Autistic people here who are HYPOsensitive to sound?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

wanderandwonder
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Sep 2023, 1:15 pm

I was hypersensitive to sound as a kid and was terrified of loud noises. As an adult though, I'm quite oblivious to sound. I keep hearing about how autistic people are hypersensitive to sound and see so many posts on this in online autistic spaces. So, I'm curious, are there any autistic people here who are hyposensitive to sound?

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2023, 4:23 pm

That is the other side to Sensory Processing Disorder

-
SPD can affect one sense or multiple senses. Children who have SPD may overreact to sounds, clothing, and food textures. Or they may underreact to sensory input. This causes them to crave more intense thrill-seeking stimuli.
-
https://familydoctor.org/condition/sens ... rder-spd/#
Look at "Symptoms of sensory processing disorder"

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Sep 2023, 5:03 pm

It's situationally dependent to me. I am normally hypersensitive. If I am actively focused on something, and the sound is not horribly louder than background sounds, I can miss it entirely. OR, if I am being inundated with noise, it's just all a jumble, and picking out any particular sound is a lost cause.

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NPD, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................