to fuel her passion. I think that she will go on to do great things for the environment.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 11:44 am

Fireblossom wrote:
QFT wrote:

A script can still be self written, in other words, the person's own words. When I go give lectures at hobby events, I make and practice the whole lecture a lot beforehand, so I don't need to read it from anywhere. I also try to prepare for questions, but sometimes, I get a question that was completely unexpected or one that is asked in such a way that I don't know how to put the answer in to words even if I think I have one. I think Thunberg might be in a similiar situation: her "scripts" are speeches she herself has prepared beforehand, but when she gets a question that she hadn't prepared for, she doesn't know what to say because she hasn't had the time to think about it. Like when asked what her message was, she might not have thought of a short summary for her speech or anything of the like that could be counted as the core of the message. Or she could have misunderstood the question, like maybe she thought what the message of some particular thing she said was? As for repeating the same old platitudes, well, if those are the only things she can think of that she wants to be done about it, then it's a proper answer, isn't it? Repeating the same old mantras only becomes meaningless once the problems those mantras are about have been handled one way or the other. Assuming those mantras are about the subject at hand, of course.

In my case I don't prepare the scripts. I remember my mom suggested that when I teach I should recite my lectures before hand, and I always told her I won't do it cause I am not a robot. I did, however, recite some of the talks on the conference. But the purpose was solely to make sure I fit in the time. And it never actually worked: because during the actual conference I ended up talking either slower or quicker than what I recited, which again goes back to the fact that I didn't recite actual words, only practiced the pace. I finally realized that what works a lot better for me is to simply have "too much" material that I am "going" to talk about, and then judge by the clock what to say and what to skip. Nobody will know I skipped a bunch of stuff since they aren't mind readers. I guess when it comes to the conference talks, then I myself would be unhappy skipping things because I feel like some of my ideas are super important (even if others don't). But when it comes to teaching I am a lot happier doing it because a course consists of several lectuers, so whatever I didn't do today I can always do next time. The problem that I encountered though, is staying with the syllabus. Since syllabus and homework was written by class coordinator, when I lagged behind the homework schedule last semester it was a problem. But this semester I am writing homeworks myself so that makes it much better: I can simply go at my own pace and write homeworks based on what I cover.

Its interesting that while I am more autistic than you when it comes to social skills, you seem more autistic than me when it comes to being scripted. Could it be that the two are related. As in, trying to be scripted is a way of compensating for social skills problems. And precisely "because" you can't just answer things on the spot the way I do, you are "also" less likely to make social faux passes? Or in other words, you are masking better than me, and masking comes with being scripted? However, Greta won't be a good example of masking since in her case her weirdness is quite obvious.

Despite all those differences, I do however see a lot of similarities between myself and Greta Thunberg. Even though I don't write script, what I say sounds scripted simply because I am stuck on a certain train of thought that I had for many years. And I do sound as a single-topic person. For example, in physics conferences it might sound like "I don't care about anything besides Grassmann numbers". On diabetes forum I sound like "I don't care about anything besides my glucose" and here on WrongPlanet I sound like "I don't care about anything other than people approaching me". Obviously, each one of those assertions is not true since it is being contradicted by the other two assertions. But that is how I come across. So watching Greta Thunberg videos was actually helpful because it helps explaining why others react to me the way they do. If all I care is Grassmann numbers, then of course they assume I don't want friends or a girlfriend. Well, except that its not true that thats all I care about, I just come across that way. So maybe, after Greta is done talking about environment, and I am done talking about Grassmann numbers, we both go home to complain about our loneliness, yet nobody ever thinks either of us even have that concept.

Fireblossom wrote:
Also, the reason one doesn't hear her talk about other things is likely because she's the face of an environment movement. If she talks about other stuff, it's not relevant to the topic, so it doesn't hit the news. She might also be keeping her social media and other things focused on the cause on purpose as a tactical move to get as much attention on it as possible and have more private accounts that she uses with friends and family to talk about other stuff.

I don't think that coming across as a face of single issue would help the credibility though. At least my reaction tends to be the opposite. I have some other examples of single-issue people.

