Page 6 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 2:57 am

Woodpecker wrote:
The problem is that the "modern left" is not homogenious, there are people on the left who deny science (these are postmodernists who deny that there is such a thing as a fact).

"Feelings are more important that the facts."
It staggers a rational mind.

The Truth has become unfashionable once again, Galileo. :wink:

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 9:55 am

As I've said here before, Greta was the reason I began to question the climate change narrative which I was loosely on board with beforehand.

I thought she might mature as she entered her 20s and have something interesting to say, reflecting on her own naivety and offering a more balanced perspective, but I saw that recent video of her being challenged unprepared and without a script and all she could do was giggle like a little girl, which is fine, she's autistic and it's not untypical for autistics to behave like children well into their 20s and beyond, as I did, but this is not somebody that anybody should be taking seriously on an important issue that requires serious debate between serious people with a genuine depth of knowledge.

I would not want her on my side for any cause I happened to believe in, she's clearly a liability unless you believe she appeals to kids around the age of 11-14 and that impressionable children will retain those same views as they mature, which most probably won't.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 11:43 am

I think that many Autistic people who are challenged unprepared might have a similar reaction. It's probably not fair to judge her on that.

Wreck It Ralph

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 1:29 pm

A List of Awards For Greta Thunberg's Achievements in Climate
Change Activism Through Her Teen Years of Ages 16 Thru 19;

Notable That She Suffered From Depression For The 4 Years
of 11 Thru 15 Before She Achieved All These Global Awards:

Time's 25 most influential teens of 2018

Fryshuset scholarship, 2018, for Young Role Model of the Year

Nobel Peace Prize nomination, 2019 and 2020

Swedish Woman of the Year, 2019

Rachel Carson Prize, March 2019

Goldene Kamera film and television
awards, March 2019, special Climate Action Award

Time 100 most influential people in the world, April 2019

Laudato si' Prize, April 2019

Honorary degree of Doctor honoris causa (dr.h.c.),
May 2019, conferred by the Belgian, University of Mons

The Geddes Environment Medal, July 2019,
by the Royal Scottish Geographical Society,

Honorary Fellowship of the Royal Scottish
Geographical Society, July 2019

Right Livelihood Award, September 2019

Keys to the City of Montréal, September 2019

International Children's Peace Prize, October 2019

Maphiyata echiyatan hin win (Woman Who Came from
the Heavens), Lakota tribal name conferred, October 2019

Time Person of the Year, December 2019

Glamour Woman of the Year Award 2019

One of the BBC's 100 women of 2019

Nature's 10, 2019, December 2019

Forbes list of The World's 100 Most Powerful Women, 2019

Forbes 30 under 30 Europe 2020 - Social Entrepreneurs

Human Act Award, on Earth Day, 22 April 2020

Best in Activism (from Tech & Innovation category)
at the 12th Shorty Awards, on 3 May 2020

Gulbenkian Prize for Humanity, in July 2020

Women in Youth Activism Award at the 2021

Honorary Doctor of Laws (LLD), 31 May 2021,
conferred by the University of British Columbia,

The following species have been described and named after Greta Thunberg:

Nelloptodes gretae, by Michael Darby, Natural History Museum, UK, December 2019

Thunberga greta, in a new genus Thunberga gen nov, both by Peter Jäger, June 2020

Opacuincola gretathunbergae, by Verhaege & Haase, 2021

It's Only Amusing When Folks Try To Bring Down Someone
With This Stature Globe-Wide; Yet The AWARDS SPEAK LOUDER;

AND She Will Never Be Forgotten For Life Achievements As A Teenager
That Most "Mere Mortals" Couldn't Imagine Achieving in A Lifetime of Effort...

It's True, Humans Can Do Something

Special With Their Lives If They

PUT Forth THE EFFORT FOR REAL

far away from just talking the talk...

Even Overcoming Several Functional
Disabilities As A Real Shining Star

Of A Human Being...

Meanwhile, We Have
The Other 'Poster
Boy' For 'Asperger's
Syndrome,' Elon Musk;

Just
Yuck,

Head Twitter
Troll in Charge;

He Hasn't Been off the Planet;

Yet His Core Mission Still Is

He Wants to Live On Mars;

Better to Put More Effort into
Saving the Only Planet He Will (Or His Children)
Ever Be Evolved on to Live For Real, Like Greta...

Other Than That Modern Neuroscience Shows

Most All Reasons/Actions Are Driven By Emotions (Feelings/Senses) First;

And Our Word Thinking Mind Comprises Less than 5 Percent of Potential Mindful Awareness...

