Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 12:25 am

Does anyone have a sort of "mental echolalia", where you repeat certain words or phrases in your head, instead of just out loud?

I get words or phrases that I'll keep repeating in my head for a day or two. It's usually things that I got from other people, or things that I've heard from shows/games/etc.

I do sometimes repeat things out loud, but I mostly do that with sounds I've heard people or animals make, instead of words.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 11:12 am

I do.
And ends up being a "script" of sorts. More so in writing.
It's a bit different from repeating it in form of speech, and perhaps closer to rewinding the same scenarios over and over...

Like echolalia as to speech, rewatching/hearing/recalling scenarios in the head as to pushing rewind button/clicking/tapping back to a specific scene/time seek in a video.

It doesn't help that I don't trust my auditory processing, working memory and processing speed.

Easily mistaken as a form of emotionally charged flashback loop in the damn head.
I prefer actual mental echolalia over whatever sh*t ignorant human programming is prone to do.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 9:21 am

I get words or phrases stuck in my head like other people get songs stuck in their head. Usually from a movie or TV show, but sometimes from conversations I've had or overheard. I also 'play back' old conversations (sometimes over and over) and 'practice' conversations I expect to have. Even mundane stuff like going to the bank or talking to the girl who cuts my hair. Sometimes I mentally echo words I've just said (like if I say, "Hi!" my brain goes, "Hi! Hi! Hi!") or that someone else just said. It can be so loud that I don't hear what they say back, or I can't hear myself think enough to form an appropriate response. I do have difficulties with echolalia out loud, but sometimes it stays inside my head. My friends and family are used to it, where if I say something weird, I can just stop mid-sentence and say, "No." and then try again.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2022, 1:42 pm

I do that all the time. It helps me to process things.