Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Autumn_Shade
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Aug 2007, 2:57 am

I just saw this movie last night, and OK, this may have been a post before, but it is only just being shown in my area.
What I would really like to know is, what other people here thought of it.
I found Sigourney Weavers interpretation of Autistic Linda very grating, and why is it that when actors portray Autism, they tend to 'overact' ??
But that is just me.
And my NT friend that I saw the movie with. 8O
Anyone else have any views?

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 7:22 am

I haven't heard of this movie but will look for it. I found Sigourney Weaver's perfomance of an agrophobic in Copycat very annoying and poor, I like her in the Alien movies though.
Perhaps part of the problem with these movies is the actors and directors lack of understanding and just reading NT stereotypical ideas of people with different neurological outlooks. Also I think all films are an exageration or microcosm of real life to some extent or else it wouldn't be entertaining.
I also found Mozart and the Whale interesting but exagerated in some respects and didn't like reading 'the curious incident of the dog in the night time' either. The story was not too bad and the events/reactions but the language seemed too deliberately 'ret*d' (for want of a better word - sorry). I talk like a sub-intelligent being to some extent but didn't like that the 'written material ' of the boy was like this too - I think most aspies and auties who are capable of writing do so well and it is mainly speech that is a problem - (open to correction...)

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

alexbeetle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 8:27 am

just read imdb and various websites and they did have an austistic person to advise/coach sigourney so I will take back previous comment and wait and see what I think when I watch it (buying from amazon so this will be in a couple of days).

Can anyone recommend any really good films/programmes/fictional books with autistic people in?

I quite like 'Bones' and have the dvds, they never openly say anything about autism but the main character and one sidekick especially appear to have AS, others may just be extreme nerds.

It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 9:16 am

I waited a long time for that to come out in the cinemas.

Turned out it weren't released at my local one, so at some point I'm getting it on DVD. It looks good. :)

Margie60
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Aug 2007, 6:17 pm

I've heard that Boston Legal either has, or will have in the next season a new lawyer who has AS.

Autumn_Shade
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Aug 2007, 8:23 pm

alexbeetle wrote:
I haven't heard of this movie but will look for it. I found Sigourney Weaver's perfomance of an agrophobic in Copycat very annoying and poor, I like her in the Alien movies though.

Yes, maybe it is just her lack of acting skills that made me dislike the portrayal. Perhaps she should stick to sci-fi...

Quote:
I also found Mozart and the Whale interesting but exagerated in some respects and didn't like reading 'the curious incident of the dog in the night time' either. The story was not too bad and the events/reactions but the language seemed too deliberately 'ret*d' (for want of a better word - sorry). I talk like a sub-intelligent being to some extent but didn't like that the 'written material ' of the boy was like this too - I think most aspies and auties who are capable of writing do so well and it is mainly speech that is a problem - (open to correction...)

I agree with you whole-heartedly. I liked Mozart and the Whale, but again found some acting exaggerated. When he is in the interview for example. Not making eye contact doesn't involve completely turning the head to the side, does it?
Also, I agree with you about Curious incident. I found myself thinking perhaps he had other cognitive disabilities to make him come across as so 'ret*d'. :?
Still, it is a good story, and alerted a lot of people to their own family Aspie, I believe. :wink:

I'm not sure about other films etc. I can't think of others just at the moment.
However, I found Dustin Hoffman's portrayal in Rainman more believable than most.
I have heard that about Boston Legal also, although I have not watched it.

aspiebegood
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2007, 10:32 am

I think Weaver did a splendid job of portraying an autistic woman during a time of crisis.

Margie60
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Aug 2007, 12:40 pm

Here's a short clip of the lawyer with Asperger's on Boston Legal:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XKsuQ_66lH4

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

16 Aug 2007, 4:35 am

My husband and I saw Snow Cake on the weekend and really enjoyed it.

I thought Weaver did a good job and I found her character extremely likeable.

I don't think there'll ever be 100% agreement about an actors portrayal of HFA/Asperger's because everyone with HFA/Asperger's are individuals and different to each other.

In one scene I was expecting Alan Rickman to pull out his wand and cast a spell! :lol:

Helen

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 4:54 am

I think Weaver's performance was a little OTT, she got some things right but it was just a bit over reached.