And of Course, This is Why Folks Like Donald Trump Are So Effective in Negative Ways For Change;

And Of Course This is Why Folks Like Greta Are So Effective in Positive Ways For Change;

Yes, CHARISMA;

Both Positive
And Negative
Leads to Change;

And Typically Again,
Humans Are Led Most
To Actions and Reasons For Those
Actions And Reasons First By Emotions...

Those Who Take Advantage of this REALITY
Are Typically the So-Called 'Winners' in Life...

And It's True, the Emotions That Greta And
Donald Use Are Rather Limited in Terms of

Fear, Anger, And Even Hate For Both; Yet it Works;

On The Other Hand, Emotions That Are Pro-Social,
Integral, Harmonious, And Radiant Lead to More

Overall Beautiful

Realities of
Existence...

Yet of Course
They Also May Be
Used to MaNiPuLaTE
Other Humans For
More Selfish Nefarious

Purposes too...

Yet True,
Without
Balance With
Nature Comes
The Inevitable
Consequences of What

Happens to Most All Species
That Live Out of Balance With Nature:

Misery and Suffering; And Overall Discontent...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greta_Thunberg

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 1:59 pm

Pepe wrote:
Woodpecker wrote:
The problem is that the "modern left" is not homogenious, there are people on the left who deny science (these are postmodernists who deny that there is such a thing as a fact).

Sadly it is true that we live in a world where "feelings" are more important than facts. Some years ago I had a person telling me that I need to accept the validity of people's feelings. I asked if the feelings of the "Brixton Nailbomber" should be respected and should I accept his twisted view of how the world should be. I have zero respect for his feelings, the postmodernist did not have a reply to this.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 4:44 pm

Sometimes, if we don't know what is going on, it is essential to be able to pick up clues from people. If everyone starts running, it is usually a good idea to run with them. Following the herd is also the best option if there just is not enough time to think about what is best. However, if there is hard evidence available, none of the rest matters. I once told a journalist acquaintance that he'd promoted a stock fraud, and he countered that so many others couldn't be wrong. It only took high school math and physics to see that their claims were quite impossible, but the scam ran another decade before someone proved it by experiment.
In the case of climate science, I care not a whit for the minutae of one personality. The first time I went to Banff, Canada, I walked on the Columbia Ice Field, an Alpine glacier terminating in lovely Lake Louise. There was a fine old stone hotel for guests to admire the view from. The second time I went there, I saw a vast expanse of rubble, and a distant scrap of ice. I have no reason to suspect that the other reports of glaciers melting are wrong. I've even seen someone surfing on a wave created by glacial calving. This has obviously not been going on for long. It is absurd to try to prove otherwise by examining a personality.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 7:56 pm

skibum wrote:
I think that many Autistic people who are challenged unprepared might have a similar reaction. It's probably not fair to judge her on that.

Agreed.
*I* giggle and run away every time a gang-stalker accosts me. <joke> :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 7:58 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Woodpecker wrote:

Sadly it is true that we live in a world where "feelings" are more important than facts. Some years ago I had a person telling me that I need to accept the validity of people's feelings. I asked if the feelings of the "Brixton Nailbomber" should be respected and should I accept his twisted view of how the world should be. I have zero respect for his feelings, the postmodernist did not have a reply to this.

"Postmodernists" be crazy, man. 8)

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 8:13 am

Dear_one wrote:
Sometimes, if we don't know what is going on, it is essential to be able to pick up clues from people. If everyone starts running, it is usually a good idea to run with them. Following the herd is also the best option if there just is not enough time to think about what is best. .

I take your point, but I certainly wouldn't be inclined to follow a bunch of hysterical young girls running past me in the opposite direction, I'd assume they were playing or mucking about and I'm guessing a lot of people are now struggling to take this movement seriously with Greta being thrust forward as its' spokesperson and/or figurehead in main stream media circles. That may or may not be a good thing depending on what the future actually delivers.

Put it this way, if some cute 17 year old miming to pop songs about boys and candy on tik-tok was suddenly being seen everywhere talking about what should be done about Ukraine and she was being taken seriously by newscasters and journalists to the point of becoming the poster girl for either ramping up the offensive or pulling out altogether, I'd have to reassess my own position on the matter and wonder why they're having to resort to using a kid for emotional leverage if the facts alone aren't good enough to stand up to scrutiny.

As for Greta herself. I obviously relate on some level and fear this won't end well for her personally. It's common for young people thrust into the public spotlight at an early age to go way off the rails once they realise they've been locked into a mould not entirely of their own making whilst they were barely into the initial stage of growing up into an adult. My gut instinct is that she's being exploited and it all feels very cynical.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2023, 1:12 am

I think she is a little naive. She thinks humans be extinct in 20 years-actually less now because she said that a few years ago. I don't see any evidence supporting that idea.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2023, 4:18 am

ProfessorJohn wrote:
I think she is a little naive. She thinks humans be extinct in 20 years-actually less now because she said that a few years ago. I don't see any evidence supporting that idea.