One example is a website www.therefinersfire.org whose sole focus is how Christians should observe Torah and Jews should believe in Jesus. I actually agree with this, since I am Messianic myself. But since that seems to be the ONLY thing that website talks about, AND it repeats the same sentences in the same words (for example, some of her favorite phrases are "have heaven and earth passed away yet" and "forever didn't end on Tuesday"), that website began to feel robotic, as if its web master does not have any original thoughts. The good thing is that the web master wrote autobiography and even wrote a book. That helped. But still I wish she wasn't so single-issue-repetitious.

The other example is David Duke. He "used to" hate all minorities, blacks, Jews, gays, etc. But within the past few years he became single-focused on Jews. I am Jewish myself (although I believe in Jesus) but my reaction to his narrow Jew-focus is not anger. Instead, it is just boredom. I feel like every time I open one of his videos I can predict exactly what he would say, since I know he has to bring up Jews and there are only so many ways of doing so. I miss the good old days when he talked about blacks. By the way, two years ago he stopped posting videos at all. I am kinda curious what happened to him.

And then in physics, too, same thing. I noticed that some physics communities are stuck with certain train of thought that I know exactly what they would say. For example, the community that works on causal set theory, also has very specific view on quantum mechanics. Logically, I don't have to couple these two views to each other, yet thats what they do. I guess thats because they have a tradition of doing it, so they just blindly follow that tradition. By contrast, I like to couple causal set to a *different* interpretation of quantum mechanics, yet nobody pays attention to me.

With other math and physics communities, same thing. Each time I go into a specific community, everyone repeats whatever they have to traditionally repeat. Nobody thinks outside of that little box. That is why I don't fit into any of them, I like to come up with my own creative ideas.

And by the way, socially I noticed the same thing. Social groups "feel" a certain way. And when it feels like a social group "feels" in some way that is specific to that group, I want to get away so I could get a breath of fresh air. Could "this" be the rout of my social problems: that I don't like to repeat and be a robot?

Then could it be that being repetitious or copying stuff is something that both NT-s and aspies are guilty of, they are just do it differently. And so NT-s don't even notice they are doing it themselves since they are too used to it so they allege thats what aspies do when actually they do that too?

I do know that Greta is an aspie though. So it would be nice to put myself and Greta on one side, as examples of aspies, and those other people on the other side as examples of NT-s and see how they compare.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 11:45 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
She's found herself a niche in the world

So what would happen if the environmental problems were to get solved? She would lose her nitch. So then maybe she doesn't really want them to be solved, after all.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 11:56 am

P.S. I remember a few times when Greta actually said that if people were to understand how dire the environmental issues are, they won't be talking about anything else. Thats where she discreditted herself right there. So she never heard of terrorism, she never heard of economic crisis, etc?

Greta Thunberg saying that the SOLE problem is environment and David Duke saying that the SOLE Problem is the Jews, is equally silly. Life is complicated and there is interplay of many different problems. By acting like you are unaware of it, you just discredit yourself.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 3:27 pm

I also read that, when Greta travelled on the boat, they needed to make at least three plane flights to change the crew. So that kinda ruined her whole goal of avoiding the plane.

In addition to that, when they went to the toilet on the boat, they dumped it into the ocean. Not very environment friendly either.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 8:45 pm

Greta is just a poster child- her words and actions are not her own. Don't really care what she believes the situation is she is simply being used by a group of very wealthy people to manipulate people.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 8:52 pm

liveandletdie wrote:
Greta is just a poster child- her words and actions are not her own. Don't really care what she believes the situation is she is simply being used by a group of very wealthy people to manipulate people.

But remember how she complained how nobody around her cared, not even her parents. So I guess someone who used her were not her parents. So can you be more specific on who was it, and how they did this whole thing under her parents noses?

Its true though that some wealthy+powerful people must be behind it, otherwise how would she even get an access to UN meetings. The question is who, and how was it done behind her parents back?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 9:28 pm

This thread is heavily laden with virtue-signaling, and by people who have likely never met Ms. Thunberg, nor stood up for the environment and spoken truth to authority.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 9:38 pm

What does virtual signaling mean?

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 11:01 pm

QFT wrote:
liveandletdie wrote:

But remember how she complained how nobody around her cared, not even her parents. So I guess someone who used her were not her parents. So can you be more specific on who was it, and how they did this whole thing under her parents noses?

