Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 6:14 pm

Herbal teas always affect me strongly, but often not in the described ways. For example, chamomile and other "relaxing" tea tend to make me more awake and alert. It's great to clear up fogginess. Actually if I drink too much I might have trouble sleeping. I suspect that they do reduce anxiety, thus increasing my focus? I have recommended a couple blends to everybody I know and I probably sound like some snake oil salesman. Got a headache, indigestion, hangover, anxiety or depression? Try this stuff. :D

I'm very careful about trying a new herbal tea, though. I go through ingredients very carefully and sometimes even pick out pieces I don't want. How about you? Do you think your brain/body/gut might be more sensitive to herbal stuff?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 9:09 pm

Chamomile -- No notable effects :?

Standard Green Tea -- Jetlags and irritability (I'd rather just straight up drink coffee or carbonated drinks)

Spearmint -- None. Can't do it for a month straight.

Lemon Balm -- It does put this irritable feeling inside me down.
But doesn't necessarily help me sleep, relax, solve my issue related to executive function, nor make me less impulsive and make me less hurried.
Doesn't also help this fog in my head, nor did with the overwhelm or anything else related to stress supposedly.
I'd just use it during PMS.

Also doesn't help that the effects might be influenced by which phase of reproductive cycle I'm currently been.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Last edited by Edna3362 on 17 Feb 2023, 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 9:14 pm

I don't drink tea.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 10:21 pm

Mostly I haven't noticed any effect at all, except for some of the flavours and aromas giving my mood a bit of a boost simply on account of how pleasant they are. Even high-caffeine tea doesn't seem to do anything to me, though I've noticed a high enough dose of caffeine powder (typically 400mg) starts to have an effect, and if I drink non-decaffeinated tea all the time then I sometimes get an eye twitch. And jasmine might have a marginal effect on lifting my spirits, but I haven't proved it. I'm probably rather impervious to the pharmocological effects of normal doses of herbal tea. I'm the same with aspirin and paracetamol, they have no noticeable effect at the recommended dose.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 10:51 pm

Strange is that I feel some mind clearing effects with low dosage aspirin.

Except it only lasts for an hour and only works half the time. Upping the dosage doesn't affect this change of happening.

If I consume it without enough food, I'll give me jitters for hours instead. I'm aware that it's harsh on the stomach.

:|

I rarely had to use pain killers. I only use it for having menstrual cramps which is uncommon and it had to be with a particular brand to work.

Except so far, any pain killers I ever took hadn't able to solve my regularly occuring headaches.
It only works with the type of headaches that wasn't caused by the same regular occuring headaches, which is typically more painful.

And I cannot afford to test meds.
Most meds affects my performance at work to a point that I had to look for an antihistamine with lowest dosage possible.

Other teas I remember consuming:

Grey earl -- no notable effect.

Some infusion of chamomile, lavander and lemon balm -- low grade relaxation.
Doesn't make me more productive or feel better, and doesn't help me sleep better as it meant to. But it's best when I have to make a monthly reset.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 1:51 am

Yes; they warm me up.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 3:31 am

in the sense of growing, collecting and making/mixing herbal teas
selling is difficult, a good product doesn't do it, its the story you tell, im not a doctor or a guru,
(eg supermarket ht tells you its for slimming, i couldn't tell that, legally not, and i wouldn't believe that myself)
oh well it then goes for gifts :brilsmurf:
- - or hoarding :mrgreen:

eg like that- with another tag ofcourse
favs

i guess internet selling would be viable, but i do not care for doing that :roll:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 10:06 am

^
Now you mention it, I used to be in a small group that grew and sold organic medicinal and culinary herbs. We never so much as broke even. It was back in the late 1980s when organic stuff was barely known, so there wasn't much interest in the organic angle. There were many other reasons why we didn't do so well economically. But it was good fun while it lasted.

We noticed there's a law against making unproven claims about merchandise. You can't say a herbal tea helps you sleep or improves your mood (unless there's strong evidence that it does), but you can call it "sleepytea" or "happytea" even if it does nothing of the kind. We never bothered, we just called our herbs by their proper names. But we did issue a booklet that honestly explained some of their uses.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 8:07 pm

I guess maybe it's nothing to do with autism then. I've always been sensitive to herbal stuff. I guess that's a good thing that they are so effective for me. A cup of tea can make me feel on top of the world and some really helps me get over a cold or cough. :)

I used to wonder why anyone would do drugs when a tea bag would work the same. :D Selling herbs online is not too bad if you live somewhere with cheap shipping options. I ordered stuff from Etsy and they're great quality, and I don't have to take a vacation to find some obscure products. Unfortunately Shipping is expensive in North America for small sellers.