Does anyone also HATE feeling of waterproof clothing/nylon?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Roo95
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Aug 2018, 7:36 am

Hello. I wanted to know if anyone else on here hates this too. I always thought I never had sensory issues but does anyone else also absolutely HATE the feeling of waterproof clothing and some nylons on your hands?
I own several items of waterproof clothing, an essential when you live in the UK. I can wear nylon waterproof clothing like jackets and waterproof trousers without problem, but its putting them on that causes me issues. I can't stand how the fabric feels on my hands and it's even worse if a fingernail touches it. As the material touches and slides through my hands it just gives me a really unpleasant intense feeling that's hard to describe. It makes me cringe and weirdly enough makes my teeth tingle.
I usually if it's raining and I'm going out, I'll put my waterproof clothes on quick as possible to get it done and over with to reduce the amount of time I have to have contact with my hands with the material.

Olivia_H
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Aug 2018, 8:27 am

Absolutely. In fact, as a child when my mother would force waterproofs onto me I'd protest intensely. The feeling of it on my body is worse than on my hands, but I understand what you mean. I'm similar with brushed cotton, I can't stand it.

Suesbluez
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Nov 2022, 9:12 am

Yes!! !! ! I put it down to being Highly Sensitive. I dint identify as neurodiverse (yet?). Have always hated feeling of nylon parkas, it puts my teeth on edge. I can't stand moving in a jacket made of the stuff, the feeling/sound puts me on edge. Like fingernails scratching a board. 8O

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2022, 2:50 pm

Some fabrics make my scales itchy

The itching started around 35

39 now

A couple of weeks ago I was trying to take off rain pants (polyester) and scales itching

Inconvenient because I work as a lot attendant and sooner or later it will rain

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2022, 4:48 pm

No huge problem with waterproof gloves on my hands, apart from the normal loss of dexterity and the fiddly work of donning and doffing them. They feel a bit yukky, that's all. Though I wouldn't wear them for more than a few minutes, and if it's latex, no way, as I get a mild rash from those, which I gather isn't unusual.

Waterproof clothes and any clothes, bedsheets, pillowcases, chairs, etc. made of plastic of any type are more of a problem. It's as if my skin goes into respiratory distress. Bedclothes are the worst, probably because there's not much else to distract my attention from the sensations they give me, compared to waking life. I can tolerate a wax jacket fine, and a plastic mac for a little while if it's a choice between that and getting soaked. Like most horrible things, a lot depends on the duration.

OTOH I tend to just see myself as sensible for being against the use of such things. I think plastic clothes are rather unhealthy for anybody, so it seems axiomatic that people shouldn't use them unless it's unavoidable. The human race survived for thousands of years without any plastic at all, so it shouldn't be that hard for anybody to avoid being wrapped in it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2022, 5:07 pm

Try wearing pantyhose, or being forced to wear them for work. :evil:

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2022, 1:05 am

It's the noise that waterproof stuff makes that I find most disturbing. I hate having a hoodie over my head anyway and when it's a waterproof one that is making crinkling noises it drives me batty!

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 6:59 am

I don't like the noise or the high shear stiffness of coated fabric, but when I wanted to see if using silk sheets would help me keep from accidentally losing my blankets at night, I tried using an open sleeping bag as a duvet, with the nylon side down. It feels fine to me now.