Is having an obsession (or obsessions) problematic?

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2023, 8:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Totally about context.

Obsession with cannibalism: turn-off

Obsession with botany: a-ok!

You can drive folks away by monologuing about botony as easily as you can monologing about anything else.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2023, 7:47 pm

Obsessions are fine if they are harmless. Like they don't hurt anyone or your wallet and are legal. If your obsessions are not too weird you can probably find a forum or group for them and hang out with others who like them. :)

Sometimes if you feel obsessive about something that's not possible or is harmful, you should probably talk to a therapist and try to switch it. The world is full of fascinating stuff and you might find a new worthy hobby. I once (during a deep depression) forced myself to go to the community center and sign up for any art class they had. Got into a wood carving class and met some of the most warm and caring people. I then took some other classes and also volunteered for that community center. Made some very nice artwork and a few new friends.

yurguardianangel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2023, 2:14 pm

Obsessions probably all my alternative clothing,many studded belts,wristbands,band t-shirts,many beanies etc.
If I'm going out anywhere nice or posing in pics I'll wear certain outfits. Around the house I don't bother.

Also I'm obsessed by bouncy castles/commercial grade inflatables. So I have a few commercial grade inflatables stored in the garage,1.5hp blowers,metal stakes,sand bags,blower leads,sack trolley,etc.
However I don't think about it 24/7. Nor do I use them in my garden that often. Only occasionally in good weather.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 8:59 pm

I'm obsessed with The Kinks. I only talk about them once in a blue moon.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 10:25 pm

You can't be brilliant at something without being obsessed. There's nothing wrong with that. But that doesn't mean you need to talk to other people about it nonstop. That's just annoying. It's a lesson I'm trying to teach my AS son. But he doesn't listen--he's too busy monologuing.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 10:33 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
Obsessions are problematic if:

If it doesn't align with safety, function and job, or certain ideas of whatever standards or value you prioritize over.

Intrusive, distressing, unacceptable, isolating, causing mental health issues.

Poorly expressed or impulsively shared, poorly compartmentalized, and leads to neglect.

^ that. They can be problematic under circumstances like those.

Beyond that, eh, if it's not hurting you or anyone else, I say not so problematic. I know people here are mentioning that it can be aggravating or annoying to have someone carry on and on. I might be in the minority here, but I kinda like it when people get really into something. I like it when folks tell me all about things that they're passionate about and love. I don't care if they carry on and on about it. I think it's great. That said, I rarely get into things I'm really into with other people. I type a lot here, but I'm mostly silent in my day to day life and rather private as well. I'd much rather listen than discuss my own obsessions. And I have certainly had some over the years.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 3:10 am

Mikurotoro92 wrote:
I scared away all my Facebook friends because of my "obsessions"

What kinds of things are/were you obsessed with?

As others here have pointed out, some kinds of obsessions are intrinsically problematic. Others are fine, as long as they don't interfere with getting necessary work done.

Also, if you want to talk to other people (more than very briefly) about your obsessions, it's important to find people who have a strong interest in the same things. Talking non-stop about your obsessions to anyone else will inevitably bore them.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 8:27 pm

If I can't talk about my obsessions/special interests with people, I do not consider those people my friends.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 8:47 pm

Yes, an important part of friendship, for me, is shared interests. I don't necessarily expect a friend to share all of my interests, but I do need them to share at least some of them.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 8:50 pm

Mikurotoro92 wrote:
I scared away all my Facebook friends because of my "obsessions"

I feel like a loser

What are they? That might play a role.

It's important to balance how much you talk about them. I'm certain you'd be sick of hearing about racing long before I'm sick of talking about it, so it would be tiring for me to only ever discuss racing with you.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う