To all the people who adapt to our oddities

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

that1weirdgrrrl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 12:25 pm

To all the beautiful people who adapt to our eccentricities:

Please share your snippets and stories of lovely things people have done for you recently to adapt to your eccentricities.

I want this thread to be a happy place to celebrate special relationships (those people who "get" us - or really try to).

----

Here's one of mine:

Background: when I empty a milk carton, I put it in the freezer until garbage day so I don't have to smell the residual milk rotting in the meantime.

My partner came over to visit one time. He used the last of the milk and just nonchalantly put the container in the freezer.

I was surprised because I never said anything to him about doing that nor explained why I do it.

He casually responded: "That's just how you do things around here."

I guess it sounds silly, but that moment really warmed my heart :heart:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 1:57 pm

I'd like to nominate the people of Broomhall, Sheffield who did me a power of good while I was living there between 1979 and 1982.

They were very friendly, inclusive people who never once rounded on me or shunned me for my odd ways. To them, if you posed no obvious threat, they accepted you. If you simply annoyed them mildly, they overlooked it. If you annoyed them significantly, they'd usually try to resolve the matter in a mutually respectful way.

I didn't know I had ASD at the time, and years later when I began to suspect I did, my main doubt was, if Aspies are supposed to be riddled with social impairments and barely have any friends, why had I done so well socially during that time?

I can't remember offhand any specific thing they did to adapt to my own particular oddities (I didn't even know I had any at the time), but there was one thing they did for everybody that I'll always remember with fondness. It was getting near Christmas / Winter Solstice, and they put leaflets through every door in the district publicising something they called "The Ugly Bug Ball." They'd organised an event for anybody who had nobody to be with. They cared so much about lonely, isolated people that they actually got off their butts and did something about it. I didn't go myself - didn't need to because I had family and more friends than I knew what to do with - but it touched my heart because I could remember only too well that there had been times when I'd been that lonely. Of course the name "Ugly Bug" was deliberate irony. To them there was no such thing as an ugly person.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 12:10 am

^
Sorry, I just noticed you wanted recent examples.

himmellaufen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Oct 2022, 2:29 am

I don't want to talk about that. I don't like to receive special treatment, cause it feels like they are giving me pity.

also this

"we adapt to you, but once you misbehave, our nice and understanding attitude will end"