Its true though that some wealthy+powerful people must be behind it, otherwise how would she even get an access to UN meetings. The question is who, and how was it done behind her parents back?

Her parents are basically handlers- it is true they do not care, does not mean that they have no input. (regardless of what she says- she's not the brightest) Its a complex situation- the best way to understand it would be to think of a child pop star in hollywood....the parents sell the children into this lifestyle (they stand to gain a lot of money and have a rich child)- the child may believe they are passionate about the lifestyle and message because that is all they know. Greta also gets a lot of attention that she would not otherwise which goes to her head. I see it all the time in the news- trot out the autistic child to be the poster child for this or that agenda.

Pretty ironic for someone to talk of virtue signaling and then go onto virtue signal about the environment and "truth to authority" >< what a joke.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 11:13 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
What does virtual signaling mean?

Virtue Signaling: What Is It and Why Is It So Dangerous
Quote:
Virtue signaling is defined at the act of publicly expressing opinions in order to demonstrate that you are a good person. However, this has become muddied with placing more importance on the appearance of moral correctness, than the correctness itself.

There are of course some instances in which claiming that a person or organisation is virtue signaling is untrue, however there are many cases in which good is only done at the bare minimum level, and it’s only done in order to receive praise. This is dangerous virtue signaling.

Doing a good deed to help another should come from a place of empathy and compassion. But, when it is done to serve a selfish desire for public praise, this understanding for others is shallow at best. A social injustice cannot be truly understood if someone is only looking at it in terms of how they can utilise it to boost their public image. When good deeds become less about doing good and more about self-promotion, are they really good deeds anymore?

Social media is a massive culprit for opening the door to mass virtue signaling in the greater public. With offering support being as easy – and requiring very little thought – as sharing someone’s Instagram story, or re-tweeting something on Twitter, feeds have been flooded with posts that stand up against social issues.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 11:38 pm

Fnord wrote:
This thread is heavily laden with virtue-signaling, and by people who have likely never met Ms. Thunberg, nor stood up for the environment and spoken truth to authority.

A lot of ableism in this thread.

It has been noted that she talks endlessly about one subject and that she is awkward when being asked questions. Hyper-focusing on one issue is an autistic trait. Being asked questions is both a multitasking effort and an effort that requires spontaneity. Both of these are troublesome for a lot of autistics. These autistic traits are being used to assume Thunberg is "not the brightest" and thus being fed lines. The assumption that Thunberg is incapable of both coming to the conclusions she did and writing her script based on her own knowledge due to her autistic traits is ableism.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 14 Sep 2022, 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2022, 11:44 pm

QFT wrote:
Greta Thunberg saying that the SOLE problem is environment and David Duke saying that the SOLE Problem is the Jews, is equally silly. Life is complicated and there is interplay of many different problems. By acting like you are unaware of it, you just discredit yourself.

Dude! please don't compare Thunberg with Duke

David Duke is human garbage

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2022, 12:31 am

QFT wrote:
P.S. I remember a few times when Greta actually said that if people were to understand how dire the environmental issues are, they won't be talking about anything else. Thats where she discreditted herself right there. So she never heard of terrorism, she never heard of economic crisis, etc?

GAWD...do you realize how much brown stuff you just dumped into your own pants in this one post?

Greta's statement is perfectly sane give her beliefs. Three thousand New Yorkers perished on 9-11. But 8 million New Yorkers may have to pull up stakes and move inland in the next few decades- according to some climate models, because of rising sea levels. The disruptions to the world for billions of people because of climate change makes Al Queda and ISIS combined look trivial. Or they will if you if you buy into the climate models Greta does. My point being that you dont have to agree with her. But given her creed then indeed climate would be THE biggest issue around. There is nothing internally inconsistent about her statement.

So...you fault Duke for saying that the "Jews are the ONLY problem"? But you dont fault him for saying that the Jews are "A" problem at all?

So you think that Jews ARE a problem?

You just admitted to being antisemitic!

So you just demonstrated both bad logic, AND demonstrated antisemitism...in one post!

Good going! :lol: