Would you relocate/do anything to join an Aspie kibbutz?

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Star
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2007, 4:54 pm

I think some people misunderstood the meaning of a kibbutz. A kibbutz is a sttlement where each person or couple or family has their own house, apartment or living quarters. What it common is the area where the meals are served, the recreation and the work.

Each member chooses what 'duties' they want to perform and a scedule is made of who will be doing what at specific days and times. The rest is up to each to decide.

If one wants solitude they can stay in their quarters, if they want company they can join the others. If they want to work on a project they can put their name on a list, etc.

Nothing is meant to force anyone to do or participate if they don't want to, but they do have to put a certain amount of hours of work/service in or the whole thing can't work. When and how these hours will be fulfilled can be up to the individual.

Star

Last edited by Star on 13 Aug 2007, 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nobodyzdream
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 5:07 pm

If our families and such were accepted, most likely, but I must admit it would probably be a temporary thing for me, lol. I tend to have very little tolerance when I'm listening to others talk about things that are not in my interest range (I would understand why and all that, but I wouldn't be able to keep up, therefore it would be very stressful), so I don't see where it would be much different than living where I am at now. I think it would be a very quiet community most likely, as we are all fairly introverted, and I've read loads of people talking about how they never leave their houses and such.

I'm my own guinea pig.

Last edited by nobodyzdream on 13 Aug 2007, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 5:07 pm

Sylvius, you would be free to come and go as you please, without any obligations. :D

HankPym: elaborate! :D

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2007, 11:31 pm

Ana54 wrote:
Jennyfoo: but we'd understand you and leave you alone when you wanted it!

Nah, I still stand by my statement. I can not stand people invading my space, my place of residence. I need my space. I couldn't even handle my little sister living with me for a few months and I've known her for 22 years and am about as close to her as I could ever be with someone who is not in my immediate family(hubby and kids). I am a complete anti-social control-freak. Believe me, you'd not want me as part of your commune anyway. LOL!

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 12:30 am

But if you had your own HOUSE and LAND in our commune... oh well, you have it there... but if ever you want visitors, let us know. :D

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2007, 4:06 am

Ana54 wrote:
But if you had your own HOUSE and LAND in our commune... oh well, you have it there... but if ever you want visitors, let us know. :D

LOL! As long as I can have my own private backyard where I can garden and landscape in privacy and I can basically pretend that the neighbors(all you aspies. haha) don't exist, and come and go as I please, ignoring everyone in my wake, and only venture out when I need to go shopping or enjoy nature by myself. Can you arrange for the places I'd need to shop to be vacated when I'm coming? LOL! You can alert the compound that Jennyfoo is venturing out of her cave, so please shut all the blinds, don't look at her and her family, and pretend that they are not there. LOL! Oh, and the ability to walk everywhere is a must because I have severe anxiety issues around driving, but distances can't be far cuz I've got a bum foot.

Ok, I'm not really as bad as I sound, but I seriously have MAJOR anxiety issues. I do well and keep it to myself. I behave well in public. My hubby is great and can tell when I'm about ready to run screaming from a crowded room and will suggest I step outside or into the bathroom away from people for a minute. When we go out shopping, I seriously walk twice as much as necessary for shopping. I avoid all isles with people in them if possible and come back after the've left. It takes a long time to get my shopping done. I sometimes wish the Rapture really would happen and all the Christians would be taken up to Heaven so I can have my space here.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 12:24 pm

The idea would never work. It requires money for each householder to maintain their own quarters. Since the majority of AS people don't or won't work you can't have 50 people sitting on their butts while 3 industries Aspies make a living to pay the bills. Also seeing as most Aspies have packrat and messiness issues the whole community would turn into a rat infested health problem. I find when I am around other autistics my symptoms get even worse, therefore I say its unhealthy for AS to live in groups. An AS community would also attract crime and assaults as gangstas would see us as weak and easy to dominate. No thanks!

username88
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 12:40 pm

Quote:
Ok, I'm not really as bad as I sound, but I seriously have MAJOR anxiety issues. I do well and keep it to myself. I behave well in public. My hubby is great and can tell when I'm about ready to run screaming from a crowded room and will suggest I step outside or into the bathroom away from people for a minute. When we go out shopping, I seriously walk twice as much as necessary for shopping. I avoid all isles with people in them if possible and come back after the've left. It takes a long time to get my shopping done. I sometimes wish the Rapture really would happen and all the Christians would be taken up to Heaven so I can have my space here.

Im the exact same way! But Im getting better as each day passes.. Not by much but its a little progress. And I adore your last sentence, I really feel your pain there!

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2007, 12:53 pm

Ticker wrote:
I find when I am around other autistics my symptoms get even worse, therefore I say its unhealthy for AS to live in groups.

But when AS people hang together, are they really getting worse symptoms or do they just feel more comfortable being themselves since they're with people who are similar in many respects?

I know that as I have embraced my introverted, bitchy, people-hating nature, I express that side of me more since I am more comfortable being myself. I don't think that I am any worse than I was when I was trying to "play NT", but I am a lot more comfortable just being me. I live with an AS husband, 2 AS kids, one NT kid, and an animal menagerie.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 1:43 pm

Jennyfoo wrote:
Ticker wrote:
I find when I am around other autistics my symptoms get even worse, therefore I say its unhealthy for AS to live in groups.

But when AS people hang together, are they really getting worse symptoms or do they just feel more comfortable being themselves since they're with people who are similar in many respects?

I know that as I have embraced my introverted, bitchy, people-hating nature, I express that side of me more since I am more comfortable being myself. I don't think that I am any worse than I was when I was trying to "play NT", but I am a lot more comfortable just being me. I live with an AS husband, 2 AS kids, one NT kid, and an animal menagerie.

All I can say is when I am around other AS I stutter more, I have more trouble finding the right words and more trouble looking others in the eye. I also tend to become less coordinated and drop stuff. Therefore I find it terribly unhealthy for myself to be around people with AS that have it worse than I do. I find myself more comfortable behaving in normal patterns and being around people that can have normal conversations. Normal conversation is enjoyable to me. That's why I like going to work each day so I can talk to people.

Sylvius
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Aug 2007, 7:05 pm

Ana54 wrote:
Sylvius, you would be free to come and go as you please, without any obligations. :D

No obligations? Star's description seems to disagree with you, there.

Avian
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2007, 3:43 pm

Ana54 wrote:
I would.