Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Najash
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2022, 10:39 am

I don't understand how someone can go so far as to make an imitation to make money with the symptoms of a disorder that in some cases can deteriorate in front of your eyes someone you love. I remember the case of a nonverbal boy who died recently because a comorbidity was not detected in time. Very sad.

I think that using or playing with crises, self-stimulations and self-aggressions triggered by autism is not comical.

Taking symptoms of something debilitating to attract attention on a screen is naturalized as internet trending cool. What nonsense.

oklol123
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2022, 12:28 pm

these people are literally part of the reason i'm afraid to tell anyone i'm autistic, because there's so many people faking disorders that they'd probably just assume i'm faking it to be quirky or to get clout

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 12:36 pm

oklol123 wrote:
these people are literally part of the reason i'm afraid to tell anyone i'm autistic, because there's so many people faking disorders that they'd probably just assume i'm faking it to be quirky or to get clout

Me too. My good eye contact and communication skills are enough to make anyone disbelieve autism for a start, because most uneducated NTs think that autism only means extreme, which admittedly I think autism should only mean the extreme (low-functioning, non-verbal, etc). I don't know who's idea it was to stretch out the autism spectrum so far that everyone is practically on the spectrum.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 10:36 pm

I never really did care about Tic Tok and now I know why.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 10:59 pm

TikSchlock is proof that the human race is devolving. I know I sound like a "boomer" or whatever because it's new technology, but I've seen the videos and it's very frightening. I was just on another site a few minutes ago and there was a a genius who claims most autistic people are faking t and that people who are autistic are not "normal" are all mentally ill and the r word, and must be cured. They even said they were offended by the word "neurotypical" and preferred to be called "normal".

My suspicions are that they must watch a lot of TikSchlock.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2022, 11:24 pm

oklol123 wrote:

This stuff predates TikTok and is damaging. In my almost nine years here I have read so many accounts of people who when they describe themselves are obviously autistic 1. Who has not gotten diagnosed and won't because they think they are a horrible attention-seeking NT 2. Who have gotten diagnosed but still doubt their autism due to the belief they faked themselves and their clinician. They are stuck and can't move forward in life because they are tearing themselves apart over the belief they are a horrible person. It is heartbreaking that because of this they doubt their autism or believe they can not tell people who they really are.

The sad part is the problem is not that so many people are faking autism to seem cool or excuse bad behavior, it is the perception there is a massive Autism wannabee phenomenon going on. Most people who try this will not be rewarded like the TikToker but will be sorry they tried this when they soon find out there are all sorts of stigmas and negative assumptions people have about Autistics.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

oklol123
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Jul 2022, 11:55 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
oklol123 wrote:

This stuff predates TikTok and is damaging. In my almost nine years here I have read so many accounts of people who when they describe themselves are obviously autistic 1. Who has not gotten diagnosed and won't because they think they are a horrible attention-seeking NT 2. Who have gotten diagnosed but still doubt their autism due to the belief they faked themselves and their clinician. They are stuck and can't move forward in life because they are tearing themselves apart over the belief they are a horrible person. It is heartbreaking that because of this they doubt their autism or believe they can not tell people who they really are.

The sad part is the problem is not that so many people are faking autism to seem cool or excuse bad behavior, it is the perception there is a massive Autism wannabee phenomenon going on. Most people who try this will not be rewarded like the TikToker but will be sorry they tried this when they soon find out there are all sorts of stigmas and negative assumptions people have about Autistics.

yep, i hope they realize the hardships that actually comes with autism and stop romanticizing it and seeing it as a quirk

Pteranomom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2022, 1:01 am

It's bizarre, but honestly it does predate tiktok. I remember teens being like that way back when I was one, back when we were all on dialup.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 3:47 am

Pteranomom wrote:
It's bizarre, but honestly it does predate tiktok. I remember teens being like that way back when I was one, back when we were all on dialup.

Dear Moby And Miley: Please Shut Up About The Disorders You Don't Actually Have - Jezebel March 28, 2010
Quote:
In a profile in today's New York Times, Moby admitted that though he doesn't have Asperger syndrome, he likes to "pretend I do. It makes me sound more interesting." Yeah, no, Moby. It actually makes you sound like a dick.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 1:14 pm

I already knew there were fakers on Tik Tok. There is a whole subreddit about them on Reddit. But this is the first time I heard about someone making money off their charade.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 1:29 pm

I never understood the "ASD Poseur Culture".  Sure, I used to pretend to be better than I was to get dates -- wear my only suit, flash a few twenties, et cetera -- but why fake a disability where people will insult you for having one?

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 4:25 pm

Being autistic sucks. Why anyone would want to fake having ASD is beyond me.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2022, 8:39 pm

^ There's potential attention, empathy, fame and/or "fortune" to be had. Which this guy got to various degrees.

The apology given isn't genuine.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 8:52 am

Dillogic wrote:
^ There's potential attention, empathy, fame and/or "fortune" to be had. Which this guy got to various degrees.

The apology given isn't genuine.

The “apology” just like the faking autism is a publicity stunt.

rse92 wrote:
Being autistic sucks. Why anyone would want to fake having ASD is beyond me.

There are definitely parts of being autistic that suck and for many they are enough to make being autistic as a whole suck without any outside “help”. But IMHO opinion the stigmas surrounding autism make it suck or make it suck a lot more. These fakers have validated all those who think Autism is overdiagnosed, overhyped, a fake disease used as an excuse to be a lazy rude bum. If I said what I would really like to do to these people I would be banned.

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 02 Aug 2022, 9:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 8:57 am

Not to derail the thread, but why does Tiktok seem to be full of poseurs and jerks?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 9:04 am

I fake being a "normal human" everyday. Why should I care if someone fakes being autistic?