Quote:
More than three decades before Greta Thunberg was born — the Swedish environmental activist on climate change — more than 20 million Americans participated in the first Earth Day on April 22, 1970.

We now look back at quotes from Earth Day, Then and Now,” by Ronald Bailey, Reason.com. May 1, 2000 of the spectacularly wrong apocalyptic predictions from Earth Day 1970.

Quote:
Behold the coming apocalypse as predicted on and around Earth Day, 1970:

“Civilization will end within 15 or 30 years unless immediate action is taken against problems facing mankind.” — Harvard biologist George Wald

“We are in an environmental crisis which threatens the survival of this nation, and of the world as a suitable place of human habitation.” — Washington University biologist Barry Commoner

“Man must stop pollution and conserve his resources, not merely to enhance existence but to save the race from intolerable deterioration and possible extinction.” — New York Times editorial

“Population will inevitably and completely outstrip whatever small increases in food supplies we make. The death rate will increase until at least 100-200 million people per year will be starving to death during the next ten years.” — Stanford University biologist Paul Ehrlich

“Most of the people who are going to die in the greatest cataclysm in the history of man have already been born… [By 1975] some experts feel that food shortages will have escalated the present level of world hunger and starvation into famines of unbelievable proportions. Other experts, more optimistic, think the ultimate food-population collision will not occur until the decade of the 1980s.” — Paul Ehrlich

“It is already too late to avoid mass starvation,” — Denis Hayes, Chief organizer for Earth Day

“Demographers agree almost unanimously on the following grim timetable: by 1975 widespread famines will begin in India; these will spread by 1990 to include all of India, Pakistan, China and the Near East, Africa. By the year 2000, or conceivably sooner, South and Central America will exist under famine conditions…. By the year 2000, thirty years from now, the entire world, with the exception of Western Europe, North America, and Australia, will be in famine.” — North Texas State University professor Peter Gunter

“In a decade, urban dwellers will have to wear gas masks to survive air pollution… by 1985 air pollution will have reduced the amount of sunlight reaching earth by one half.” — Life magazine

“At the present rate of nitrogen buildup, it’s only a matter of time before light will be filtered out of the atmosphere and none of our land will be usable.” — Ecologist Kenneth Watt

“Air pollution…is certainly going to take hundreds of thousands of lives in the next few years alone.” — Paul Ehrlich

“By the year 2000, if present trends continue, we will be using up crude oil at such a rate… that there won’t be any more crude oil. You’ll drive up to the pump and say, ‘Fill ‘er up, buddy,’ and he’ll say, ‘I am very sorry, there isn’t any.'” — Ecologist Kenneth Watt

“[One] theory assumes that the earth’s cloud cover will continue to thicken as more dust, fumes, and water vapor are belched into the atmosphere by industrial smokestacks and jet planes. Screened from the sun’s heat, the planet will cool, the water vapor will fall and freeze, and a new Ice Age will be born.” — Newsweek magazine

“The world has been chilling sharply for about twenty years. If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder in the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us into an ice age.” — Kenneth Watt

History seems to repeat itself as there will be a disproportionately influential group of doomsters predicting that the future–and the present–never looked so bleak. I guess we’ll need to critique the 2020 doomsday predictions in the year 2050 and see if they were any better than those from the first Earth Day 50 years ago.

This piece first appeared on CFACT.org.

https://www.newgeography.com/content/00 ... redictions

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2023, 4:25 am

ProfessorJohn wrote:

Quote:
A tweet made five years ago by activist Greta Thunberg has sparked a wave of ridicule on Twitter. In the June 2018 publication, Thunberg echoed a talk given by a "top climate scientist" at the University of Chicago in which he asserted that "climate change will end humanity unless we stop using fossil fuels in the next five years."

According to Greta & Co., we have only 3 months to go. EEP! 8O

I have heard that Greta has deleted this tweet. 8)

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2023, 6:16 am

Pepe wrote:
ProfessorJohn wrote:

Quote:
A tweet made five years ago by activist Greta Thunberg has sparked a wave of ridicule on Twitter. In the June 2018 publication, Thunberg echoed a talk given by a "top climate scientist" at the University of Chicago in which he asserted that "climate change will end humanity unless we stop using fossil fuels in the next five years."

According to Greta & Co., we have only 3 months to go. EEP! 8O

I have heard that Greta has deleted this tweet. 8)

It's a cult. What do they need logic for?